Good beginner kit?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by alienrj, Nov 30, 2012.

1. alienrj

alienrj New Member

We are a couple just getting into badminton so I'm looking to get the whole set up as an Xmas present. I saw this set on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NICJVK

D
    o you think it is decent and worth the price or would it be better to buy everything individually? I'd like to stay under $100 for everything. And I kind of wanted to get 4 rackets for when we have friends over to have a friendly game. Thanks!

2. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    If you want to play badminton regularly and on a tight budget. I suggest you purchase a decent quality badminton shoes, and the rest of the money could be allocated to buy other EQ such as racket, string, grip, etc.

3. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    Badminton is not meant to be played outside. If you just want to host some party games then this is okay, but if you think you may play it regularly then everything in this kit is a waste of money.

4. alienrj

alienrj New Member

Thank you for the replies. As far as just a recreational set goes which would be best between these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NICJVK
    http://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-Play-Smash-Player-Badminton/dp/B0063UBEVK
    http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Badminton-Black-Rackets-Shuttles/dp/B0019M1EP8

And if we thought we might start playing regularly and more seriously what could you recommend as far as a beginner racket for around $30?

Ty Ty

5. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    Assume that NC means North Carolina, I suppose the $30 racket is the absolute cheapest racket you can get at a respectable sporting goods store (e.g. ****'s). Make sure it is a carbon fibre racket, not a steel one, and make sure that is a one piece racket, not two pieces (shaft and frame) and you will be okay. However if you play regularly you will outgrow those racket pretty quick. A racket in the range of $50-75 will offer better value for money in my humble opinion.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

And don't make the mistake assuming badminton is a cheap sport. The rackets cost just as much as tennis rackets ;) ...
    So for $30 you are scraping the bottom level where closeouts and sales are your best bet for value for money. Something like the Black Knight Impulse 729 & 739 seem about as good as you can get locally (meaning in the US) at slightly over $30 ...
    Doubt you will be able to find something under 90 grams and full graphite for under or around $30 in a local store but can't hurt to look around for sales.

7. alienrj

alienrj New Member

Yeah I'm in North Carolina and wow I had no idea. I'll have to think this over. We've been playing a lot and our other crappy set is completely demolished. We just play in the yard right now though. I'm just not sure how serious we are getting so idk if I should just buy a cheap set and then have it be a waste if we do get more serious and have to replace the rackets anyway or if I should just pay more now for entry level rackets. Decisions decisions.