The importance of team shirts

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by victorgabriel1, Dec 2, 2012.

1. victorgabriel1

victorgabriel1 Regular Member

Hey, I was player in a tournament last week with my team-mates, and it was raised to me that the other team looked quite impressive with their team t-shirts :cool:. My team does not have one, and I must say it seems rather expansive to get a uniform! SO what do you guys think: team t-shirts, a must; or powder in the eyes

2. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    If your team under tight budget, better investing on something directly influence your skills and techniques. Who knows after winning a competition or two, your team might get sponsored, and end up with sponsored team t-shirts.;)

3. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Why it is important...........

Wearing team t-shirt ------> Feels unite as a team --------> Boost team moral and motivation ----------> Increase player's level of confidence ----------> Since level of confidence is high, player can play even better --------> Improve chance of team to win ----------> If win, can using winning money to buy another team t-shirt --------> Now have 2 team t-shirt:D

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

If you can afford it, then great. It can be a team-building measure. But don't give up precious resources if they are needed elsewhere ( eg. gym rentals, coaching, shuttles ...).It can be a good lesson not to let trifles, like clothes, be intimidating to your players. A few years ago I very much enjoyed watching a year-end local championship. There was one new teen who did not belong to any club and had never played a tournament before. He had played for fun with his buddies after school all year, and watched youtube videos. He came out in a plain cotton shirt and basketball sneakers and beat all the "regulars" with their expensive clothes rackets and bags. What a lesson! (Of course now he's sponsored and probably has the snazziest kit of all!)

5. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

In addition to the benefits mentioned above:
    1) Bulk buying should give your members a discount, sometimes on other items too.
    2) It's good advertising for your club (especially when you're winning).

A word of warning though. The team shirts need to be accessible/agreeable to the majority of the club. Having a 'special shirt for the 1st team only' or a shirt so expensive that only a few buy one can have the counter effect. If one group have the shirts and the others don't, this can lead to problems later.

6. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Think of the tactical implications as well. If you have two players in red and yellow vs two players in blue and blue, it is alot easier with peripheral vision to single out a player with non matching team strip, and when you are "glancing" before your shot at your opposition's position you can see if your target player (should you be playing to pressurise one player) is in a certain place.

It's a lot harder to see someone if you have another person in the same colour strip on the other side of the court.
    However, it doesn't override it completely because you obviously can have varying size / skin colour, which is also a factor.
    It can also add a psychological advantage by putting a visual pressure on your opponents (up to a point where team kit is mandatory)

7. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Or, it would give the opponents extra incentive to beat you to a pulp.