Serving "AROUND" the net? Illegal?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Axeon, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Axeon

Axeon Regular Member

Student
    Hey,

I was playing at a club (I was a beginner back then) and I played against an intermediate player in a doubles match. Instead of the normal serve above the net diagonally to the opposite court he served around the net diagonally (if that makes sense). His upper torso was hanging outside on the edge of the court and his feet were within the lines. He claimed that it was legal and he saw one of the "professionals" do it, however I beg to differ.

Surely that serve is highly illegal? :confused:

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

as long as the feet are within the lines and don't move while serving, he may do what he wants. clearly, it's not possible to serve "around" the net...

but it's possible to stand on the right end side of the court to get a different angle. especially against beginners it's a nice joke to do, as they don't know how to counteract these serves.

the pros don't do it because it's worse than serving from the middle and easy to attack.

3. krysser

krysser Regular Member

Hehe well even if it is possible it is not a legal serve, if you read rule 9.1.8 it states that the flight of the shuttle shall from the servers racket be upwards and pass OVER the net.

4. |_Footwork_|

how should it be possible?????

5. krysser

krysser Regular Member

well I didn't say it was possible just that if somebody could somehow do it it would not be legal.

But there might be some that can do it, take a look at Jonas Rasmussen here who seems to be able to put some spin in the shuttle so it "turns" around the netpost (There is still some way before you make a serve from it but who knows) :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXw6F3GOnl4

#5 krysser, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

If you stand at the doubles sideline @ front service line and serve it to the doubles service line @middle line, you would need to lean out/strike the shuttle 1.21 meters out the side of the court. So i suppose maybe possible for someone to achieve. Still shuttle must pass over the net so fault.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agree. not to say the server will be completely out of position when he serves.

8. Axeon

Axeon Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for clearing it up dudes! Much appreciated! :cool:

9. |_Footwork_|

legal or not: i tried it yesterday on court and it's just not possible... (i'm quite tall)

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

If you hit the perfect shot angle and contacted the shuttle 1.21 metres outside of court and it didn't work, then there must have been a drift. Try it from the other end:D

11. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Lol, like stated above, if somehow possible, the rule states that the shuttle must pass over the net to be considered a legal shot.