User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Contextually,I think it should be obvious that I'm referring to the regular adult international tournaments, such as the GPG or SS. Surely we are not going to compare He BJ's Badminton Asia Youth U17 GS title (is it worth mentioning again?) with Akane's JPN Open SS WS title conquering the more experienced,established, once-upon-a-time child prodigy now 19-yr-old world-class player,Tai Tzu Ying, in the final.

OK, I re-qualify my statement that by 'win anything' I have in mind not the junior events but the adult tourneys. Or I should've added 'win anything of significance'.

Don't forget, even IR started playing in the adult international circuit around age 14 and only won her first GPG title at age 16 (?) i.e. 2 years later - if I remember correctly, it's the India Open GPG in 2011 - before capturing the world title at 18, four years later . So Akane winning a SS title at age 16, assuming she just started her international playing career, is much more impressive, age-wise. Btw, at the East Asian Games last month, Akane, somewhat surprisingly, failed to get past Wang Shixian (whom many considered over-the-hill) in the semifinals.

For me, being the youngest or oldest champion is worthy of praise and deserving of mention in the Guinness Book of Records but it's still not as noteworthy as being a great(est) champion.

As for He BJ, we really have to wait for her to start competing at the adult level to know how good she can be or is. I believe she will live up to my expectations when the time comes.
    aren't the chinese players generally stay longer in the country and go international later? often young chinese players are not even in front of the junior ranking because they play national competition for quite long (at least I know it is like that in table tennis). that works in china because the national competition is already world class, so the lack of international competition doesn't hurt them. Maybe one reason is even to make sure other players cannot figure the young guys out too early. chinese sport doesn't care about SS tournaments, world rankings or junior rankings but mostly about gold medals (especially olympic medals).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so,u are police in bc which doesnt let others to compare akane with he bing jiao?
    funny~~~
    ---
    let see who will be the winner in wjc ws 2013
    akane,aya ohari,busanan and he bing jiao should be contender for the title.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dominikk1985 View Post
    aren't the chinese players generally stay longer in the country and go international later? often young chinese players are not even in front of the junior ranking because they play national competition for quite long (at least I know it is like that in table tennis). that works in china because the national competition is already world class, so the lack of international competition doesn't hurt them. Maybe one reason is even to make sure other players cannot figure the young guys out too early. chinese sport doesn't care about SS tournaments, world rankings or junior rankings but mostly about gold medals (especially olympic medals).
    he just try to find excuse for he bing jiao.
    if he bing jiao won that match against akane,u will saw a 180 degree different post from him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aren't the chinese players generally stay longer in the country and go international later? often young chinese players are not even in front of the junior ranking because they play national competition for quite long (at least I know it is like that in table tennis). that works in china because the national competition is already world class, so the lack of international competition doesn't hurt them.
    Oh, sure. Keep them inside The Great Wall, keep banking on dependable stars, and... look at the likes of Chen Yuekun, Zhou Wenlong, Qiao Bin, and Chen Xiaojia to name some. Time is running out for them.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes,generally speaking,you're right. My understanding is that it's CBA's standard practice or policy to allow their promising youngsters to play in the adult international circuit only when they are about 18/19 years old. But I'm wondering if CBA would start to make exceptions beginning with the 16-yr-old He Bingjiao who performed quite remarkably in the recent Chinese National Games team event notably beating the capable veteran, Jiang Yanjiao, among others.

I mean for these CHN juniors to compete against their compatriots in domestic events where,as you've said,the 'national competition is already world class' is still ,indubitably, very different from playing in the adult international circuit where the pressure,the nerves,the stakes involved are greater as affecting their growth,experience,development, and maturity towards realizing their true potential and attainments in the future.

Clearly, in this regard, the non-CHN juniors are more fortunate, such as the Thais, Japanese, Indonesians, and Europeans (eg,Marin, Axelsen). Anyway, I noticed that He BJ has been registered to play at next month's China Open PSS, her maiden international foray, as a qualifier. I look forward to seeing how far she can go. Btw, Akane Yamaguchi was originally registered to play as a qualifier but she has since withdrawn,regrettably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen her jump smash quite a bit. I wonder if that is a reaction of the chinese coaches to ratchanok who is one of the few player who jump smash. I was already wondering in another thread whether chinese coaches fear that the game of the older chinese stars might be outdated soon and they have to copy ratchanok so win in the future. that is just a theory of course but it would be interesting.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saying there is no comparison between HBJ and AY, one who has no commendable results to speak of to the other who is already a SS winner, a star in-the-making, IS NOT the same as saying 'you are not allowed to make comparisons'.

Of course, logically speaking, it follows that if HBJ beats AY, that's something but not the other way round.

Please don't get my meaning wrong,clearly I've been misunderstood. Whatever, end of conversation between us.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No doubt china national games are of the highest Standrad, they have done and still doing very good foundation works but playing with players from others country will help develop their strategy better.

Different countries has different style of play and it helps youngster to understand more once they experienced it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well in the past that style has worked for china as they won pretty much all olympic gold medals. I think it can only work in such a huge badminton country and not in smaller countries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wang Lin was the last Chinese prodigy. She was more precocious than He Bingjiao. Her first senior tournament was at 15 and she won the china masters at 16 (beating xxf and zn, if I recall correctly). Look what happened to her.

Slow and steady wins the race. Eg Mia Audina vs Zhang Ning.

I have yet to see a great young talent (who started at 14/15/16) succeeding with longevity in badminton in the last 25 years.
    Last edited by djake; 10-28-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djake View Post
    Wang Lin was the last Chinese prodigy. She was more precocious than He Bingjiao. Her first senior tournament was at 15 and she won the china masters at 16 (beating xxf and zn, if I recall correctly). Look what happened to her.

I have yet to see a great young talent (who started at 14/15/16) succeeding with longevity in badminton in the last 25 years.
    Lin dan, taufik and Peter gade all are prodigies...

Taufik virtually retire after 2006

Gade played till 35 years old

Lin dan still going strong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SibugiChai View Post
    Lin dan, taufik and Peter gade all are prodigies...

Taufik virtually retire after 2006

Gade played till 35 years old

Lin dan still going strong
    Taufik may be a good example. He shot into prominence at 17 in the all England then, but his form sort of peters out at 25/26

Lin Dan / Gade came out at 17/18 and they hadnt taken the world by storm then.

I'm actually referring to the 14/15/16 yos
    Last edited by djake; 10-28-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taufik may be a good example. He shot into prominence at 17 in the all England then, but his form sort of peters out at 25/26

Lin Dan / Gade came out at 17/18 and they hadnt taken the world by storm then.
    Depends on what u define by take the world by storm.

Gade and Lin did won their first title during their teens.

Taufik although dropped in performance in later stage of his career, he still a top10 player in the world for long period of time.

I think the closest comparison should be Mia audina, she starts playing for Indonesia at age of 15 and take the world by storm when she defeat Zhang ning to help Indonesia win the uber cup.

She went out to win medals in the olympic...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes,what ur concern is very true.
    lee yong dae was one of the example of child prodigy too,but he still going strong now,25 years old.
    he won his 1st title in 2004(ajc md),9 years ago,16 years old.
    1st senior tournament was 2005.
    hopefully he prove to us that he still have many years to compete in world top class

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    so,u are police in bc which doesnt let others to compare akane with he bing jiao?
    funny~~~
    ---
    let see who will be the winner in wjc ws 2013
    akane,aya ohari,busanan and he bing jiao should be contender for the title.
    all the name i quote reach semi final and japan secured the wjc ws title.
    he bing jiao have 2 more years.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 16 yo He Bingjiao lost to Aya Ohori in the WJC SF today.

Meanwhile, another 16 yo Akane Yamaguchi reaches the WJC Final, having won her first SS title 1.5 months ago.

So, who's the child prodigy now?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The success of young players from Thailand and Japan is welcome and should be celebrated. However, it's beyond me to understand why some people are more enthusiastic in putting down a 16-year who just started her international competition.

Sport is where people channel positive energy, not negative vibe.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast