User Tag List

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any videos of these recent games you guys talk about?

Would like to see how Ko is doing lately. He was very weak in defense and didn't have an smash on par with JJS last time I watched a video of him playing.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Search for the bwf channel on youtube, they have the latest tournament videos on there. Also, when DID you watch him the last time? 2004? He's had a great smash for ages, one of the things that got him to the 2009 AE XD Final....other parts of his game indeed needed work. Wouldn't call his defense 'very weak' though as it's lightyears ahead of anything Boe can do I think in the Top10 of MD Lee, Mogensen, Koo, Kim Ki Jung and Cai Yun defend better than him....the others are on par or weaker imop.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Search for the bwf channel on youtube, they have the latest tournament videos on there. Also, when DID you watch him the last time? 2004? He's had a great smash for ages, one of the things that got him to the 2009 AE XD Final....other parts of his game indeed needed work. Wouldn't call his defense 'very weak' though as it's lightyears ahead of anything Boe can do I think in the Top10 of MD Lee, Mogensen, Koo, Kim Ki Jung and Cai Yun defend better than him....the others are on par or weaker imop.
    Thanks..

'Very weak' is a bit of an exaggeration! It just felt a little disappointing that defensively he was no where near JJS. I remember seeing opponents cotton on to this and picking on him repeatedly. I like this pair a lot but it seems he needed to improve to prevent opponents exploiting the hole in their partnership is what I meant to say. That's why when someone says Ko has improved a lot, I'm intrigued to see it.

In terms of smashing, Ko's smash was not much better than LYD's imo (when I last saw him play). I know it's not all about smash speed, but it certainly helps! Especially, when you have a variation between the pairing. I think he has the accuracy and consistency but it just needed about 10-15km/h more pace to make the difference.

I saw videos of LYD/KO play a few matches since they paired up after the Olympics. Can't remember which ones, French open comes to mind?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I certainly think his smash is better than LYD's - not only does he get better angles (slightly taller+bigger jump), he also generates more pace. LYD can smash rather hard, but only when he winds up for it, and his 'normal' smashes are noticeably slower. Ko, on the other hand, has a pretty hard smash at all times, and his all-out smash is harder than Lee's as well. I agree that his smash is not as hard or as well-placed as Jung's when he has little time, though. Jung was a master of getting into good position with very little time and could thunder down even very flat clears, where Ko's height actually puts him at a disadvantage.
    I also agree that Jung's defense was better than Ko's is - even with his marked improvement.

His fastest smashes are always in the Top10 of the tournament, so he doesn't need much improvement. As they're aiming to be THE best, though, he should probably aim to be the hardest smasher (apart from Fu, maybe )...let's see what the Korean coaches think [although I guess they're more eager to improve net and mid-court play first as that's where you get the attack and that's where he's lacking atm, although his net play is just as good as Jung's imop]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of smashing, Ko's smash was not much better than LYD's
    True; Ko only has a small speed advantage to his smashes, when you compare, but Ko can smash a lot more than LYD.
    LYD won't smash for a whole match, whilst Ko can (and does).

I guess they're more eager to improve net and mid-court play first
    They'll want to improve his consistency first. He was awesome in the Korea Open Semi-final, but nerves got to him in the Final. It didn't cost them this time, but you can be sure it's considered a big weakness.
    Last edited by SolsticeOfLight; 01-14-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Extra post

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SolsticeOfLight View Post
    True; Ko only has a small speed advantage to his smashes, when you compare, but Ko can smash a lot more than LYD.
    LYD won't smash for a whole match, whilst Ko can (and does).
    Half-true - usually his top smashes are 10-20km/h faster than Lee's best. Was just the same with Jung (my example being the 2011 WC SF, Jung smashes in the mid-280s there, while Lee got a few over or around 270). Let's see what they do in the faster arenas....Korea is always very slow, both due to the hall and the shuttles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you see what Xu Chen was smashing, there's not so much difference between LYD an Ko.
    I'm not saying the difference doesn't exist but if Ko wants an unbeatable smash, getting more speed onto it isn't going to be the main concern (though a nice bonus).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When you see what Xu Chen was smashing, there's not so much difference between LYD an Ko.I'm not saying the difference doesn't exist but if Ko wants an unbeatable smash, getting more speed onto it isn't going to be the main concern (though a nice bonus).
    sometimes having 290 km/h smashes doesn't help if he runs out of steam after the first game...a la Xu Chen

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, you need the stamina to be able to hit thunder smashes all day long. But equally what's the point in being able to hit smashes all day long if they don't do any damage?

When I last saw him play, Ko's smash just wasn't that much better than LYDs. If you have someone like LYD partnering you at the net, you want to involve him as much as you can. If your smash doesn't quite have that edge, then you're not giving your net partner enough opportunities or you're not making life easy enough for him. LYD is best at the net, so if you're partnering him, you need to be excellent in the rear court.

Ko is not a bad player, he is more of a rounded player though compared to JJS. But Ko is certainly better around the net than JJS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How old is Ko? Don't forget we're comparing him to somebody with a lot more experience and training.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About LYD's age, so ~5 years younger than JJS iirc.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched him on bwf playing in the korean open against BoMo last night. Thought Ko has improved and his confidence has grown but he is still making a lot of unforced errors and whilst his defence is much more solid, it is still not quite on par with LYDs. That's the trouble when you partner one of the best defenses in the game - you cannot be a weaker link. Interesting to see JJS was watching it too, wonder what he thinks of his successor?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How old is Ko? Don't forget we're comparing him to somebody with a lot more experience and training.
    Ko was born in 1987 so he's one year older than Lee Yong Dae. However, he never got the international experience as a junior and I don't believe he was on the national team in his first year as a senior, either. It was only after he reached the semi-finals of the nationals in 2006 that he started playing internationally and he and Kwun Yi Goo won the Vietnam Open, then the Suwon Int'l and finally were sent to major international events in 2008, when they were already 21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pgGZJWP_rU JPN vs. KOR

He got huge elevation on one of his smashes, and got the lift himself. Also saw a lot of nice pushes to open spaces that got them a lot of lifts, and nice variety from the backcourt. Net errors and weak defensive lifts, yeah, but as he continues to improve...if his defense gets on par with LYD...it will be so sick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn't a very difficult match though...
    It'll be hard to compare it to when he's under pressure.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rexelus View Post
    watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pgGZJWP_rU JPN vs. KORHe got huge elevation on one of his smashes, and got the lift himself. Also saw a lot of nice pushes to open spaces that got them a lot of lifts, and nice variety from the backcourt. Net errors and weak defensive lifts, yeah, but as he continues to improve...if his defense gets on par with LYD...it will be so sick.
    nah... it'll only be sick if LYD had a twin... that is left handed!

can you imagine, they'll dominate md for years to come...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If only because nobody'd know who they were playing to

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast