Keeping it simple

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kennyb, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

They say that if you keep every shots and serve simple to yourself, it wouldn't make the game hard for you.

I really believe that statement and my cousin always reinforce it on me when there are times that I try to do a few ambitious shot and it has helped alot throughout my game. However I tend to find that when I do that to some stronger players, it doesn't seem to work aswell.

So my question is 'is there a limit to how far you can go if you keep your shots simple??'

2. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

I tihkn it depends on how good your shots are when you keep it simple.

3. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    What exactly does simple shots mean? Lob, drops, smashes? And what does a simple serve mean?

Please excuse my ignorance. :)

4. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Not sure how do you mean by simple shot. Most of the shots are simple, it depends on how do you force your opponent to project more mistakes than you and exploit them. :D

If not in a tournament, I would certainly encourage experimenting with shots. To gain yourself experience on what works and what does not. But securing a qualified coach would certainly expedite your learning...

Cheers.

5. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

Sorry for being vague about the term 'simple'. What I mean by that, is shots that you have 100% confident on and feel comfortable on. Basically using the basic techniques of what you learnt, than the more advanced shots which requires more practice.

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    There are many terms of simple here.. it depends on how you see it. Professional player so called "simple" shots might not be the same for the beginners "simple" shot. Simple can be just making shots to the opponents court and make sure they will have unforce error.

There is no limit in making simple shots as long as we know our strength and weaknesses in making certain shots. Weather that shot we make will create a counter-attack for our opponent or the shot we make will create a winning point for us.

7. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    I think the term you are looking for is "safe" shots. Using safe shots will obviously help keep your game consistent, but the idea is to train your "unsafe" shots so that they become "safe" ones.

You have to balance the risks yourself on what shots you use and which you feel comfortable with. And you'll also have to remember that you're not the only one who decides the outcome of the game. Your opponent on the other side may play a very risky game of badminton hitting low-percentage shots for himself.

8. RealMad

RealMad Regular Member

Actually, I think simple shots are a valid strategy for everyone except advanced players.

Particularly with older players, I see that they always try to just get the shuttle back (not using a smash or overly ambitious drop) but they try to place it well.

The reason why you would do this is because you just want to keep the shuttle in play and you force they opponent to make a mistake. If you're playing against those who are impatient, this works pretty often.

But if you're playing against someone who can consistently attack the entire game from different areas of the court, then you're going to lose. However, as I mentioned, there aren't very many people who can do this so if you keep clearing to the opponent's baseline, there's a good chance you can win the game simply because you don't hand any points to the opposition.

9. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    The old timer whom I play with on Saturdays told me something in line with the topic which I think is very true :

"As long as your replies go over the net, you have every chance to win the point".

Try that super power-rotational-spinning backhand all you like, that cross court deceptive drop or the tumbling net shot; if they end up getting killed or caught at the net, then perhaps simplicity should have been the used.

#9 wilfredlgf, Oct 9, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2003
  10. peyter

peyter Regular Member

Lecturer
    IMHO, it has to do with situation you are in. If you are leading and playing well, why not try a more ambitious shot? I will generally keep things "simple" againts stronger opposition or when I'm trailing in a game.

11. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

IMHO I think keeping it simple is more akin to playing the "Odds", being patient & working the point rather than going for the outrightr winner.

Why go for the complicated crosscourt drop that's mm over the net when you can just push it into the backhand corner, wait for the weak return & finish it with an easy kill at the net.

Although that example won't always work with stronger players it's all about biding your time, moving the opposition around & out of postion to open up a weakness to win the point.