Problems with sole on Yonex shoes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Wingu, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Hi all,

I'm an owner of Yonex shoes and my latest purchase was the SHB-82W ones which are the newer in the wide feet-series. However, just like with my last pair of SHB-81 (I've had about four pairs of SHB-81 before I switched to these new 82s), the sole which covers the heel part of the shoe have partially come off. When I say partially, I don't mean it's THAT much, but more like the edge of the sole. This always happen to my racket foot shoe on the outer side.
    Now, this happened again yesterday (a bit more to the middle this time, but it's still the heel sole so to speak) and since it's like the second time this happens I'm curious whether or not I just have bad luck or if Yonex shoes are just plain bad? I've used the 82s for about 2.5 - 3 months now and I practice 2-3 times a week (2-2,5 hours per session) and compete almost about every weekend.

My coach from Indonesia said that he used to wear Yonex shoes as well, but switched to Li-Ning as they are much better (his opinion). Maybe I should try out Li-Ning as well... I'm just afraid they won't fit me since I have quite broad feet.

#1 Wingu, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  2. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    How stupid of me, I forgot to attach a picture. This is what it looks like.
    And I exaggerated a tad on how long I've used the shoes. I think I've used them only for about 1,5 months, not 2,5-3.

image.jpg

3. visor

visor Regular Member

that still looks pretty new!

strange that you get this wear and tear at this location... never seen it here before

4. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Yeah, they ARE new >_< I bought them during summer and started wearing them recently.
    I'm not sure either why my shoes always tend to become like this. Cause it certainly doesn't seem like I jump and land sideways any different than other people...

You should've seen my first pair of shoes though. They were even worse. However this is actually the first time the sole become like this close to the middle of the shoe. Before it was always further down, around the heel.

I e-mailed the store about this problem (bought the shoes in Japan) and I hope to get a good answer soon. I'm thinking of switching to another brand though because this feels just ridiculus as it happens everytime, and on top of that this time I hardly get to use them.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That is rather disturbing to hear.:( I have just received delivery of two pairs of SHB-82W. I haven't even tried them on yet.

My SHB-80W lasted me a number of years, so I was hoping these new shoes would last me quite a while.

Has anyone else had similar problems to Wingu?

6. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    I've had this problem ever since I started badminton actually. My first pair of shoes were SHB-81W and I've had three pair of those I think, where as two of them had (almost) the same problem as the SHB-82W I bought this summer. As I said in my previous post, the problem wasn't towards the middle of the shoe, but rather further down towards the heel part of the sole. Worth to note that I am right handed, and this always happen to my right shoe on the outside. Now the reason behind the problem is quite obvious I think as you land and/or break sideways and it puts tremendous pressure on the shoes. However, knowing that Yonex is "world leading" when it comes go badminton goods and whatnot, I'm expecting certain quality and that their shoes actually can handle this kind of pressure.

My previous pair of SHB-81W (which I used before I started using the 82:s) I've had about half a year and the sole is still intact, although the cushioning has turned bad. I wouldn't complain if the soles fell off on these since I've used them for half a year already and I play quite a lot.
    But 1,5 months? Seriously...

Unfortunaly, no, I haven't heard of anyone having the same problem. I've heard other types of complaints though, for an example about the shoes becoming "too big" after a while and people have to tie them very tight in order to wear them.
    Also, my friend bought a pair of SHB-86EX a while ago and some part on the top of the shoe broke, he got a new pair from Yonex for free, but the same thing happened again recently (after wearing them for only two months).

For now, I'm switching back to my old SHB-81W until I get this sorted out or just buy another brand's shoes. I'm looking at Victor and Li-Ning right now.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Does this also happen to your regular daily wear shoes? If so,then it's the user, not the product. ;) But in any case, looks like it can be fixed by applying a bit of rubber adhesive.

8. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Haha no, it doesn't. I would be walking very weirdly if it did :rolleyes:
    Actually, I tried to use rubber adhesive but even though I let it dry for 48 hours as it said it should before use, the shoe only lasted for about 5 minutes :S

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Hmmm... then it could be a bad batch. Fidget jusy got his, so he'll know after several weeks of use.

10. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

That's manufacturing defect, not tear & wear. Consider Yonex rackets are poorly made these days, I won't be surprised if their shoes aren't great either. But the brand name alone will get the majority of consumers faithful. I used to wear Yonex but now Victor which has better fit and comfort.

11. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Well, good news is that I got a brand new pair from the shop. I just hope they don't wear as fast...

12. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That's good news about the shop replacing the shoes, Wingu.I see how the problem arose : The sole is glued partially on that shiny (and none too adhesive) hard plastic-y part of the sole. That is different from how it on my SHB- 80W. As for my 82W's, I have only worn them once so far. (How is it that Life is allowed to infringe on my badminton time?!). They feel very comfortable. And the sole us intact so far. Here's hoping for good luck for Wingu and me. :)

13. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Yeah I noticed that as well. I'm still going to buy a second pair of different shoes, just to be safe.

14. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    A few of the club members at my old university club here in Tokyo uses the 82W and they don't seem to have had any problems with the shoes so far. I think they've used them for a while as well.