User Tag List

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THere was a chart posted in a car forum, and it listed problems per 1000 vehicles or something and GM i believe are actually pretty reliable.. not to the likes of honda and toyota, but still they hold their own..
    But the steriotype to the american cars are fairly true in cases like ford and dodge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

excuse me cooler but Ford Europe here is good reilable perhaps it just the american made fords which arn't so good lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ttktom, i don't know too much about ford europe but i can postulate some reasons for your observation.

i believe ford europe products are different from ford's american product. Less so now because of cost saving measure like convergence of products (ex. focus and ranger). Generally speaking, more so in the past, ford europe makes models geared toward european public like having more models in the subcompact class. Since these specific models are being manufactured in europe, standards are higher because their competitors are M. benz, bmw, peugeot, alfa r.

In reverse, ford europe dont distribute american ford(duds) products like topaz, tempo, tauras, sable, pinto, aerostar, earlier explorer and windstar. These vehicles last about 2 years, best one last about 4 years with the remaining 2 years on and off mechanic shops.

oh btw, here is the latest recall on a new ford. I dont know if the recall applies to european focus

---------------
    Ford Focus recall
    November 25, 2003

Ford Canada is recalling 83,710 Focus' because of a problem in the fuel system. The filter in the fuel delivery module (fdm) can become contaminated, which can block the flow of fuel to the engine.

As a result of this problem, vehicles could experience engine hesitation, loss of power, surging, and other similar problems. Over time, the filter could become blocked, causing the car to stall.

Ford will replace the fdm in vehicles that exhibit any of these symptoms, free of charge, for a period of ten years following the original warranty start day of the vehicle. Owner notification is expected to begin in January.

-------------------
    if you have free times, have some laughs on these recent (1997+)recalls.

http://www.safetyalerts.com/rcls/cat.../ford.htm#ford
    Last edited by cooler; 12-11-2003 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Found On Road Dead to Fix Or Repair Daily = Progress

Ford Recalls Escape SUVs

The Daily Auto Insider
    Thursday, December 11, 2003
    December 2003

Ford is recalling 132,243 2001-model Ford Escape sport utility vehicles to fix a seat belt buckle that could fail to latch.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has been investigating complaints about the seat belts but only one minor injury has been reported as a result of the defect, according to Ford.

Ford has informed dealers of the recall and says it plans to mail letters to Escape owners next month.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I drop 2004 f150 from my shopping list because of the weak looking bumper(plus among other things). My guess was right. Itís a shame a large truck canít handle 5mph bumps. My current car can hit wall at 8-10 mph, either directions, with no damage.
    Article below in USD.

Ford Trucks Expensive to Fix, Tests Show

The Daily Auto Insider
    Friday, December 12, 2003
    December 2003

In a continuing series of bumper crash tests performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, an industry-funded research and lobbying organization, two new Ford trucks did poorly.

In the test, the front and back of both vehicles were subjected to five-mph impacts which, the institute says, simulate low-speed crashes in a parking lot or heavy traffic.

The 2004 F-150 pickup required an average of $1,500 in repairs in each of four tests and the 2004 Ford Freestar minivan required an average of $700 in repairs.

The F-150 sustained the most damage ó $2,041 in repairs ó when it backed into a pole. The Freestar sustained the most damage ó $1,239 ó when its front end hit an angled barrier.

Ford responded to the tests with the following statement: "[Ford] designs all of its vehicle bumper systems to perform well in the company's stringent internal testing. These tests by the IIHS are conducted to determine cost estimates to repair damage incurred in low speed bumper impact tests and are not related to occupant safety. In addition, these tests may not be representative of the type of damage that occurs in real world situations."
    Last edited by cooler; 12-12-2003 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default taking turns

GM Recalls 824,000 Cars to Fix Steering
    Mon Jan 12, 9:57 AM ET

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - news) said on Monday it was recalling about 824,000 cars built from January 1996 through October 1997 to fix a possible power steering problem.

The world's largest automaker said models affected by the problem include the 1996 Buick Regal, the 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, the 1997-98 Oldsmobile Cutlass, Chevrolet Lumina, Monte Carlo, Malibu and 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue cars.

Some 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix and Oldsmobile Cutlass Supremes and 1997-98 Buick Regal cars were also affected, GM said.

It said about 750,000 of the vehicles subject to the recall were in the United States while most of the remainder were sold in Canada.

In some of the vehicles a lower pinion bearing in the power steering gear may separate, causing the driver to experience an intermittent loss of power steering assist or unintended power assist, according to GM.

It said there had been reports of eight injuries that may be related to the problem but no fatalities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Common Rail Diesel

Hey Folks,

Common Rail Diesel cars from Mercedes and VW will be coming to North America. Kwun, the E-320 diesel is something you might consider .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

ahh well at least now you will have more choices of Diesel engined cars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oops, I did it again (britney spears)

Note the date of recalls and models. LOL
    ----------------------------------------------------
    GM Recalls 1.8 Million Cars for Ignitions
    2 hours, 52 minutes ago
    February 6, 2004

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. said Friday it is recalling 1.8 million cars to repair potential problems with the ignition switch that may cause a fire.

The models involved are certain 1998-2001 Chevrolet Cavaliers and Pontiac Sunfires built between March 1997 and April 2001. In addition, some 1998 Pontiac Grand Am, Oldsmobile Achieva, and Buick Skylark cars built between March 1997 and January 1998 are being recalled.

Of the total, 1.4 million of the vehicles are in the United States and 337,000 are in Canada. The remaining vehicles are outside these countries.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GM recalls 1.9M cars

Automaker says problem with ignition switch poses threat of fire on steering column.
    April 3, 2002: 4:12 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - General Motors Corp. announced a recall of 1.9 million cars Wednesday due to the risk of an electrical fire in the steering column.

The models covered by the recall are the 1995-97 Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire, and the 1996-97 Buick Skylark, Pontiac Grand Am and Oldsmobile Achieva.
    Last edited by cooler; 02-06-2004 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell you what, I think GM is a very good buy, IF AND ONLY IF you plan to use it up to one year.

GM = Goodbye Money

Honda rules, and I will only buy Honda in my rest of life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by bluejeff
    Tell you what, I think GM is a very good buy, IF AND ONLY IF you plan to use it up to one year.

GM = Goodbye Money

Honda rules, and I will only buy Honda in my rest of life.
    Hahahaha, JP, CH, or US version?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey cooler, you're forgetting the CD versions that are built in Allison, Ontario la!

-Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true enough but bluejeff live in the US and US version is quite similar to CD. I listed JP and CH because they might perform differently than US/CD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default it's not a joke but sure sounds like one

GM Now Recalling 636,000 SUVs
    Mon Feb 9,12:44 PM ET
    By Michael Ellis

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. said on Monday it will recall about 636,0000 mid-size sport utility vehicles, its second major recall in four days.

GM (NYSE:GM - news), the world's largest automaker, said there had been two reports of crashes related to electronics that could short-circuit when water leaks into a wiper module. No injuries or fatalities were reported from those two crashes, GM said.

The recall includes certain model year 2002 and 2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer and TrailBlazer EXT, GMC Envoy and Envoy XL, and Oldsmobile Bravada SUV models as well as some Isuzu Motors Ltd. (7202.T) Ascenders, which GM builds, GM said in a statement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am surprised that you guys still using ft-lb, miles, hp for technical things. When I was undergraduate 20 years ago SI units was introduced in US & Canada, by now younger generations should use SI already, unless the system want you to go back to the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The answer is quite simple . . . Our American neighbor holds the economic stick and they use imperial!!! So, us poor Canadian has to oblige.

Originally posted by sjoe
    I am surprised that you guys still using ft-lb, miles, hp for technical things. When I was undergraduate 20 years ago SI units was introduced in US & Canada, by now younger generations should use SI already, unless the system want you to go back to the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we canadian are smarter than all of you , we are bilingual in units.
    the SI was never implemented nor accepted in the US.
    hmmm, the yankee booted out the british but they kept their measuring standards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we canadian are smarter than all of you , we are bilingual in units.
    the SI was never implemented nor accepted in the US.
    hmmm, the yankee booted out the british but they kept their measuring standards.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast