Yonex shuttlecock

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by TKCHIA, Apr 6, 2001.

1. TKCHIA

TKCHIA Guest

Could somebody shed some light on the specifications of yonex feather shuttlecock for the following models eg. Aerosensa 10,20,30,40,50.
    I have tried Yonex websites but no luck.
    Currently I am using yonex aerosensa 3 and 4, and also puzzle by the small number 2 or 3 stick on the tube caps.

Thanks

2. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    The Aerosensa 50's are IBF approved and are used in various international tournaments. They are the highest quality in the USA. But I know of some other Yonex shuttles called the F-90 that is only available in Japan.

3. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    To actually answer part of your question...

The numbers are grades.
    With feather shuttles they also differentiate between altitudes for play.
    I remember reading that post somewhere.
    I believe the lower numbers are more suited to higher altitudes, and colder temperatures, and higher numbers if you're closer to sea level, and it's a warmer climate. (but the Pros tend to "tip" the feathers to suit their own play, either to slow it down, or speed them back up...)

Also the angle of the feathers are slightly different for those levels.

I think there was one more thing...

Some of those feather shuttles you use are of a heavier weight as well, and suited for outdoor play.

Some people don't know the difference, and play with whatever they want, not realizing they're not getting the maximum performance from the shuttle.
    There are many factors that contribute to a "good" game... and the shuttle play/performance is one of them.

Hope this helps.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: To actually answer part of your question...

Kel & TKCHIA,

Kel: slightly inaccurately info.

for feathers shuttles...

the number at the end of the tube is the speed rating. the higher the number the faster it flies.

faster shuttles are more suitable for lower altitude due to denser air, and more suitable for colder climates, also due to denser air.

conversely, slower shuttles are more suitable for higher altitude and warmer climate, for they both have thinner air.

each model of the shuttles are manufactured the same exact way. in other words, all speed rating for a particular model will have the same geometries/angles. the different speed ratings comes about due to slight manufacturing deviations such as weight (they are mostly handmade, afterall). the shuttles are "binned" to different speed ratings by actually launching them into the air and the noting the travel distance.

TKCHIA: your local shops will be able to tell you what speed is suitable for your climate. in fact, they may only sell the suitable ones for obvious reasons. :) also, you may need to use different speed shuttles for summer/winter, depending on which country you are in.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Re: To actually answer part of your question...

It is a hassle to play feather shuttle in my location, dry and high attitude.
    We have to steam them and bend the feather tip to slow them down, sometime several times. The shuttle doesnt last long so these feather bending pauses during games are annoying.

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Thanks...

I knew I was missing the point somewhere. :p