Precision of strokes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Axeon, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Axeon

Axeon Regular Member

Student
    I play badminton in general at local clubs and college but every summer I play with my cousin and he's at intermediate/semi-professional level. He decided to watch me play a few games.

I told him my precision was off because at times when smashing I would hit the shuttle with the top rim of the racket head (makes a awful noise, poor racket :( )
    He advised me to point at the shuttle before point of contact whether it was smashing or strokes. I've improved a lot because I point at the shuttle, i feel more controlled!

How do you guys increase precision of strokes? Especially smashes

Do you point at the shuttle or another way?

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

pointing at the shuttle will over-rotate/close your shoulders too much.

To be clear, though, you have a problem with mis-timing your stroke. Obviously timing affects accuracy, but there are other factors...

Are you more intersted in how to time your swing, or the bigger discussion of how to help shot accuracy?

3. Axeon

Axeon Regular Member

Student
    I'm intrigued by your reponse. I'm more interested in how to time my swing.
    Thinking about it my timing is a bit off. I have badminton in an hour or so. Any advice on how to time my swing?

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

timing is just practice and consistency.

make sure you are practicing with correct grip and technique...

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    The way I learnt to time the shuttle correctly is to focus on striking the shuttle on the sweetspot and square every single time. You should be able to feel the difference and may be hear the difference in sound when you strike the shuttle on different areas of your string bed (top, bottom, left/right and sweetspot).

Try and feel where you are striking the shuttle on the string bed and adjust your stroke to suit. Clearing and driving with a partner is a good practice exercise. If not, even bouncing the shuttle up and down, hitting it to different heights, to get the "feel" of the sweetspot can help.

6. raistian

raistian Regular Member

Like others have said: practice.

By yourself & a few shuttles:
    1. Face a wall, approx 4 racquets length between you & it
    2. Hit a shuttle up - about 2 racquets high above your head
    3. Smash to the wall - if you use the right amount of power, shuttle would bounce back close to you so it's ready to be picked up. Repeat as necessary.

With a partner & tons of used shuttles:
    1. Play half court (lengthwise). Start from your left. You're at the back, partner middle to net.
    2. Partner serves a high clear to your forehand, you smash to his left (the empty half-court next to your partner). Try to smash to the same area consistently. Repeat until you run out of shuttles.
    3. Move to the other half (your right hand side) of the court.
    4 Repeat (2) - smashing to his right this time.

Obviously you can use the above methods to practice other shots. If you're a beginner, 1st method is better as you have complete control over timing (as opposed to relying on your partner's). As you get better with your timing, the 2nd is more realistic as the shuttle comes from proper angles (as hit by an opponent).

7. Axeon

Axeon Regular Member

Student
    Thank you very much! Very informative, much appreciated! I'll definitely try these exercises out

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    grip firmly. big swings, less accuracy. use more wrist work. ;)

9. Dazhu Wang

Dazhu Wang Regular Member

students
    Timing is very important, you can try use less power than usual in order to get more accurate hit

10. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

Watch how the professional players play. Imitating their body coordination when receiving the shuttle and swing patterns are the best advice i can give you. Not only will you learn to be more precise. You will also learn that their techniques are equipped with deception too. That is the reason why their shots are unpredictable.

11. raistian

raistian Regular Member

:D

Have fun!

Also, looking at yourself executing a move (ie, videotaping yourself or reflection on mirror) can help you analyse your technique. Most people are surprised when they see themselves playing from a third person perspective. I call it the "do I really play like that?!!" moment :p.