User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations to Srikanth! Awesome victory from the young talent...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K.Srikanth jumped 17 places from 61 to 44 in the newly released ranking list.
    I am amazed with this lad's improvement. I am really confident that he will move ahead further after Singapore Open 2013. He will reach top 10 soon i think..

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Srikanth aims for Superseries win after Grand Prix success

EXCERPTS:

K Srikanth might be revelling in the glow of his recent Grand Prix Gold win, but the youngster believes he still has a long way to go. The 20-year-old became the first Indian men’s singles player to win a GP Gold tournament outside India when he won the Thailand Open earlier this month.

I have to work on my overall game,” Srikanth says. “I want to win Superseries tournaments, but I have to improve for that.

Srikanth’s rise through the ranks is the quickest among his contemporaries. While most Indian players take their time in transitioning from the junior to the senior level, the Guntur lad made an effortless transition, and in his young senior career has already claimed some big scalps. With wins over the likes of Yunus Alamsyah (Indonesia), his Indian seniors Anup Sridhar and Ajay Jayaram, Suppanyu Avihingsanon (Thailand), Jan O Jorgensen (Denmark) and Boonsak Ponsana (Thailand), Srikanth has shown he isn’t intimidated by big names. Ponsana and Jorgensen are top-ten players, and his victories over them are indicative of a player confident of his own abilities.

In the Thailand Open final, Ponsana seemed rattled by Srikanth’s attacking game, making several uncharacteristic errors on even his basic strokes. The Indian seemed unafraid to go for his shots, scoring off several jump smashes, and left the veteran Thai befuddled. Of his Thailand Open win, Srikanth says: “Right through the tournament I just wanted to play my own game. I’m an attacking player, and I wanted to stick to my strengths. Before the final I was nervous. Ponsana made a few mistakes; I think he was under pressure because he was playing in front of his home crowd.

Srikanth took up the sport as a nine-year-old in his hometown Guntur. His elder brother Nandagopal played at the local stadium, and Srikanth picked up the game by watching him. “We didn’t have a good coach,” says Srikanth. “There was somebody who taught us the basics, but it wasn’t a high level. It was only after I shifted to Gopi Sir’s academy in 2009 that I improved.”

At the World Juniors in 2011, he made the fourth round; he went on to win the Maldives International last year, beating then-world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli in the final. The rise since then has been meteoric: three successive semifinal performances at the Bahrain International, Macau GP Gold, and Tata International; followed by a quarterfinal at the Syed Modi GPG in late 2012.

This year has been even better: a first-round defeat of fourth seed Jan O Jorgensen at the India Open; a third round at the Malaysia GPG, and victory at the Thailand Open GPG. The strong showing over the last two years has seen his ranking rise to a career-best 41.

Gopi, who Srikanth considers his role model, was all praise for the youngster when he won the Thailand Open. “It’s a very impressive win,” Gopi said. “I didn’t expect it to be so easy for him. His biggest assets are his creative game and deception. He has self-belief and is not afraid. This is the kind of result you’d want from a 19 or 20-year-old… in that sense, it was not a surprise. Overall, the last few months have been good for Indian badminton.”
    Last edited by scorpion1; 07-02-2013 at 01:45 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indian Badminton League is a great thing to happen: Srikanth

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/othe...th_767990.html

EXCERPTS:

"IBL is a great thing to happen. Badminton has been on the rise. You learn a lot when you have senior players in your team. My team I have (Mathias) Boe and (Markis) Kido, so there is lot to learn from them. The way to start and end, the way to behave yourself on court, mental strength," Srikanth told reporters on Saturday night.

"Actually we thought we could get the doubles, so that was the first drawback for us. Then Guru`s match with Ajay, those two matches were crucial for us. It was some kind of focus (issue) in the second game. He (R M V Gurusaidutt) was actually leading 17-14 in the second," he said.

"Throughout the tournament I had been performing well, so I just wanted my team to a get good start and got it," he said

On his net game, the 20-year-old said, "He(Tanongsak) was a bit stronger than me at the nets I guess. I just wanted to attack him from the backhand side."

The Guntur-born player said winning the Thailand Open in June helped him gain confidence.

"It gave me a lot of confidence. It improved my mental strength and I gained a lot from that," said Srikanth.

He further said he will be participating in the Japan Super Series next.

Good Luck srikanth..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he has beaten Sho Sasaki at the JO SS and since he has only 9 tournaments ranking points, his ranking may well shoot up to top 30 which is good because it means he will qualify for the main draw automatically without having to play the qualifiers (waste of energy)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry for Srikanth in the india GPG
    the painful costs a player must pay for becoming an excellent one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was leading 19-12 in the second set. Lost straight 9 points and lost the match. Bad.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

KS is ranked 30 at present. But he should move up a couple of places at least, in the next release of rankings when his performance at the India Open GPG is factored in.

He needs to stop trying to brute-force his way through every game and pay more attention on the many pillars of successful singles play: variation of pace, injection of speed, construction of the point. And patience.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also,he needs to improve his forehand defense. Interestingly, saina has the same problem. the opponents always try to return the shuttle to their forehand area to obtain advantages, very unusualt tactics. i can't help thinking it's gopi's mistakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forehand defence becomes a problem when a player is too focussed on covering his backhand clears and smashes which he thinks are weak points. As Srikanth grows in confidence and maturity he probably will try less to bruteforce and play superfast and be patient in rallies. He is a very good singles player. needs a little more more maturity perhaps. He is young.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very very unfortunate. I feel really for him. Having a huge lead with just two points to grab an incredible victory, he let the opponent to scroll back to lose the game as well as the match eventually. It should be a huge pain to a player. I can see that disappointment of losing the 2nd game in the 3rd game itself. He literally guven up without trying harder. His power is exceptionally well when compared to his opponent. Xue song changed his tactics by playing flat fast game which paved the way for him. Hope srikanth won't take this loss personally and improve further in his mental strength.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the latest BWF rankings, he is in no.20 for the first time. I don't have any doubt in his improvement. I hope he will improve further. I read somewhere about kashyap's dislocated left shoulder and consequent decreased form . Really pity one. Hope he will come back to normal form. At the same time, rise of youngsters such as prannoy, k.srikanth etc will definitely be boost to badminton as a whole in india.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

HS Prannoy beat K Srikanth in the quarterfinals of the Manorama Indian Open National Ranking Tournament - 18-21, 21-13, 21-16.

This is not very good news for the Indian National Champion on the eve of the European Circuit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kidambi Srikanth rises to World No. 13

India's Kidambi Srikanth rose five places to a career-best No. 13 in the men's singles rankings released by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) on Thursday.

Though the 21-year-old lost two matches in the recently concluded Thomas Cup, his victory over higher ranked German Marc Zwiebler gave him a solid chunk of points.

Source - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/35721323.cms

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Srikanth falls unconscious and recovers.

He fell unconscious in the washroom of the gopichand academy , hyderabad. Fellow players who saw him lying on the floor motionless drew the attention of coaches and rushed to jubilee hills hospital and he was kept in ICU for few days and now was shifted to general ward.

After reading this news, I was shocked and is sharing immediately. I could not give the links etc now since I am posting this from mobile while riding. Sorry guys.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is very sad news indeed. I hope it is not a critical or life-changing complication, and young Srikanth recovers completely and as quickly as possible.

Thanks, scorpion1, for sharing this information.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Srikanth falls unconscious, recovers

J. R. Shridharan
    VIJAYAWADA, July 3, 2014

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-...cle6171296.ece

Excerpts:

The badminton fraternity heaved a sigh of relief when K. Srikanth, Indias ace shuttler, who was in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of a corporate hospital was moved to the general ward after a brief illness on Wednesday.

...He played the Japan and Indonesia Open tournaments recently and doctors felt he might have contracted some viral infection during his stay in the eastern countries, said K.V.S. Krishna, Srikanths father, from Hyderabad.

...Srikanth is Indias biggest medal hope in the Commonwealth Games at Glasgow (Scotland) and Asian Games at Incheon (Korea).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast