When to Re-string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by abans, Nov 27, 2012.

1. abans

abans Regular Member

IT
    Apologies if this is a thread form before. I tried searching but couldn't find a thread that talked about it.
    I have a Arcsaber ZS and I got it strung to 24lbs 6 months ago with BG65 Ti. I am wondering how to know if the string tension is at a point where it needs restringing?

The strings are not broken, the racket plays fine. Do people restring even if the strings are not broken? Is there an easy way to measure string tension (without buying specialized equipment)?

Just wanted to know what people do.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

When the bird hits with a thud instead of a paap, then you know it's time. ;)

3. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    ClearTune app on ipod/pad/phone. It measures frequencies.

4. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Yup and mine just did yesterday evening !!!! :(

That is about 6 weeks - I remember reading a thread where one BC forumer recommended 3 months restring (just like car engine oil :D ) due to NORMAL string life degradation. Just like the car, it doesn't mean you cannot drive (play) if you exceed its "lifespan", just not so nice and good anymore ...

#4 maxout, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  5. raistian

raistian Regular Member

I'm going against the flow this time. You don't need to restring :). As long as it plays fine for you then it's fine. As far as the string itself, BG65Ti can last for years before breaking (obviously player-dependant).

Some players are sensitive to string tension change, to a point where it affects their games. Others can adapt & still play well.

That said, a good indicator is to check the condition of the string on the sweet spot. Determine if you need the string to be replaced by assessing any fraying, discoloration, nicks etc. If you're playing competitively or a serious player who likes to win, replace it before it breaks as breaking a string mid game often means losing a point.

6. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    If you can afford it, restring every day.
    Tension loss is for the poor and homeless. Join the elites.

oh, and replace your racquet every 2 months.
    Racquets lose stiffness with use... something lower class citizens have to deal with, but if you're classy like me, I just laugh at all the poor people with their old racquets as I crack open a new bottle of gatorade, have a sip and throw out the rest. Cuz seriously, only poor people drink out of the same bottle twice. *disgusting*

rhoder likes this.
  7. betazone

betazone Regular Member

Hi, sad that some folks gave lame sarcastic response.
    My advice is don't set any timeframe, if you play regularly you will know when the power is not there anymore, some key shots will be high lob, all-out smash and return of smash.

I play once a week and 2 months is the max the string can last before losing power (if I use the same racquet all the time)

8. ChongHL

ChongHL Regular Member

I play 2 to 3 times per week. Never break any string. What string you use and tension? Curious to ask.

9. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Like some people already suggested, if it plays fine for you then stay with it. But if you feel that your shots aren't making the baselines or aren't fast like they used to be, I would cut the strings even if they've not broken yet. I did so just the other day as the strings didn't give me any power or control at all. The string in question was a BG66 UM at 24lbs on both main and cross (nowadays I do 24/26) and I had been using it for about 1,5 months (I play about 10 hours a week and tournaments every weekend). I would've actually cut it earlier than that, but instead I used it for smash exercises for a while as those kind of exercises tend to wear down the strings fast.

If you initially had the tension at 24lbs 6 months ago, the logical thing would be that the tension has dropped significantly. I usually compare the strings tension to other rackets I have by tapping the frame of the rackets (i.e a newly stringed racket on an old one) on the string bed to hear the sound of it. Either that or I use my palm and tap and just meassure approximatly.

#9 Wingu, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    The only times I would restring is if the strings don't play to my liking or I had a match coming up (though I don't play matches anymore!).

Usually it is either when the tension has gone, the string doesn't suit the racquet/playing conditions or they have sufficiently worn.

I've had strings restrung after playing 5mins with it because they didn't feel right but at the other end of the scale, I have had strings on racquets still going strong after several years.

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I restring for every point - really annoys the people at my club; my last match lasted two-and-a-half days...

12. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    that's the funniest thing i've read on this forum, good job. :)

13. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

just my opinion:
    only restring when the string breaks.
    those players who need regular restrings will break the strings regularly anyway.
    and players whose strings don't break certainly don't need a restring...

14. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

There are several factors.
    1) string aging - Different string ages differently. BG65 drop tension quick while bg85 will last more than 6 month.
    2) string condition - When you see the string starts to frey and wearing out, it is time to restring.
    3) stringer's skill - a racquet strung with BG65 by an experienced stringer with a good electric machine, it could last 4~5 month before the string is unplayable. In viseversa, a racquet can be unplayable after 1 week if you had a bad string job.
    4) player's style and shot selections - A hard smasher will have a faster tension drop while a crafty slicer will have a faster string wear.

IMHO, as long as you are wining and can not tell the difference, play until it break. If you play well when the string is new and bad when after 3 month, then replace after 3 month.

Good luck.

15. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i guess i restring a racket when i hit a "normal" shot and it gives me a "whoa-what-the-heck-was-that" shot, then it's time to restring. if you play with the same racket/string/tension long enough, you'll know what to expect from a particular shot, and as soon as you hit it and it's just way off, that's when it's time to cut and restring. :)

16. Lemollin

Lemollin Regular Member

restring when you find that the string doesnt work fine for you,as simple as that :D

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Get a consistent stringer like me if you can. lol.

No need to think ask to 'who is going to string my racket'? ;)

18. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    My fresh strings never last me more than a month with an average of 24h of total combined playtime!