Racket recommendation for 8 year old

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by chongyf, Nov 14, 2012.

1. chongyf

chongyf Regular Member

Senior System Engineer
    Hi there,

Can you good folks here recommend a good lightweight racket for my 8 yo kid? He has played for a year and recently got more into it and just started attending training. The old racket is kinda heavy and I want to replace it with a lighter racket that gives good control. Would appreciate if you guys can recommend a good racket below rm400 suitable for an eight year old.

Thanks.

2. chongyf

chongyf Regular Member

Senior System Engineer
    No recommendation?

3. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

You'll want something flexible, and as head-heavy as he can handle. This'll allow him to play clears and smashes he'd otherwise find difficult. If strength isn't a problem, try going slightly stiffer, as he won't be using flexible once he's #50 in the world ;) :p

I suggest you optimise his power, and teach the control, as even with the most perfect control, he won't be winning any matches if he can't hit further than half-court.

Further than that; no recommendations. Try out a few rackets to see what suits him. Nobody here will be able to divine a perfect racket for him.

4. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

My two juniors are 9yo and 10yo. They have tendencies to prefer head heavy rackets for ease to do base to base. They use Yonex Voltric 70 and Arc Saber DX9 now but really there are tonnes of value for money rackets in the market you can select. You can get the spec you want at half the price of a Yonex or Li Ning. This way you can buy more rackets as option instead of one which is very expensive. Competition junior players need 2 or 3 freshly strung rackets. Let your junior select his/her preference. Buy a few variation of weights eg. 4U or 5U and different flexs and different bal eg. 290 or 285. Stringing is equally important. Somehow my kids love high strung rackets 28 lbs. After one month, the tension will drop to 27 or 26Ibs. Good Luck!

Our blog here... www.juniorshuttlers.blogspot.com

5. SC1784

SC1784 New Member

My 10yr old daughter uses an Apacs Z Slayer (medium flex w/smaller racket head shape). I think it's a clone of the Yonex Arcsaber Z Slash, and she also has a Li Ning Windstorm 660 (flexible racket). She likes the Z Slayer better due to the medium flex. Apacs rackets are very affordable; some are Yonex clones while others are their own originals. My daughter has had numerous racket clashes with the Z Slayer and she is lucky it's not broken. :)

My daughter does not like head heavy rackets as she finds head heavy rackets too heavy for her. Perhaps it due to her small size, and the lack of strength.

My son plays with a Yonex Voltric 80 and an Apacs Nano 900 Power (clone of Yonex Armotec 900 Power). Both are head heavy and stiffer. My niece uses an Apacs Edgesaber 10, and just got the Yonex Arcsaber 10 as a gift. The Edgesaber is a clone if the Arscaber. The Arcsaber 10 is a popular classic racket.

I agree with the previous members that the best way is to have your son try various rackets if possible. Everyone is different with different preferences.

Good luck.

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

This is the funniest thing I've read on here in ages... 10 year olds using Voltric 70's at 28lbs? :p

7. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    Why funny?,
    My Bro (10 yo) plays better in every aspect (power, precession, deception and defense) with a racket strung at 28 lbs as with racket strung at 22lbs.
    Just let the kids decide what is best for them^^

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

So you're saying he's 10 and is playing with 28lbs? How can they generate any power at that tension?

9. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

Hi LD,

The Voltric70 spec not more than 25Lbs. So its strung at 25Lbs but this grip is far from ideal for juniors as its G3 grip. The Arcsaber DX9 was strung at 28Lbs & G5 grip and my kids loved it. I know about the theories on tension and all that, believe me I have let them tried dozens of other rackets and tensions. You will be the judge of it when they come and tell you... Dad, I can play better with this racket!

10. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Not a funny at all. if the kid happy with it, let them use it. I know 10 Years old boy, played in Men Single department with N90 gen 1 strung at 27 Lbs or probably higher.

11. roadgamethes

roadgamethes New Member

teacher
    yeah, played in Men Single department with N90 gen 1 strung at 27 Lbs or probably higher.thanks [​IMG]

12. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i also have seen kids at that age use a heavier racket at higher tension than i, so it's no joke :)

13. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Just make sure it is SAFE for the kids - that is the key ....

Kids don't know much and tends to be much more gung-ho than adults and they may be suffering and playing through the pain barrier in the wrists and shoulders without telling ... they will say that their "heroes" LCW and LD can use this and that .... you know what I mean ... You ask any Asian kids and they will tell you, they want VTZF or N90 at 30-33 lbs just because LCW and LD use that !! :rolleyes:

So, as a PARENT, do take that in mind. Why take the risk ? Let them grow up the tension scale.