Ingrown Toenail inflames during badminton. Anyone else have this?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by MeowMeowCats, Nov 22, 2012.

1. MeowMeowCats

MeowMeowCats Regular Member

I have a slight ingrown toenail and every time I play badminton it gets red and inflamed.

It is fine if I just walk around or not exercise. But during badminton it gets hot. My toe slides into my shoe and gets bump = ouch. Sometimes I hit my toe by accident = bump.
    After the games you can tell its red and swollen. "Cry" My doctor toe me, with badminton since our feet slides up and down it is more prone to ingrown.

I'm not looking for a fix, but asking if anyone else have this?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Used to have this problem. But fixed it by clipping it carefully. Best to do it after shower when it's clean and soft. When clipping that corner, don't go all the way into the corner with the clipper... leave it by a few mm. Then pick up the loose end of the nail with your fingers and slowly peel it out of the corner and you should have a smooth edge in there which will not hurt every time like a sharp edge if bumped into.

3. MeowMeowCats

Thanks! Hm...my doctor told me that it was back because when it grows out their might be another jagged end. He said the best option for me is to soak warm water or surgery. :/. :). Is it all better now?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

You won't need surgery if you do it the right way, as above, which avoids leaving a jagged edge inside by peeling off the last bit instead of cutting the last bit with the cutter. With experience you'll know how much to not cut so that it can be lifted off.

5. MeowMeowCats

Thanks again! Maybe my doctors just want money? Have you tried this bandaid method? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_treatment_of_ingrown_toe_nails#Band-Aid_method. I never heard of it, but I just saw this and I'm willing to try.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Haven't tried that band aid, but here's something similar you can do every day... when you shower and wash your feet, use your thumbnails to push the skin tissues on the affected side away from the nail edge. With time this will eventually expose the ingrown nail so that you can get at it easily to remove and prevent any sharp edges poking into the tissues.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Visor is spot on! (as usual)
    But wait: No pills or salves or surgical procedures? How is a doc gonna make big money on common-sense advice like that? :eek: ;)

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Heh... I'm speaking from personal experience, not as a professional. :)

Ouch... that was a long 2 months of pain that I went thru with an ingrown nail a few years back. :(

9. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

10. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Can't you smack your toe so it goes black and blue? Then the toenail falls off and you get a new one growing?

I played ball hockey one-time and got smacked in the toes alot. After a game...the big toe nail was black and blue. A few days goes by and it was getting loose. So curious me...I pulled it off to reveal a new toe-nail growing. I put a band-aid over it since it was super-sensitive.

11. heyhey

heyhey Regular Member

Floor Cleaner
    Lol nice way to get it off. I would suggest for the OP to play hard and move more... slowly, the bumping would make it blue black and come off. When your nail come off, that's is the happiness moment when you play badminton isn't it. :D

12. elohz

elohz New Member

I used that too, and its really makes me uneasy. Good thing my sister have a small nail cutter, she helps me cut those annoying ingrown on my feet.