workout routine

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Nicky_Boy02, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Nicky_Boy02

Nicky_Boy02 Regular Member

Space Explorer
    Can anyone kind enough to write a workout routine for strength and stamina improvement? I want to improve my smash power, so is it advisable to do weight-lifting? I know stamina training is basically more on jogging and rope skipping. I'm just not sure what to train to improve hitting power. Anyone is kind enough to write a one week training schedule thing for me? Thanks.

2. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Here is my scheduleMonday -- back (upper and lower) ab crunches and leg raises. Deadlift, bicep, tricep, shoulder, chest, forearm. Play/practice at club for 2-2.5 hrs. Tuesday. -- cardio 3k run, chinese footwork, shadow footwork, woodchopper, quads, calves. Either play or join varsity team of college that is behind my place for training. The coaches are usually great about it. Really lucky to have such a nice bunch so close by.Wed -- no pt. singles / doubles play and then private lesson.Thurs -- repeat of monday but less intensive. May or may not play baddy.Fri -- repeat of tues for cardio and footwork. No leg workSat -- adult clinic and the maybe some club play pending schedule.Sun -- Play at college. The pt only helps so much. Much better to have a racket in ur hands daily, even if it's just shadow footwork or stroke mechanics

#2 Borbor, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  3. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

No clue why posting from an i phone chopped all my spacing.

4. Nicky_Boy02

Nicky_Boy02 Regular Member

Space Explorer
    How heavy and how many reps and sets do u do for your workout? Does weight training helps a lot in badminton?

5. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

for Monday I usually do 8-10 sets (total) per muscle group. 12 reps to failure, 8 reps to failure and then 20 reps high speed to failure. the 12 would be the "median" weight, 8 would be heavier and the 20 is usually light. I can't just do heavy because it doesn't build fast twitch and it'll build too much bulk (well, not like i have to worry cuz I've never really built bulk)

i'm not sure if it helps to be honest, I couldn't tell you quantitatively my before and after, because to be honest I only got back into badminton after a LONG layoff in August and the PT started in Sept. The core exercises I've been doing forever since my gf always seems to be on a mission to try to fatten me up (she's a pastry chef :D); so that's like our little inside joke. The other stuff I've done on / off over the years. In order of importance, I'd prolly focus on cardio, footwork drills, core workout, forearms workout and then the rest. If you live in parts of the states where you can get to the beach (ie west coast), go do ur runs there. Do intervals with sprints in between to simulate what kind of work you go through for a singles match.

6. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    if you want brain-dead advice, practice tennis serves for an hour a day for a month. your smash will get stronger.

good advice would be not to copy other people's training regiment. People are built differently.

I place well in tournaments, here's my actual weekly schedule:
    monday - play videogames
    tuesdays - 2hrs advanced singles with friends
    wednesdays - play with beginners at beginner club
    thursdays - 2hrs advanced singles with friends
    friday - drink lots of beer
    saturday - sleep in and deal with massive hangover
    sunday - play 3hrs at intermediate club.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Gee urameatball, now that's a workout! Your liver can probably bench-press more than I can!

8. ___JVM

___JVM Regular Member

@ Texaco
    monday: upper body power + badmintontraining in the evening
    tuesday: lower body power
    wednesday: arms + chest hypertrophy + badmintontraining in the evening
    thursday: back + shoulders hyperthrophy
    friday: legs hypertrophy

yes, a bodybuilding routine. I am used to it and it has no negative impact on my game