User Tag List

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 1983 Brabham BMW F1 car used a 1.3 liter, 4 cylinder block to produce 1500+ bhp during qualifying. What's more amazing was the block is a steel lump used in road cars and already has clocked over 100,000kms before MSport modifying it for F1 use.

Car makers are definately making more powerful and heavier cars today. I used to remember that back in 1990, a 2 liter Nissan Pulsar (Sunny) had an amazing 130 hp, no turbo whatever. That thing flew! Now a Honda S2000 extracts a easy 225 hp from 2 liter, and a front wheel drive Citrone Xsara kit car can crank out an amazing 340+ hp and win rally with it!

Talk about soccer mums driving around in SUVs that never sees any dirt. The world seem to have forgotten about the energy crisis of the 70's and gone all fat and wasteful again. Over here we are no better and busy city streets are crammed with X5s, M-Class and LandBruisers. We call them Toorak tractors here. With so many people willing to pay big buck for 4WDs / SUVs that never leaves tarmac, any wonder why Porsche decided to make Cayenne Turbo - to ferry kids from home to school in 2 min flat!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

torque (and hp) peaks at like 5000rpm. who cares about 5000rpm? how often do i go up to 5000rpm?

So Kwun will you be buying a diesel car to ferry your badminton gear around in the future? Or a Toyota Prius electric car - an electric motor generates maximum torque at 1 rpm!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOLOL, you and kwun are making me cry, from laughing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ayl
    torque (and hp) peaks at like 5000rpm. who cares about 5000rpm? how often do i go up to 5000rpm?

So Kwun will you be buying a diesel car to ferry your badminton gear around in the future? Or a Toyota Prius electric car - an electric motor generates maximum torque at 1 rpm!
    yup, the electric motor makes more torque than its gasoline engine. I gasped when i read that. Electric motor 305 Nm, gasoline engine 102 Nm.
    http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/priustechspecs.html
    Last edited by cooler; 11-16-2003 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ayl

no. i will just stop buying hondas...

turns out most of the cars i am looking at nowadays have pretty decent torque at low revs so no problems there.

agree mostly with what you said about SUVs.. but there is also some good "utility" to be had for the big trunk. nice to hold those extra large badminton bags with all the cab rackets i have in there... so i am settling with a station wagon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think a nice small suv would be nice such as the Honda CRV or the Element. If you're into Toyota, the Highlander. Small not as big as the usual suv out there. Decent gas milage, and you can hold stuff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Variable valve timing and valve lifting are suppose to solve the compromise that auto makers has been facing since the dawn of internal combustion engine. BMW has the closest solution with the VANOS & valvetronic - throttleless intake manifold with infinite valve lift control. Nothing beats solenoid-operated valves but its response time is too slow at high rpm.

Originally posted by cooler

Wahahahahahaha, i feel for ya kwun
    Yes, torque rules. No torque, no hp. Unfortunately, torque is quite related to displacement which lead back to the saying 'no replacement for displacement'
    Since city driving put a wide range of demand on an engine, it is a balancing act how car makers distribute torque vs hp along the rpm for a particular car and its purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Kwun,

Maybe Volvo station wagon fits your requirement!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Pete LSD
    Kwun,

Maybe Volvo station wagon fits your requirement!
    yeah, there isnt much out there that can be labeled as true stationwagon anymore. Auto makers nowadays favor blending functions into one vehicle. Ex. highlander=stn wagon + van, murano and cayenne =sport + suv, Touareg=stn wgn + suv. VW amd volvo are the ones i can think of now that makes the traditional station wagon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

volvos are like $30k+ i dont think kwun would wanted to spend so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Pete LSD
    Variable valve timing and valve lifting are suppose to solve the compromise that auto makers has been facing since the dawn of internal combustion engine. BMW has the closest solution with the VANOS & valvetronic - throttleless intake manifold with infinite valve lift control. Nothing beats solenoid-operated valves but its response time is too slow at high rpm.
    from my limited knowledge of engine design, i think multi valving and variable timing meant to improve torque and hp distribution under different loads and rpm, not really meant to increase torque in absolute amount although more hp can be extracted in multivalves at high rpm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supported.

BMW's variable valve timing and manifold design is to allow greater spread of torque over engine rev range, not necessarily increase torque output as a whole. BMW's engine design can be considered as the best compromise between Japanese style of peaky, high rev, high power, low torque, small capacity engine and American way of thundering, low rev, low(ish) power, high torque, big capacity engine.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Originally posted by shiriblue
    volvos are like $30k+ i dont think kwun would wanted to spend so much.
    hehe. actually, volvo is in my list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh hahahaha get the cross country you wont be sorry oh yes SF auto show! time to go check out cars!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default you american are so lucky

Hooray!!! The SUV Tax Credit lives on

Great news for Auto Spies readers who qualify!

Republican leaders dumped a Senate plan to eliminate the SUV tax loophole (Section 179) that allows small-business owners to deduct up to $100,000 from their income for buying SUV's with a GVWR of 6000 lbs. or greater.

For some people, this deduction is more lucrative than their mortgage interest tax deduction.

The only things we would change about the deduction if we could, would be to open it up to any vehicle that is appropriate for each small business owners needs.

Be sure to consult your tax advisor to determine your eligiblity and to get further details.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

100,000? given a tax rate of say, 25%, that's enough to pay for the vehicle itself!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup. that is one reason why suv had become so popular in the US. If that incentive is available in canada, i'll get a 6000 gvwr suv/truck too, to carry my baddy rackets around

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast