Stringing cracked racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by AdamS, Nov 16, 2012.

1. AdamS

AdamS Regular Member

Hi I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to string a cracked racket. My friend gave me a racket to string and there is a crack going over one of the very top gromitts. It goes across it veritcally so not towards other grommits and it is only on the inside of the racket. I use load spreaders and plan to string it at 23 pounds. Does anyone have any advice on how to string it to ensure it doesn't break? I told my friend about the crack and they said that if it breaks it doesnt matter.I think the racket it a sotex circle power CP6000, it shiny green!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

2. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

erm...why don't you just return back the racket to the owner?:confused:

3. AdamS

AdamS Regular Member

I told them before I took it about the crack and they told me to string it anyway and that if it breaks it doesn't matter.

4. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

my friends racket has already a small crack on it, but he didn't notice that and he gave to the stringer for restringing, then the stringer told my friend that his racket has a crack after he strung it (so greedy, we don't even have the rights to claim the money), according to his shop, he strung every racket manually (imbalance tension) and some of it are even stringed by his wife! that means the tension are <23lbs, stringing it manually might not break the racket i think...hope it helps :p

5. AdamS

AdamS Regular Member

ah, hopefully it wont break then!

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If the racket is already badly damaged, then it may crack during the re-string, or crack /deform right after the dis-mount. Some luckier case, the racket might be playable for a short period time, and the player will end up a "curved" racket after some strokes.

7. AdamS

AdamS Regular Member

Oh well let's hope I'm super lucky and everything is ok :) the crack does go across the whole width of the insider but it isn't a huge crack so hopefully everything will be ok. Would is be worth trying so add some sort of cushioning around it?

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well if he agrees to pay for it regardless of crack or not, i guess it is ok.

but my policy is that i have the right to refuse any racket that i believe might not survive the stringing machine. the stringing fee itself cannot cover the therapy i need to go through after the trauma of having a racket die on the stringing table.

9. AdamS

AdamS Regular Member

Yes they have said that if it breaks its fine, but I am scared. The thought of hearing and seeing the racket breaks doesn't appeal to me!

10. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    One of my regulars has a Z-slash with a crack at the 3 o'clock, i generally make sure it's good and secure in the mount (heck, i do that with any racket) and go for it. Keep the tension to sensible levels, and if you have an electronic machine set it to the slowest pull speed. If you're really worried it might break, wear safety glasses, 'cos flying bits of carbon are no fun...