Power and smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by azazael, Nov 17, 2012.

1. azazael

azazael Regular Member

I really have a problem with power!I can never powerfully hit the shuttle to send it to the back of the opponent's side.what should i do?Will stringing to a higher value(30lbs) help??also i dont know how to hit a good smash!any tips,videos will be greatly appreciated.:(

2. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Powerful smashes are good and all, but I think it's more important to work on your angle first, then power. Regularly, a good smash is supposed to land mid court, the steeper the better. If you are having problems getting faster smashes, you should concentrate on your technique rather than your racket or strings. Upping your tension on your strings is probably not the answer.

Try using the "underarm" technique if you aren't already. Take the shuttle as high as possible, but still having your racket facing in a downward direction.
    You should get a friend to help you lift shuttles while you smash. This way your friend could also observe and help you out.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    here.

[video=youtube;HNVC5PVJyPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ[/video]

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Are you having problems with clearing in warm-up, or just during a game?

If you can't clear in warm-up then the problem is the technique of your stroke.
    If you can do it in warm-up but can't clear full court in the game then the problem is more likely footwork getting behind the shuttle.

In either case, the answer is not to fiddle with string tension or racket choice, but to get someone to watch and help with your technique.

Best of luck!:)

5. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    That's the one!

6. betazone

betazone Regular Member

7. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    As has been mentioned before, you should have someone watching your technique. However changing the string can make a difference. I don't know what tension you are using now. However the tension can cause problems when is it to high. What string tension are you currently using?

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If power is what you are after, there's essentially two main things you need to remember.

1. Racquet head speed.
    2. Striking the shuttle square (and on sweetspot).

If you can do these two things well, you should have reasonable power.

Obviously, as simple as it sounds, the trouble is in getting these two things right.

When people talk about power being generated from your legs, waist, shoulder, arm, wrist etc. it is basically to increase your racquet head speed - i.e to achieve no.1 above. You are loading all the "pivots" in your body to translate into a higher velocity in your racquet head.

Pronation ensures you achieve no.2 but it also helps with no.1 above.

10. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    In addition to what are already mentioned, too high a string tension may actually destroy your power also. You asked the question of stringing your racket at 30lb, what tension are you using at this time? I'm guessing you might be using something close to that already? Instead of going higher, perhaps lower could help.

Also, without looking at your shots, it may be difficult to say. Maybe you do have power, but you "waste" it by hitting the shot at improper angle (i.e. too high upward) in your clear (the shots that you attempt to send to the back court). If you adjust your hitting angle, your shots could go farther.

11. azazael

azazael Regular Member

i am using 25 tension...and thank you all for your advice...btw can you send me video links to this topic other than youtube.youtube isnt working in my country coz of religious issues!

12. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    I don't think 25 is to high. There are other video websites aswell. I don't know what you can access in India, but you can always look for some videos on other websites.

13. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Question is, do you remember if you got any more power at lower tensions?