? Head Heavy Balance and Balance Point

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by MarcRafles, Oct 9, 2003.

1. MarcRafles

MarcRafles Regular Member

IT
    Hi all,

I want to know how can we classify a racket into head heavy balance?

For example:
    a Yonex MP88 has length 675 mm and its balance point is 312 mm (measured from the end of grip).
    a Talbot Torro Isopower 2500 has length 663 mm and its balance point is 295 mm (measured from the end of grip).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Marc

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

balance from handle without string or overgrip

<280m headlight
    280 - 300 balanced
    >300 head heavy (some ppl use 290-295)

3. MarcRafles

MarcRafles Regular Member

IT
    Hi Bigredlemon,

Thank for your answer.
    Since I am a newbie in badminton, I bought my ready-to-use racket. So I can't weight before it is strung/overgripped.

So how can I classify my racket now?

Does the total length of racket (or other factor) play any role to classify head heavy or not?

Thank in advance to anybody who would answer my questions.

Marc

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The "head heaviness" is just a relative term. To different ppl, it might vary. Of course, the total length could be a factor, so as the weight of string, weight of extra grip, etc.

Many ppl have different feeling to a same racket, someone claims it's well balanced, some might think it slightly head heavy. As long as u feel comfortable with it, it's all good.

5. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Marc,

Given the two racquets that you described, I would hazzard to guess that your Yonex MP88 is more head heavy than your Talbot Torro Isopower 2500. :)

Cheers.

6. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

What are the benefits of a head heavy racquet?

7. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Depends on the player that uses a head heavy racquet - Can he or she utilize the head heavy racquet effectively? If not, head heavy racquet is not for that player and might want to get a different one.

8. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Basically using a Head heavy racquet means you can get a harder smash.

They carry more angular momentum & transfer more speed to the shuttle.

The trade off is that you must have the strength to make the swing / need more energy & it's more tiring on the arm. It also produces a less agile racquet & is slower to respond to smaller quick motions.

The other issue is head stability. Head heavy & flexible racquets don't tend to be that stable & you lose "touch" as a result.

9. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

If you can swing fast with a head-heavy racquet, you can swing faster with a more head-light racquet. People who say head-heavy racquets are more powerful usually presume you swing both at the same speed. This may be true for them because they're used to timing with a heavier racquet and thus they are swinging at the same speed or only slightly faster with the lighter racquet and hence get more power. To me, I've always used headlight racquets for smashes and find head heavy racquets to be less powerful for me for smashes.

But head heavy racquets can generate more power using a slower swing, and thus you'll get more power out of a quick smash. Getting a good smash with a headlight racquet requires you to be in a good position. But often doesn't happen in fast paced games. They also don't sound as loud... i guess that matters if you're into that kind of thing. I get more of a "ping" instead of "boom".

#9 bigredlemon, Oct 10, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2003
  10. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Hmm, I find there is a limit on how fast I can swing a racquet.

I'd definitely be able to "snap" smash better with a lighter racquet but if I'm using my full wind up for a proper smash I reckon the swing speed difference will be minimal.

Don't know if that sounds wierd but I'd kind of compare it to "twitch" muscle & "bulk" muscle in my arm.
    Speed/reaction i reckon is dictated by "twitch" muscle (the type that sprinters try to develop)
    When I first start my swing it's the "twitch" muscles that move the racquet but the "bulk" muscles then start to take over & add the most power to my swing.

Don't know if others feel like that? ?

11. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

hmm i think in my opinion..... head heavy racquet will put more angle into the smash.......

cause.... head heavy... more momentum.. it'll sort of drag the racquet lower.......

12. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

by the way......

a racquet with grip and string will affect about 25mm of the balance.....

13. Trancekid

Trancekid New Member

Brand Manager
    There is more to Angular momentum than just "heaviness" of the racquet.

As "bigredlemon" correctly pointed out and as it happens, Smash can and should be seen with regards to"angular" momentum and not "linear" momentum.

Angular momentum is nothing but [mass(hence the heaviness) of the racket head] x [angular velocity]

and,
    Angular velocity = [length of the distance from where you turn the head of the racket] x [how fast you turn the head of the racquet]

Piecing it all together, for angular momentum, a heavier racquet will give you more mass but if you are actually turning it slower than the lighter head racquet, you might still be getting the same angular momentum.....

AND.... "smash" is the force or more technically speaking the [rate of change of angular momentum].

So don't bother getting a head heavy racquet if you cant turn it at least as fast as you can turn the lighthead racquet.

Cheers !