K. Srikanth क्. स्रिकनथ्

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Dec 1, 2012.

1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I am delightful in opening a thread to this rising star with huge potential. :)
    Why not a separate thread to this youngster.?
    Here comes a new thread to him !!!! :) He is a fast rising youngster both in techniques and ranking.

Year of birth - 1992(anybody help me in this regard)
    Current Ranking - 109

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Though he lost in the semifinals against a higher ranked opponent in Macau Grand prix gold, he won many hearts with his wonderful play in this tournament. Won against many higher ranked opponents.

This learning experience will be a moral boost to his upcoming tournaments. I wish him all the very best for his future ahead. :)

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Badzine has praised his excellent performance in macau open.:)

Here is the link

"http://www.badzine.net/news/macau-gpg-qf-–-indian-and-chinese-youngsters-shine/22473/"

EXCERPTS:

"The young Indian (newcomer Kidambi Srikanth) who was born in Guntur but now training under Gopichand in Hyderabad had clinched his first title on the senior tour last march in the Maldives – beating on the way players like Anup Sridar, Jan Frohlich and Zulfaldi Zulkiffli, but isn’t yet known outside the Sub asian continent. In Macau, his run was just as impressive: a straight games win over 9[SUP]th[/SUP] seed Yunus from Indonesia, then in the third round he beat Malaysia veteran Wong Choong Hann in three games before nailing Hong Kong’s young star Wei Nan, 16-21, 21-19, 21-19." :)

#3 scorpion1, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Any picture of him?

5. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    clip_image001.jpg

Here is the picture of K.Srikanth.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Nice to see him jumping 28 places in ranking for his recent performance in macau china open GPG :) . He is now 81 in BWF ranking chart :). I hope that he will further improve his skills and improve his ranking and assist his mates soon in coming tournaments.:)

All the very best Srikanth :)

7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Amazing run by this youngster in the Tata Open India International challenge 2012 :).. His run to grab second title of his career came to an end by another promising indian youngster Sai Praneeth who stopped in the gruelling semifinal encounter which laster for 3 games. And in the end , Sai overcame Srikanth at the end.. But the way Srikanth player really amazed many.. Wonderful man.:)

This semifinal reach will lead to the improvement in his ranking from 82 (current ranking) to 67 or 68(am not sure) for his 2800 points which he will receive... Congrats man..:)

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    This young talent has been improving day by day:). He has proved that he is not short of huge talent by beating Ajay Jayaram who is not an easy meat to beat:). I think after seeing the result which he won it in straight games against Ajay who even go for three games to Lee Chong Wei as well. I dont know what has happened to Ajay :(. But this does not take any credit out of this young lad. I think he has a big chance of winning this GPG , his first ever title to his purse..:)

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    K.Srikanth is next to be watched in the coming New Year 2013. He is very hungry to beat top players. :)

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/12/21/k-srikanth-indias-bright-young-prospect/?ref=most-viewed

EXCERPTS:

He comes across as too easygoing to be a top-class badminton player. But looks can be deceptive, and if his early record is anything to go by, K Srikanth might well be the player to watch in 2013.

The son of a landlord in Guntur, and the brother of another international K Nandagopal, Srikanth’s rise has been impressive. His defeat of world No. 31 Ajay Jayaram in the third round of the Syed Modi Memorial at Lucknow was further affirmation of the fact that the 19-year-old is one of the most exciting men’s singles prospects in India.
    The year couldn’t have been better for the lanky lad. After winning four qualifying round matches at the Austrian International, he fell in a terrific encounter, 24-22 in the third game, to Dutch veteran Dicky Palyama.

In June came his first international title – the Maldives International – in which he beat players like Jan Frohlich (Cze), Anup Sridhar (Ind) and World Junior Champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli (Mas). The third game of his match against Sridhar was won by the unusual margin of 21-3; against Zulkiffli, who is considered Malaysia’s brightest hope, he lost the first game but bounced back to win the remaining two comfortably, 13-21 21-11 21-16.

“I always have a problem against Srikanth,” Anup was to say later. “One of his best weapons is his return of serve – the way he attacks your low serve and puts you under pressure.”

Semi-final placings followed at the Bahrain International, and – more significantly – at the Macau Open GP Gold in November. In the first round of the Macau Open, he beat one player who has been a nemesis for Indian players in general – Yunus Alamsyah of Indonesia – whom he beat in straight games. After getting past Alamsyah, he scalped Kim Ki Min (Kor), Wong Choon Hann (Mas) and Nan Wei (HK).

His 2012 performances were essentially a continuation of the promise he showed the previous year, in which he reached the quarter-finals of the Asian Junior Championships and the fourth round (pre-quarterfinals) of the World Junior Championships.

Srikanth is part of the new crop in Indian badminton that includes Sai Praneeth, Sameer Verma, HS Prannoy and Guru Sai Dutt, but his performances thus far mark him out as exceptional even in this bunch. However, the Superseries circuit won’t be easy as his compatriots have found out, and Srikanth needs much more than just raw talent to succeed. He will need greater heft in his attack to become a threat at the senior level. For now, however, the signs are encouraging.

Yes Srikanth.. You have all the potential to come in the top of badminton arena.:)

10. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    It is pity that i opened this thread long time ago and i am the only one keep on talking about this lad here. But hereafter, it would be different in this thread.

I congratulate this guy for his wonderful and excellent display against local favourite veteran Boonsak Ponsanna with straight games victory. This will give him excellent boost to his mental strength in the coming tournaments including Indonesian open 2013 where he will be going to meet many players of india starting from qualifiers till the second round(if everything goes right). I have full belief in his quality of displaying smashes and defense. He is just 19. Still lots more to come in his career. I wish him all the very best..:)

11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]K Srikanth wins Thailand Open Grand Prix[/h]http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...land-Open-Grand-Prix/articleshow/20504079.cms

EXCERPTS:

BANGKOK: K Srikanth became the latest badminton sensation to emerge from India as he lifted his maiden men's singles trophy with a stunning straight-game triumph over top-seeded local favourite Boonsak Ponsana at the Thailand Open Grand Prix Gold on Sunday.

The 20-year-old from Guntur, Andhra Pradesh beat world number eight Ponsana 21-16, 21-12 in a 34-minute match to script the biggest win of his still nascent career.

"When I went into the court, I was pretty okay. I was not thinking anything. He was the local guy and the court was also with him. I knew I had a 50-50 chance even though he is world number eight," the excited youngster said.

"I just wanted to give my 100 per cent. I was focusing on one point at a time and I knew it was all about who plays well on that particular day," he said.

The 13th-seeded Indian matched his fancied rival in all departments of the game in what turned out to be a lop-sided contest.

"The win has not sunk in. I am still pretty excited. I spoke to my parents and they are also very happy. I will be travelling to Hyderabad tonight and probably fly back to Singapore next Friday or Saturday," he said.

The first game went neck and neck before Srikanth broke free to notch up six consecutive points to win the game and wrest the initiative.

"The first game was tough. I was leading by 2-3 points from the start but in the end he was like 15-16 but he made some unforced errors as I played some attacking badminton. It worked as I got four points on the trot and that made all the difference," he said.

The second game was a completely one-sided affair with Srikanth scoring at ease. The Indian sent down nine smashes against his rival's three to stamp his authority in the match.

Ponsana had a two-point lead to start with but Srikanth made amends quite quickly to reel off eight successive points and seal the game and the match in his favour.

"In the second game I played pretty well, I was leading 11-5 and continued in the same vein. I didn't relax and stayed focused. I could see that although the crowd was supporting him, he looked tense and turned on the pressure on him," he said.

Srikanth had previously reached the quarterfinals of the Asian Junior Championships and entered the pre-quarterfinals of the World Junior Championships in 2011.

Indian male shuttlers have been making quite a mark internationally of late. P Kashyap had won the Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold last year.

#11 scorpion1, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    It seems K.Srikanth is not playing Indonesian Open 2013. He leaves to his home town and return back to Singapore to participate in that.. All the very best ..

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
  14. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Well done.... Hopefully India will rise to challenge china to make badminton more interesting

15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]‘The real deal’[/h]
    http://www.punemirror.in/article/7/201306102013061009574180930bbf6d2/%E2%80%98The-real-deal%E2%80%99.html

EXCERPTS:

Brothers Shrikanth and Nandagopal win in Thailand and Maldives respectively; earn praise from Gopi

K Nandagopal’s career was rising steadily on the badminton circuit. His coaches in Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, and at the Pullela Gopi Chand academy were in agreement that he had the natural talent and skills to go the distance; they saw great things in his future.

That was till the day they saw his brother Srikanth play. The racquet sport hadn’t really appealed to Srikanth but seeing his brother do so well, the younger sibling decided to follow suit. The results weren’t so great and the decision to quit was always hovering inside his head.

[TABLE="width: 200, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

• A file picture of K Srikanth, who won the Thailand Open yesterday. (left) K Nandagopal won the mixed doubles in Maldives

But on his parents and brother’s insistence he decided to try out for Gopi’s academy and there the master coach saw a spark in this farmer’s son. Five years later it’s only poetic that on the very same day both the brothers fly back to Hyderabad from different points of the world with a title in tow.

Though Srikanth’s title has more grandeur than Nandagopal’s achievement, the two brothers finally came of age yesterday.

Srikanth, one of the most promising stars of the Gopi Chand academy, yesterday overpowered top-seeded local favourite Boonsak Ponsana 21-16 21-12 in the final of the Thailand Open to win his maiden Grand Prix Gold title.

Across countries Nandagopal and his mixed doubles partner K Maneesha clinched the Maldives Badminton Challenge title with a straight-game victory over Dae Sung Kim and Bo Kyung Oh of Korea in Male.

The pair from Andhra Pradesh registered a 21-16 23-21 win in 40 minutes. Srikanth took six minutes less to dispense off the world number eight. The 20-year-old, who once aspired to be a doubles player, brings a different approach to the single’s circuit.

He plays a fast game. His shots are more flat and quicker, an ability player’s develop in the doubles game. Yet he is deceptive near the net, a talent that was infused in his half a decade at the Gopi Chand academy.

It was just a matter of time

“The signs were there and it was just a matter of time. Srikanth has been consistently rising on the circuit. He has that spark in him.

When I first saw him I felt he was very unorthodox and that he needed a lot of fine tuning in order to succeed. There was also the figuring out part in which discipline he was much suited for,” national coach Gopi Chand told Mirror.

His wins in the junior circuit confirmed to Gopi that he was born for the singles circuit and his victory at the Maldives International last year was an early sign of his prowess at the top level. Srikanth initially made headlines when he claimed his first top-ten player.

At the Indian Open in April, Jan O Jorgensen of Denmark became Srikanth’s first big scalp. This week in Bangkok he has been in supreme form. Annexing the title apart he went through a line of top shuttlers without even dropping a single game in any of his six matches.

Along the way he took out the likes of Soo Hwang Jong of Korea, Jong’s compatriot and former India Open winner Son Wan Ho and finally the home star Ponsana. “It’s a great achievement because this shows that the men’s players in India are finally getting it together.

It’s been a while since a men’s player won a major singles title abroad and Srikanth has shown that he is the real deal,” Gopi said. “In fact, Nandagopal’s win is no less.

They faced teams from Indonesia, Korea and Chinese Taipei to win that mixed doubles title and that is no less achievement especially when he and Maneesha have just started playing together,” he added.

Srikanth has a very soft spoken demeanour and even after winning his title the excitement was missing from his voice. He was already thinking about the next tournament in Singapore.

In fact, he was more pleased to hear that his older brother had won. Even though a step ahead of his older brother, Srikanth still feels he’s following footsteps.
    [HR][/HR]
    Men’s players in India are finally getting it together. It’s been a while since a men’s player won a major singles title abroad and Srikanth has shown that he is the real deal

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
  17. fathonezic

fathonezic Regular Member

Consultant
    very good talent.... his smash is powerful...
    better than other IND juniors like praneeth and prannoy...
    more deadly...

18. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Congratulations to Srikanth! Awesome victory from the young talent...

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    K.Srikanth jumped 17 places from 61 to 44 in the newly released ranking list.
    I am amazed with this lad's improvement. I am really confident that he will move ahead further after Singapore Open 2013. He will reach top 10 soon i think..

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Srikanth aims for Superseries win after Grand Prix success

EXCERPTS:

[​IMG]

K Srikanth might be revelling in the glow of his recent Grand Prix Gold win, but the youngster believes he still has a long way to go. The 20-year-old became the first Indian men’s singles player to win a GP Gold tournament outside India when he won the Thailand Open earlier this month.

I have to work on my overall game,” Srikanth says. “I want to win Superseries tournaments, but I have to improve for that.

Srikanth’s rise through the ranks is the quickest among his contemporaries. While most Indian players take their time in transitioning from the junior to the senior level, the Guntur lad made an effortless transition, and in his young senior career has already claimed some big scalps. With wins over the likes of Yunus Alamsyah (Indonesia), his Indian seniors Anup Sridhar and Ajay Jayaram, Suppanyu Avihingsanon (Thailand), Jan O Jorgensen (Denmark) and Boonsak Ponsana (Thailand), Srikanth has shown he isn’t intimidated by big names. Ponsana and Jorgensen are top-ten players, and his victories over them are indicative of a player confident of his own abilities.

In the Thailand Open final, Ponsana seemed rattled by Srikanth’s attacking game, making several uncharacteristic errors on even his basic strokes. The Indian seemed unafraid to go for his shots, scoring off several jump smashes, and left the veteran Thai befuddled. Of his Thailand Open win, Srikanth says: “Right through the tournament I just wanted to play my own game. I’m an attacking player, and I wanted to stick to my strengths. Before the final I was nervous. Ponsana made a few mistakes; I think he was under pressure because he was playing in front of his home crowd.

Srikanth took up the sport as a nine-year-old in his hometown Guntur. His elder brother Nandagopal played at the local stadium, and Srikanth picked up the game by watching him. “We didn’t have a good coach,” says Srikanth. “There was somebody who taught us the basics, but it wasn’t a high level. It was only after I shifted to Gopi Sir’s academy in 2009 that I improved.”

At the World Juniors in 2011, he made the fourth round; he went on to win the Maldives International last year, beating then-world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli in the final. The rise since then has been meteoric: three successive semifinal performances at the Bahrain International, Macau GP Gold, and Tata International; followed by a quarterfinal at the Syed Modi GPG in late 2012.

This year has been even better: a first-round defeat of fourth seed Jan O Jorgensen at the India Open; a third round at the Malaysia GPG, and victory at the Thailand Open GPG. The strong showing over the last two years has seen his ranking rise to a career-best 41.

Gopi, who Srikanth considers his role model, was all praise for the youngster when he won the Thailand Open. “It’s a very impressive win,” Gopi said. “I didn’t expect it to be so easy for him. His biggest assets are his creative game and deception. He has self-belief and is not afraid. This is the kind of result you’d want from a 19 or 20-year-old… in that sense, it was not a surprise. Overall, the last few months have been good for Indian badminton.”

#20 scorpion1, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013