User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Ingrown Toenail inflames during badminton. Anyone else have this?

    I have a slight ingrown toenail and every time I play badminton it gets red and inflamed.

    It is fine if I just walk around or not exercise. But during badminton it gets hot. My toe slides into my shoe and gets bump = ouch. Sometimes I hit my toe by accident = bump.
    After the games you can tell its red and swollen. "Cry" My doctor toe me, with badminton since our feet slides up and down it is more prone to ingrown.

    I'm not looking for a fix, but asking if anyone else have this?

  2. #2
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,288
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Used to have this problem. But fixed it by clipping it carefully. Best to do it after shower when it's clean and soft. When clipping that corner, don't go all the way into the corner with the clipper... leave it by a few mm. Then pick up the loose end of the nail with your fingers and slowly peel it out of the corner and you should have a smooth edge in there which will not hurt every time like a sharp edge if bumped into.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Used to have this problem. But fixed it by clipping it carefully. Best to do it after shower when it's clean and soft. When clipping that corner, don't go all the way into the corner with the clipper... leave it by a few mm. Then pick up the loose end of the nail with your fingers and slowly peel it out of the corner and you should have a smooth edge in there which will not hurt every time like a sharp edge if bumped into.
    Thanks! Hm...my doctor told me that it was back because when it grows out their might be another jagged end. He said the best option for me is to soak warm water or surgery. :/. . Is it all better now?

  4. #4
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,288
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    You won't need surgery if you do it the right way, as above, which avoids leaving a jagged edge inside by peeling off the last bit instead of cutting the last bit with the cutter. With experience you'll know how much to not cut so that it can be lifted off.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    You won't need surgery if you do it the right way, as above, which avoids leaving a jagged edge inside by peeling off the last bit instead of cutting the last bit with the cutter. With experience you'll know how much to not cut so that it can be lifted off.
    Thanks again! Maybe my doctors just want money? Have you tried this bandaid method? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conserv...and-Aid_method. I never heard of it, but I just saw this and I'm willing to try.

  6. #6
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,288
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Haven't tried that band aid, but here's something similar you can do every day... when you shower and wash your feet, use your thumbnails to push the skin tissues on the affected side away from the nail edge. With time this will eventually expose the ingrown nail so that you can get at it easily to remove and prevent any sharp edges poking into the tissues.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,013
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Visor is spot on! (as usual)
    But wait: No pills or salves or surgical procedures? How is a doc gonna make big money on common-sense advice like that?

  8. #8
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,288
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    Visor is spot on! (as usual)But wait: No pills or salves or surgical procedures? How is a doc gonna make big money on common-sense advice like that?
    Heh... I'm speaking from personal experience, not as a professional.

    Ouch... that was a long 2 months of pain that I went thru with an ingrown nail a few years back.

  9. #9
    Regular Member gunner93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    MY
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My 9yo boy suffered a freaky torn toe skin here...
    http://www.juniorshuttlers.blogspot....ition-bug.html

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Can't you smack your toe so it goes black and blue? Then the toenail falls off and you get a new one growing?

    I played ball hockey one-time and got smacked in the toes alot. After a game...the big toe nail was black and blue. A few days goes by and it was getting loose. So curious me...I pulled it off to reveal a new toe-nail growing. I put a band-aid over it since it was super-sensitive.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hut
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CanucksDynasty View Post
    Can't you smack your toe so it goes black and blue? Then the toenail falls off and you get a new one growing?

    I played ball hockey one-time and got smacked in the toes alot. After a game...the big toe nail was black and blue. A few days goes by and it was getting loose. So curious me...I pulled it off to reveal a new toe-nail growing. I put a band-aid over it since it was super-sensitive.
    Lol nice way to get it off. I would suggest for the OP to play hard and move more... slowly, the bumping would make it blue black and come off. When your nail come off, that's is the happiness moment when you play badminton isn't it.

  12. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I used that too, and its really makes me uneasy. Good thing my sister have a small nail cutter, she helps me cut those annoying ingrown on my feet.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •