User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratlover View Post

On a different note, this pair also seems to use gamesmanship a lot. They like to glare and use delay tactic.
    i personally don't think their glare is somehow 'aggressive' to called as a violance act, at least until their recent last match. i even rarely seen them glare to their opponents. when they won point they normally just shouted out and clap hands with the partner to encourage themselves, which i think is normal. but again, it's just me.

about the delay tactics, although it surely dirty, but it's just part of tactics and strategy to win. and as it became something pretty common nowdays, i do't think it has big effect anymore to players game, especially for experienced players like LYD. still, it would be nicer if all players used this tactics lesser and lesser.
    Last edited by bad's fan; 05-01-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BWF should learn from the NBA >: P
    implement a shot clock and taunting rule
    1. 30 seconds max between points, no more lets once the player raises their racket
    2. Anything deemed as inappropriate can be immediately punishable by yellow cards

this way the players get to breathe between points, but can't act like Boe and Mogensen

btw, LXL/QZH only really seem to do the whole "gamesmanship" play towards Boe/Mo, and really stare back at them
    If anything, this adds more character to this pair and kudos to them for having a spine and stand up against bullies on court

Otherwise, against any other pair, they're alright, don't think they delay any more than other pairs, and don't think they really "taunt" other pairs in a malicious way.

Many pairs pump themselves up by shouts and fist pumps, which only shows how into the game they are. But straight up taunts like the Mogensen smashing the shuttle back when the other pair is only passing the shuttle back, or Boe's hideous smirk and pointing when the other pair makes a mistake is extremely rare.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 0ozafo0 View Post
    BWF should learn from the NBA >: P
    implement a shot clock and taunting rule
    1. 30 seconds max between points, no more lets once the player raises their racket
    2. Anything deemed as inappropriate can be immediately punishable by yellow cards

this way the players get to breathe between points, but can't act like Boe and Mogensen

btw, LXL/QZH only really seem to do the whole "gamesmanship" play towards Boe/Mo, and really stare back at them
    If anything, this adds more character to this pair and kudos to them for having a spine and stand up against bullies on court

Otherwise, against any other pair, they're alright, don't think they delay any more than other pairs, and don't think they really "taunt" other pairs in a malicious way.

Many pairs pump themselves up by shouts and fist pumps, which only shows how into the game they are. But straight up taunts like the Mogensen smashing the shuttle back when the other pair is only passing the shuttle back, or Boe's hideous smirk and pointing when the other pair makes a mistake is extremely rare.

Agreed - I just watched the game and it was quite interesting to see how LXL/QZH present themselves on court. Even when called on service faults, they respect the service judge's decision and just confirms with them on the fault so they can correct their serves.
    Quite exciting to watch this pair play - pure aggression!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following their Sudirman Cup debut, LYB disclosed that their nickname is Deuce King.

Looking at the match results, they do win a very high percentage of deuce situations. They lost the last duece game to Thien How Hoon and Wee Kiong Tan at last year's Hong Kong Open. Then they started their 7 deuce game winning streak right from the next game in the same match.

LYB mentioned something about their style of serve and receive as one of the reasons.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not an impressive debut in the SC as they struggled to find their rhythm against a tactically aware IND pair. Nevertheless, I'm sure they will be happy to get this win under their belt and get on with the tournament. LYB would probably be a little concerned with their lack of ability to adjust to the flow of the match though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their Sudirman Cup debut was underwhelming but good enough. Team responsibility is especially heavy for Chinese players.

The Indian pair played somewhat unconventionally, that puzzled QZH/LXL. PVS did the same to WYH. The key here is that they passed the mental test.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedShuttle View Post
    Their Sudirman Cup debut was underwhelming but good enough. Team responsibility is especially heavy for Chinese players.

The Indian pair played somewhat unconventionally, that puzzled QZH/LXL. PVS did the same to WYH. The key here is that they passed the mental test.
    The difference was Liu/Qiu was expected to mow down the IND pair with little resistance while we already knew Sindhu had enough pedigree to give WYH a fight. You summed it up perfectly with the term "good enough", but this level of good enough won't cut it as the tournament progresses.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MD was certainly a bit strange to watch. A LOT of errors in the first game, I was wondering the whole way where the Indians got their points as they never seemed to actually score
    Maybe the Chinese were a bit put off by the lack of flat&fast? They seem to do better against pairs playing rather flat defense and struggle against those employing blocks to the net player's backhand and soft shots around the body....

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yes, that was certainly interesting... kinda like rock/paper/scissors game where team A can beat B that can beat C that can beat A

the IND must be commended for their tactical play though... to be aware of the gaping holes in their opponent's formation must have meant that they had studied Qiu/Liu's play videos beforehand

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They both like a good fist pump, squat and roar!! Not very becoming. More like footballers than badminton players.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dith View Post
    They both like a good fist pump, squat and roar!! Not very becoming. More like footballers than badminton players.
    It's ok, they're still young and full of emotions, being new and the underdogs.

I'd rather see that than some DEN players who jeer and point a finger at their opponents when their opponents make a mistake.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This pair has truly stamped their authority in top MD level. Being able to play flat and fast or smash and block, they can take on any pair at their game and win. Well, except for the IND pair in early Sudirman Cup stages where the IND pair played an unconventionally tactical game to punch through the gaps in the rear court.

Their smashes are almost as hard as XC and FHF and their reflexes and shot selections are incredibly and naturally lightning fast.

If they continue playing like this, I don't see how any other pair can beat them...
    except for that IND pair.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This pair is maturing in the right time frame for Rio 2016.

I don't think LXL can keep up his kind lightening speed much beyond 2016. LYD is a good reference. In the few years around the Beijing Olympics He was moving on court from Point A to Point B almost instantaneously. LYD is still one of the fastest players but can no longer shock his opponents with his teleportation act.

Hope LXL/QZH can make the best of their golden years, from now to Rio 2016.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedShuttle View Post
    This pair is maturing in the right time frame for Rio 2016.

I don't think LXL can keep up his kind lightening speed much beyond 2016. LYD is a good reference. In the few years around the Beijing Olympics He was moving on court from Point A to Point B almost instantaneously. LYD is still one of the fastest players but can no longer shock his opponents with his teleportation act.

Hope LXL/QZH can make the best of their golden years, from now to Rio 2016.
    Age-wise, LXL is about 25 and QZH 23, if I'm not wrong, so what you say about them is right on.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They played really really well and forced KSH to make errors.
    But what I really do not like was Qiu Zihan's way of shouting. It's okay to shout. But not in the direction of the opponents. I was wondering why the strict referee didn't say anything to that.

And Qiu Zihan did it again. Twice. He acted like he was not ready immediately after the serve of the koreans. I just remember the first one was when they had 20-19 or like that. Serve by KSH.
    I mean this is really lame and not sportsmanlike. And he did it again in the second game I think.

He did that also in the recent matches before SC.
    It's something which he really really has stop. Otherwise this pair is going to get a bad reputation. And I can imagine that other pairs would imitate such stupid and unfair actions.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^ Yeah, iirc they also used that cheap tactic with Bo/Moe at All England at around game point, and in another similar situation at another SS . It's becoming a bad habit.

Just like how when they're receiving serves, even the receiver's partner has his hand up to indicate non-readiness! Come on! Are you serious?! No other pair does that, not even another CHN pair...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, fist pumping,glaring,shouting or yelling are just expressive behaviours of players in the heat of competition, esp for the men, and different players have different characteristics and temperaments. Particularly the glaring when facing the opponents doesn't mean it's directed at them, it likely demonstrates intense concentration or anxiety or both. Some players simply wear their hearts on their sleeves and it'd be unnatural for them to suppress themselves.

As long as the players don't cross the bounds of decency or exhibit gestures that are in bad taste such as showing the middle finger, uttering threatening words or obscenities,throwing the racquet in the opponents' direction - I'm all right and guess the players shouldn't let their opponents' behaviour affect them too much and just stay focused to play their game right, and leave the rest to the umpire.

As for the server and receiver readiness rule, I think the BWF should look deeper into it and come up with something better, say the time taken to serve shouldn't be more than a certain number of seconds, and the receiver is considered ready once his/her racquet is raised and legs in position.

My personal opinion isn't targeted at any specific player but applies in general.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast