Smashing with back muscles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by david14700, Oct 8, 2003.

1. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I know, I know, there are lots of other threads on improving smashing technique, but I have a specific question that isn't mentioned in those.

I was watching a video of Tony Gunawan smashing from the end of the court looking directly down the line and I noticed how much he twists his back in his wind-up. It looks like his arm is about to twist right off his shoulder. His elbow actually breaks the 'plane' of his shot, i.e. it's more than 180 degrees back from the direction the smash is going to be hit. I've sinced noticed how much all the top players draw back before a big smash and it all seems to involve a lot of tension in the waist and shoulders.

My question is this: what's the best way to stretch your back safely and to practice this way of smashing without injuring yourself? Is there a good drill or something to improve smashing this way?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Perhaps a good way to prevent injury is to make sure that the body turns immediately. ie. for a righthander, the hips and torso rotate so that the body will face to the side of the court.

Maybe when the player looks up, then that might give the impression of twisting the back (just my speculation)?:confused:

3. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    I seen something like this too, only once though.