setting to ONE point...

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Faisal, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

How many of you have setted to ONE point when playing? And did you win/loose at the end? For the first time I tried it today and I won!, just at our club though, not in a tournment. But I must say that when I made this decision, I was feeling kind of nervous and so as my opponent...maybe that's why I won :)

- Have anyone of you tried this in doubles? MUCH more risky isn't it.
    - When should we make such choice?
    - Does this happen in actual tournments? I know CM setted to one point once and eventually won, though I never saw that match...would love to see it. Do you guys know what tournment was it and what year?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    1999 WC in Copenhagen, Denmark against Dai Yun.

post tournament reports tells that apparently Dai didn't know that Camilla chose to set to 11 instead. she looked rather confused when everybody started celerbrating.

the more interesting is that Camilla and Dai played almost an identical game a week before during the Sudirman Cup at the same exact location. that time Camilla chose to set to 13 and lost the match.

3. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I'm a bit of a gambler, so I actually prefer to set to 1 point during doubles if I think the odds are on my side (eg. the opponent is down to their second serve or something).

Interestingly, what happens a lot of times is that I end up winning back the serve. But then my team would blow the two serves that we have earned. :rolleyes:

-Rick

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I have my fair share of wins and losses in Setting one point. It depends also on the situation when you make the decision. Some may call it a gamble.. some may call it luck if they win. Setting one point during a crucial match will also make an impact to your opponent. Make them nervous or you hope that they will make an unforced error. But it may come back to you as well. :) We can't guarantee that we will win setting one point or even 3 points. It all depends on the situation.

5. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    doubles, i almost never set to 1 point.... i SOMETIMES do when they're on the second serve...

as for singles, i set to 1 point if i am really tired... because i figure that i will not last that long (well, at least i won't be able to play well for that long)

at the same time, you have to look at your opponent... if your opponent is tired, setting to 3 makes more sense if you can outlast him/her...

6. Jus_anothr_grl

Jus_anothr_grl Regular Member

student
    I've seen a mixed doubles pair do that this past year at OFSAA for A flight finals i think...and they won! haha. i remember the girl saying to the guy, "ONE?!?! Are you crazy?!?!"

7. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    an interesting thread because i almost never really think about it a lot. You have to take into account what you have learned about your opponent during the match - if doubles, is the stronger or the weaker player serving to you? what service replies have been most successful when this person is serving? some things to consider
    g

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    It's just something to use to unsettle your opponent, as others have said it is tricky to use in doubles but always good for a laugh if your opposition have the serve, leaving you with a lot of work to do.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    As well as womens singles...

1999 WC s/f MS, Fung Permadi vs Peter Gade third set 1 point setting.

1999 S'pore Open final MD, Choong TF/Lee WW vs Tony G/Candra W. 2nd set, Choong/Lee set to 1 point, lose the game; they win the 3rd game though to take the title.

1983 WC final Liem SL vs Icuk Sugiarto, old rules, Liem doesn't set at 13-13, score goes to 14-14, Liem sets to 3 points (can't remember which game),

Otherwise it is rare:)

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    The problem with the one point is that if you are asked to set then you have reached 14 first but your oponent has the serve, and has just scored at least the last point(maybe even a small run of points).

Is anyone playing in a competition willing to risk a whole game when they could play the safe option and go to 3? Especially if the game is very close, it could mean the difference between playing in the plate or the second round!

11. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    Ardy once set 1 point against Dong Jiong in the WC i believe.. He was already playing for USA at the time, and said he was really tired during the match and decided to set 1 which really confused Dong at first. Can you imagine Ardy tired?:p

12. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Never once in any game did I set to 1 point before. Too risky, plus the fact remains that my opponent has the serve and not I.

13. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Statistically you will always be better to set, their may be psychological reasons for choosing to play one point however. For instance if in doubles they are on second serve and you have been successfully pressuring that players serve you may feel it tips the odds in your favour. If you feel confident of winning two points but not of winning over potnetially many more rallies you may wish not to set.

14. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I'm not sure, but wasn't it Li Yongbo who said:

"Set to one and the luckiest player wins. Set to three and the best player wins."

So, all one has to do is decide which of those two categories one falls into... Easy! :p

15. woop.

woop. Regular Member

Ha ha, quite right.

I have chosen to go to 1 in doubles, but it was only at my club. I don't think my partner could handle the pressure if I chose to do so in a league match.

16. RealMad

RealMad Regular Member

There are only two situations when I consider setting to 1. And it's a given that the opponents are on their second serve.

First is if my team is tired. One game, both myself and my partner had already cramped. We were playing against a team that made us both exert a lot of effort and almost every point involved long rallies. Even if we got the serve back, winning three points against a team that made a living out of grinding rallies was iffy.

The result was good. I think the other team was surprised at the decision so the server floated a lob serve at me since he really didn't want to commit a service fault. The lob however wasn't particularly close to the back line so I smashed it back at the server. A weak return came and my partner put it away. We won the game on the next point.

Second is if the other team is better than my team. Sometimes you make game point and you have to admit to yourself that the other team is better but you had some fantastic breaks go your way. In that case, you just have to consider that maybe it's easier to pull off an upset if you only have to win one point as against three.

But if you're pretty confident that you're on equal footing with your opponent and exhaustion hasn't set in, it's always better to go to 3 points and win via consistent play.

17. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    14-15!!

Today we had a match with another club and in the second set of my singles, I decided to set to one point when the score reached 14-all, and I lost :( because of a stupid mistake at the net...Oh well now I am gonna think twice before making this decision in a tournement! But I won the match though, which was obviously nice...

15-4, 14-15, 15-3

I guess I was underestimating my opponeent too much:rolleyes: and then in the decider set I was serious again...

18. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Also Thomas Cup 2002 semi final Indonesia v Denmark

Score tied at 2-2 going into the final singles match between Marleve Mainaky and Kenneth Jonassen. The first game went 15-14 to Marleve, but I don't know who chose not to set.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Laws Of Badminton - Scoring System

I was not too sure whether a player can "set" to one point, so I consulted the Law.

Law 7 of the Laws of Badminton describes the Scoring System.

Law 7.4 : If the score becomes 14-all (10-all in ladies' singles), the side which first scored 14 (10) shall exercise the choice in Law 7.4.1 or 7.4.2;

Law 7.4.1 to continue the game to 15 (11) points, ie not to "set" the game; or

Law 7.4.2 to "set" the game to 17 (13) points.

So, strictly speaking, there is no such thing as "setting to one point". If you don't want to "set to 17 points" (here again, they didn't use three points as we will nornally do in social badminton), you merely choose not to 'set', and the game will continue to 15 points.

So if the umpire were to ask the player or side as in doubles, whether to set when reaching 14 points first, the player should reply either "not to set" or "set to 17 points".

IMO, setting is always a safer option. However, if you are very confident and if you feel that the server is weakening, then you may opt to set to 17 points. As some have said, by not setting, you may well "shock" your server opponent and he may be too traumatized to be able to execute a good serve. In opting not to set in doubles, it is better to do so when your opponent is the second server.