Olympic badminton scandal prompts rule revamp

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Nauroa, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
  2. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    I'm curious, wouldn't it just be easier to make it knock-out straight away, like all other tournaments?

3. visor

visor Regular Member

I think the Olympics committee just want to make sure that everyone gets to play more since the players have to travel from all over the world and it's a big event that only happens every 4 years.

4. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    I like the fact that one bad game isn't costing you the tournament.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

There is still scope for match fixing here. Take WD for example(2 qualified same country pairs), if one pair lose and finish second in group then the next could lose on purpose as there is a chance they could get drawn together in the next round, although if they both finish second they might end up in opposite sides of draw and not meet to the final and no chance of meeting in the very next round. Forgot to mention the country in the example is China:D

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

A Florida lawyer is reportedly suing the Spurs after coach Gregg Popovich rested four of his playersduring a nationally televised game against the Heat in Miami in November.
    ESPN.com reports that Larry McGuinness alleges that the Spurs violated Florida’s “deceptive and fair trade practices law” when Popovich sent Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Danny Green and Tony Parker to San Antonio rather than suit them up against the Heat.
    On Monday, Larry McGuinness filed a class action suit in Miami-Dade County, stating that the team’s head coach, Gregg Popovich, “intentionally and surrepticiously” [sic] sent their best players home without the knowledge of the league, the team and the fans attending the Nov. 29 game against the Heat. McGuinness contends that he, as well as other fans, “suffered economic damages” as a result of paying a premium price for a ticket that shouldn’t cost more.

“It was like going to Morton’s Steakhouse and paying $63 for porterhouse and they bring out cube steak,” said McGuinness, who said he bought his ticket on the resale market. “That’s exactly what happened here.”

NBA commissioner David Stern fined the Spurs $250,000 for Popovich’s strategic resting.

Cont'd: http://nba.si.com/2013/01/15/san-antonio-spurs-sued-resting-players-miami-heat/
    http://nba.si.com/2012/11/30/gregg-popovich-david-stern-spurs-fined-nba/

#6 demolidor, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  7. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

that's just ridiculous!
    a coach should of course always be allowed to give his players a rest.
    it's the same with badminton: if they don't want to play, they should be allowed not to play. this prevents injuries and should be absolutely common sense...

8. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    the Spurs should have just benched the star players, so people who loves to litigate can't sue the team. to be technical, i think it's the "sending the players home without the league's knowledge" that cost them the fine? sorry, i live in the states but i don't follow much sports, let alone their regulation details.

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i'm right at the opposite, hate to see that the champion actually lost a match previously!

10. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Knock-out from the beginning gets my vote

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

BWF want group stages so there are more matches for bad countries Olympic spirit etc, So my vote, respecting everyone's views is to have groups but for only 1st in group to go through, there everybody happy!?

12. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    Knock out from first round, but redraw for second, then third rounds, nightmare for organisers but would completely cut out any fixing

13. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    I hope they do whatever they plan to do at the WC or similar event first! I hate for us to be in the news again and have to explain another fiasco to friends and family during the Olympics.

14. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    hahaha, yea, i know how that feels!!!

15. sjmeister

sjmeister Regular Member

The simplest solution to the problem (whilst still keeping round robin) would be to blind draw the knock out brackets only after the last RR match has been played. That being said, I am in favor of a 128 draw, 16 double byes for top ranked players, 16 byes for 2nd tier, all countries that want/can afford to send can enter a player/team, else the empties are filled with a 2nd player per country starting at the top ranking downward (max 2 players/teams per country per event). Thoughts?

16. ChubbyCheshire

ChubbyCheshire Regular Member

Unlike other sports, not every nation competes in the badminton, only the top players - there is no badminton equivalent of Eric the Eel competing - and top players should be used to knock out as most other tournaments they compete in are like that.

Having said that I'm happy with round robin with some protection against the fixing.

The alternative is, like the Commonwealth Games, is have two events - an individual knockout event (and open it up to more countries not just the top players), and a team event, which can either be knockout or on a league basis. That way you are guaranteed more than one game !

17. ChubbyCheshire

ChubbyCheshire Regular Member

Depending on how many enter, the stonger countries could field more than one team ? Such as China A and China B ?

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

You can't just redraw the whole tournament seed 1&2 might meet in R2. If you keep the seeds in place then no need for redraws anyway(remember all reg for amount of players from one country top 3 etc). Regardless if CHN v CHN met in 2nd round there would be a "light match" so still fixing.

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

That is what they are doing see post 1. Unless you mean every one should be redrawn for knockout, but then that would be not so good, as seed 1&2 could meet in second round ruining the tournament anyway. Your knockout plan seems OK but groups allow for more games for the rubbish players which is their main point, you would still get 48 folk going home with one match of maybe 15mins.

20. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Too many matches for players that would be going all the way in team and individual. Could see it again working in a fixing sense as for example poor LCW would be made to play every team match because no depth and LD would basically get rested the whole team event because CHN would win anyways. If they did it the other way around individual then team I think everyone would just be too knackered anyway.