Help: Another Big vs Small grip discussion.

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Petah, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Petah

Petah Regular Member

I always thought my grip was a bit big for my liking but never warmed up to the idea of removing the factory grip. Last night, I finally decided to take the plunge and removed the factory grip and put on 2 very thin over grips in attempt to reduce the grip size. To my surprise, the racket feels and plays a lot better. Smashes are harder, clears and drives are effortless. Touch shots and overall feel weren't compromised at all. I am loving the feel of the smaller grip. So what has changed?

1. Smaller grip (seems to promote easier wrist snap)
    2. Overall balance of the racket went from 285mm to 293mm (thick heavy OEM grip weighs quite a bit more than the 2 over grip that i added)

My question: Is it reason 1, 2 or a combination of the 2 that is making the difference? Do i actually prefer a head heavy racket? Or would the results be the same had the handle been smaller from the get go (didn't alter the balance point)?

2. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    It is what it is and you have found what you like :D

3. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes Regular Member

I've just gone the other way. I was finding that my rackets were giving me a bit of elbow pain. As a stab in the dark I used a towelling grip I had kicking around. Lo and behold, no elbow pain for the first time in ages. Now I've got to switch from the thin Yonex grap that I was using to a thicker overgrip because I'm not too keen on towelling.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I will say that the change in racket playability has nothing to do with the bp change from grip modifications.

5. tranqq

tranqq Regular Member

it's definitely not the balance point change. Thinking that there is more weight in the head could potentally change the way you are swinging the racquet.. but only due to your mind.. not because of any difference in weights. I would definitely say it's due to the size of the grip.. if you have small hands like me.. a small grip is essential for being able to make finger adjustments and sliding up and down the grip. I also think with smaller grips you often can still feel a little bit of the wooden ridges and therefore are less likely to be holding it slightly wrong by accident.. especially people who spin their racquets around a lot.. even in the rally.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

the right size grip will allow you to grip the handle in a relaxed manner, thus allowing your forearm muscles to be relaxed and freeing them to do their work properly

7. AezranHakim

AezranHakim Regular Member

Office Boy
    Very true :D

8. Petah

Petah Regular Member

Thanks for the input guys. On that note, maybe i should try a smaller grip on a even balance racket to see how i like it.