User Tag List

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also there are differences in the way each country measures hp or bhp. The Americans use SAE, the Europeans ISO, the Japs JIS, and the Germans perhaps DIN. The only good and credible hp or bhp rating is when both cars are done by the same testing outfit.
    Cooler's way is what marketers love to do. Beware consumers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    but cooler,
    you haven't kept all other things equal
    I can see some differences between those two vehicles
    i try to find examples with same bhp/kg.

yes, there are differences but the differences seem to favor the agile lotus elite: eg manual transmission, lower center of gravity, racing tires, stiffer suspension, better front/rear weight balance BUT THE SOCCER MOM SUV STILL WIN IN 0-60MPH TIME
    Last edited by cooler; 07-22-2005 at 03:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Also there are differences in the way each country measures hp or bhp. The Americans use SAE, the Europeans ISO, the Japs JIS, and the Germans perhaps DIN. The only good and credible hp or bhp rating is when both cars are done by the same testing outfit.
    Cooler's way is what marketers love to do. Beware consumers.
    if that is so, then american bhp is slightly hyped and japan/europeans bhp is conservative, then my comparison discredit your claim even more so because the american truck bhp/kg is too optimistic and your lotus elite bhp/kg should be better, and the 0-60 mph time disparity is even worst now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    wow, what did the dudes do to it? new camshafts, new chip, new ignition system, . . . etc.? No turbocharger & intercooler? And 220 hp is wheel horsepower?
    they modified the integra type r engine, engine code b18c, its all motor so theres no turbo, no super charger and no nitrous. they changed some of the stock parts and installed a bigger throttle, they port and polished the intake manifold, reprogramed the cpu, changed the fuel map, installed a bigger 4 to 1 exhaust manifold and polished the inside, increased the compression ratio, lightened the flywheel, changed the final ratio of the gearing. 220hp at the flywheel so less 20% power loss b'cuz of energy transfer. i installed exedy triple plate racing clutch so theres not much power loss, a stiffer engine support, and spoon N1 racing exhaust. i use it for my daily comute after i drove it for 6000kms i sold it and bought a b16a honda civic SIR engine and mated it with a honda civic type r tranny. you can check out my ride at www.pbase.com/dondiboy99/glen_e hey ants! saw you at the mvp cup, i envy you cuz you got all access to the players regarding the roads here, well you just have to know the roads you take thats why i dont take my car to places where the road is littered with holes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow, quite an extensive re-work of the engine! Did they put in forged aluminum pistons? What's the final compression ratio (12.50:1.00)? Did you add octane booster (more toulene) to premium gas? And wouldn't 4-1 exhaust robs you of torque and pickup at low to medium rpm? And what's vibration like compared to orginal?

Quote Originally Posted by glencomienda111
    they modified the integra type r engine, engine code b18c, its all motor so theres no turbo, no super charger and no nitrous. they changed some of the stock parts and installed a bigger throttle, they port and polished the intake manifold, reprogramed the cpu, changed the fuel map, installed a bigger 4 to 1 exhaust manifold and polished the inside, increased the compression ratio, lightened the flywheel, changed the final ratio of the gearing. 220hp at the flywheel so less 20% power loss b'cuz of energy transfer. i installed exedy triple plate racing clutch so theres not much power loss, a stiffer engine support, and spoon N1 racing exhaust. i use it for my daily comute after i drove it for 6000kms i sold it and bought a b16a honda civic SIR engine and mated it with a honda civic type r tranny. you can check out my ride at www.pbase.com/dondiboy99/glen_e hey ants! saw you at the mvp cup, i envy you cuz you got all access to the players regarding the roads here, well you just have to know the roads you take thats why i dont take my car to places where the road is littered with holes
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 07-22-2005 at 07:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    Wow, quite an extensive re-work of the engine! Did they put in forged aluminum pistons? What's the final compression ratio (12.50:1.00)? Did you add octane booster (more toulene) to premium gas? And wouldn't 4-1 exhaust robs you of torque and pickup at low to medium rpm? And what's vibration like compared to orginal?
    what i bought is the souped-up b18c engine from spoon sports japan, you can check it out at http://www.inlinefour.com/spoonbserena.html but i bought it from japan so its a bit cheaper than buying it from u.s., the octane rating im using here in the philippines is around 95-98, before i was using aviation fuel but its kinda expensive if you just use it going from home to school and work. yup 4-1 exhaust robs you of torque, if you want torque then you should use 4-2-1, thats why i drive the engine at a different rpm level, a little above the normal way you drive an ordinary car. but remember the typeR engine likes being driven over the redline power band is at the high rpm's, vibration increased b'cuz i changed the engine suspension bushing, you can feel the engines vibration racing down your arms, its like you and the car are 1. i miss my car im still saving up for my next toy project, a mitsu lancer evolution

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Guys, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10

http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en1/exp...otorsport.html

The main novelty of the R10 is its engine: a TDI Turbo Diesel engine, running on Shell V-Power Diesel. It is a 5.5 L (335.6 ci) all-aluminium bi-turbo 90 V12, with common rail direct injection of more than 1600 bar. Its output should be 650 hp (485 kW) (regulated) and 1100 Nm (811 ftlbf) of torque, and its usable power band is between 3000 and 5000 rpm. Its benefits are a broad range of usable power, high torque and economy. Two Garrett turbochargers limited by the regulations to 2.94 bar absolute breathe through two 39.9 mm intake air restrictors. It uses the latest Bosch Motronic (MS14) management, 1600 bar piezo injectors, and makes a low noise for a race car.
    It will be difficult for Audi to overcome the weight of this engine. The latest Audi TDI 3.0 L (183 ci) V6 weighs 220 kg (485 lb) and the 4.2 L V8 255 kg (256.2 ci, 562 lb) but their blocks are made of CGI iron. The V12 is rumoured to weigh upwards of 200 kgs,[4] Audi engineers admit that the weight per cylinder is the same as the precededing 3.6-litre FSI V8 of the Audi R8.[5] The wheelbase has been increased over the R8 to 2980 mm to account for this. This is unfavorable against the 130 kg (287 lb) of a concurrent Judd V10, and even the 180 kg of the Ricardo turbodiesel prototype based on it.[6]
    Audi's decision to use a diesel engine emphasizes the commercial success of TDI (and its competitors) on Europe's roads. It isn't however, the first diesel to be raced at Le Mans. In 2004 a Lola equipped with a Caterpillar re-badged VW V10 TDI ran for a few hours before breaking its gearbox. Peugeot will compete with its new diesel effort in 2007 in its 908

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4024023

The Le Mans-winning Audi R10 TDI is a thoroughbred race car from the wheels up, and a direct descendant of the all-conquering R8 that won five Le Mans, six Sebring 12-hour races and a catalogue of American Le Mans Series (ALMS) titles. But it isn't a race car with a diesel engine; it's a diesel race car—designed from a clean sheet of paper around an engine that's designed purely for racing. So while there have been diesel race cars before—even at Indy—and even production-based diesel race winners, there has never been a purpose-built diesel-powered race car as focused and advanced as this one.
    It's turbocharged 5.5-liter four-cam V12 engine makes more than 650 horsepower and 840 lb-ft of torque, and that's enough to give it a top speed of more than 200 mph on a circuit like Le Mans. And in March, against serious opposition including the race-winning Porsche prototypes from ALMS, it proved it has what it takes by winning its first time out, at Sebring. But make no mistake, this was a mission, not just motor racing—and even for the purposes of making America take notice, Sebring was just the appetizer. Le Mans is the always going to be the main meal.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,67534,00.html

Special deisel fuel: crude diesel mixed with liquified natural gas converted to diesel

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005..._shell_wi.html

More about synthetic diesel
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 08-01-2006 at 05:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe disel is the fuel of the future . I read an article about a Disel powered car that sprayed a mixture of urea in the exhaust that reduced 80% of the emissions and got rid of the awful diesel burning smell. Its just a concept car right now. I think mercedes, ill see if i can find the article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The urea is a reduction agent to breakdown the NOx in the catalyst. Diesel is really the stepping stone to hydrogen fuel cell.

The VW Golf or Jetta TDI can easily travel from Calgary to Vancouver on one tank of diesel. Try that with gasoline engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian =--(O)
    Maybe disel is the fuel of the future . I read an article about a Disel powered car that sprayed a mixture of urea in the exhaust that reduced 80% of the emissions and got rid of the awful diesel burning smell. Its just a concept car right now. I think mercedes, ill see if i can find the article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default they're here

Honda unveils diesel system to rival gasoline cars By Chang-Ran Kim, Asia auto correspondent
    2 hours, 6 minutes ago

HAGA-GUN, Japan (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co. (7267.T) said on Monday it has developed a new and simple diesel powertrain that is as clean as gasoline-fuelled cars, unveiling plans to mount it on a car for the U.S. market by 2009.

Diesel engines, which now power half of Europe's new cars, are slowly gaining traction with fuel-conscious consumers around the world since they typically get 30 percent better mileage than gasoline cars.

Their weakness has been the higher exhaust levels of nitrogen oxide (NOx), a greenhouse gas, and carmakers are racing to come up with ways to clear the world's strictest emissions regulations, which the United States will usher in next year.

Honda's new diesel drivetrain generates and stores ammonia within a two-layer catalytic converter to turn nitrogen oxide into harmless nitrogen.

Honda engineers said the technology is superior to a process pioneered by Germany's DaimlerChrysler AG (DCXGn.DE) because the latter requires a complex system and heavy add-ons to generate ammonia from urea-based additives.

Some technical hurdles remain.

The system would need fine-tuning for the wide-ranging cetane indexes of diesel fuel found in the United States. Honda also needs to develop technology to measure emissions levels according to U.S. On-Board Diagnostic System requirements.

But Japan's third-biggest auto maker said it planned to roll out the advanced diesel engine, first in the United States within three years and later to other regions. DaimlerChrysler, which along with Volkswagen AG (VOWG.DE) already sells diesel cars in the world's biggest auto market, is preparing its next-generation diesel car for a 2008 launch.

Honda has long been at the forefront of green powertrain technology, perhaps most famously with the development in 1973 of the CVCC (Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion) engine which gave the popular Civic its name. The engine was the first to meet U.S. clean air guidelines without a catalytic converter.

"Just as we paved the way for cleaner gasoline engines, we will take the leadership in the progress of diesel engines," Honda Chief Executive Takeo Fukui told a news conference.

Honda would be "open to considering" licensing its new diesel technology once it was perfected, Fukui said.

FUEL CELLS, FLEX-FUEL

In a demonstration of other new power plant technologies at its R&D center in Tochigi, north of Tokyo, Honda also showed off a prototype of its next-generation fuel cell vehicle which runs on a newly developed compact and more powerful fuel cell stack.

The new stack is designed to allow the hydrogen and water formed during electricity generation to flow vertically instead of horizontally, making the component 20 percent smaller and 30 percent lighter than the previous version.

Honda's new FCX fuel-cell car now has a driving range of 570 km (354 miles) -- a 30 percent improvement from the 2005 model. Its maximum speed is 160 km (100 miles) per hour, and it can be driven in temperatures as low as minus 30 degrees Celsius (-22F).

Honda plans to begin marketing the car in limited numbers in 2008 in Japan and the United States.

Honda said it also developed a flexible fuel vehicle system that can operate on any proportion of ethanol to gasoline between 20 percent and 100 percent. That car will be sold in Brazil, the biggest market for ethanol-based vehicles, later this year.

"Way out in the future, the ultimate green car will be fuel cell vehicles," Fukui said. "But in the meantime, you need a wide range of green technology to meet varying local needs and fuel supply."

---------------
    1. new diesel engine
    2. new fuel cell
    3. new fuel cell car
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by cooler; 09-25-2006 at 12:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is it possible to run a turbocharged directed-injected gasoline engine at stoichiometric ratio or lean without detonation/knock? Emission is not a consideration . Water and methanol injection are not allowed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think so.

Simply speaking, you have to raise the amount of fuel that goes into the engine. A turbo by definition compresses air, ergo introducing a lot more of it than normal. Air/fuel ratio is everything for aftermarket turbos.

That said, there are some carmakers that can still manage to keep the compression ratio high with turbo applications...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Those manufacturers re-circulate large amount of the exhaust gas back into the compression chamber.

What about very high pressure direct fuel injection? Something like 20,000 psi?

Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    I don't think so.

Simply speaking, you have to raise the amount of fuel that goes into the engine. A turbo by definition compresses air, ergo introducing a lot more of it than normal. Air/fuel ratio is everything for aftermarket turbos.

That said, there are some carmakers that can still manage to keep the compression ratio high with turbo applications...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just saw something that might interest you...found this on Car and Driver's road test of the Cadillac STS V6.

"This latest V-6 is indeed a gem. Significant among its attributes is direct fuel injection, which squirts the fuel into the combustion chamber rather than the intake track. That’s not new technology, but direct injection is gaining in popularity because when the fuel is introduced into the cylinder, there’s a cooling effect that increases charge density and reduces the tendency for harmful detonation. This allows designers to raise the compression ratio for better efficiency and more power."
    http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...c-sts-v-6.html

Albeit naturally aspirated, this is interesting...so it seems direct injection might help your cause after all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Pulse Plug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has already been confirmed that Honda is going to replace its slow selling Accord Hybrid V6 with a new diesel powered Accord in 2009. The new engine will be based on Honda's 2.2L i-CTDi engine. Honda claims that the new Accord Diesel will be able to achieve over 60 mpg.

A European Accord that was fitted with the 2.2L diesel was capable of achieving 62.8mpg.

That means that the US version of the car should achieve around 52 mpg.

The new engine will meet the new emissions standards in the US and will run as cleanly as regular gas engines. The diesel engine uses a catalytic converter that reduces the nitrogen oxide output by converting it to ammonia. The ammonia is then used to further neutralize the remaining NOx.
    ---
    it seem car makers are diesel craze now.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast