User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a shot they don't normally teach because it's a shot you're supposed to avoid using.
    Sure it's possible to win the occasional point using that shot, but generally, it shows your opponent that you're slow to your deep forehand side, making it a possible weakness they can exploit.

Practice the shot if you want, but it's not a shot you want to play at at competitive level, unless you have a ridiculously strong arm or insane defence.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kinda disagree there meatball - it's just so prevalent at top level, and I don't think you need a massively strong arm for the clear variant

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Competitive level is not the same as the top level. Players at the top level have every shot in their bag. That does not hold for mere competitive players. I do agree that is one shot one needs to have to be able to play. Just like a backhand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is fore-hand back court defensive shot. You can clear (defensive clear), drop (pull drop), and drive (back court drive). This is something that a single player must trained for; it is used very frequently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, guys. I am glad that my post got your attention with many useful replies.

And I agree with captaincook, like I wrote in my earlier posts, I still think it is a technique that single players should train in order to play. It cannot be played naturally. (I tried it many times but did not succeed).

I just search in the Internet with captaincook's keyword " fore-hand back court defensive shot" and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZtyp-Sqy30

What the lady teaches in the clip is very close to the technique I want to learn except that the shuttle is low when it is hit. ( I would like to learn the technique when the shuttle is as high as the player's head). But it is very good to learn "fore-hand back court defensive shot" and I will try to apply it when the shuttle is higher to see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincook View Post
    This is fore-hand back court defensive shot. You can clear (defensive clear), drop (pull drop), and drive (back court drive). This is something that a single player must trained for; it is used very frequently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    don't know what you mean? these are just normal shots with the player being a bit too late to get behind the shuttle. pretty standard shot for intermediate play (and better)....
    I agree with this too. It is a technique as it is frequently used. It's not a desperate shot as some have said. It's just choosing to take it late rather than rushing to get under the shuttle and making a rushed shot or if it has gone too far behind you. It has no particular name i dont think, because you can do any shot (late drop/late drive/late clear) from this technique, you just do it late/at a lower height. It is essentially a shot to take shuttles that have gone past you. (otherwise you should intercept it or move your feet). It is most effective to use this against an attacking clear from a serve return.

Rudky - The shot is taken from your front right and hit across your body. your feet face diagonally into the corner, you face 90 degrees to the side of the court. I find it resembling a very fast arm wrestle from a losing position and suddenly turning into superman and winning. just pronation as some have said. elbow at just not quite 90 degree bent, twist shoulder from losing arm wrestle position to winning arm wrestle position, twist forearm from palm face up to palm face down. you should already be heading back to base as soon as the shuttle has left your racket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you finally got your answer.
    Captaincook is right.
    Those who had gone through proper training will know this.
    It has forehand back court attack and defensive shot.
    The foot work is different also.
    Those who never have proper training will not understand this. They know nut about badminton! They may alway think they are good, they can play this and that.

Quote Originally Posted by rudky View Post
    Thank you, guys. I am glad that my post got your attention with many useful replies.

And I agree with captaincook, like I wrote in my earlier posts, I still think it is a technique that single players should train in order to play. It cannot be played naturally. (I tried it many times but did not succeed).

I just search in the Internet with captaincook's keyword " fore-hand back court defensive shot" and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZtyp-Sqy30

What the lady teaches in the clip is very close to the technique I want to learn except that the shuttle is low when it is hit. ( I would like to learn the technique when the shuttle is as high as the player's head). But it is very good to learn "fore-hand back court defensive shot" and I will try to apply it when the shuttle is higher to see if it works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks BaggedCat and sim2peter.

BaggedCat, your instruction is very helpful. I'll try to apply it tonight and get back to you soon if I have any other confusion.

Thanks a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaggedCat View Post
    I agree with this too. It is a technique as it is frequently used. It's not a desperate shot as some have said. It's just choosing to take it late rather than rushing to get under the shuttle and making a rushed shot or if it has gone too far behind you. It has no particular name i dont think, because you can do any shot (late drop/late drive/late clear) from this technique, you just do it late/at a lower height. It is essentially a shot to take shuttles that have gone past you. (otherwise you should intercept it or move your feet). It is most effective to use this against an attacking clear from a serve return.

Rudky - The shot is taken from your front right and hit across your body. your feet face diagonally into the corner, you face 90 degrees to the side of the court. I find it resembling a very fast arm wrestle from a losing position and suddenly turning into superman and winning. just pronation as some have said. elbow at just not quite 90 degree bent, twist shoulder from losing arm wrestle position to winning arm wrestle position, twist forearm from palm face up to palm face down. you should already be heading back to base as soon as the shuttle has left your racket.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My coach called it a 'get out of jail free' shot. his instructions were:
    1. racket foot toe pointing in the direction of the corner. other foot at right angles to the racket foot. a little bit of lunge (remember, you are late for the shot)
    2. the racket arm starts with the elbow thrust out towards the net, arm behind the shuttle, wrist loose with the racket dropping to be flat with the wrist
    3. swing the elbow back and the arm forward. keep your grip loose and snap/tighten just at time of impact. this can change the power you use and drive clear or drop.
    he felt it was best to drop if you are out of position as it is easier to move forward than back for beginner players like me.
    HTH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u'll master the shot if u could move faster with stronger wrist & forearm... with this level, your body position is similar to do any shots that u like even cross court smash
    Last edited by zamrioo2; 12-04-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i would say this is a forehand pulled shot.

It can be a drop shot, net shot, clear, drive or any other shot but basically it is a pulled-shot.

Here's a video from BWF of a forehand pulled dropshot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFLV6zKtI4s

y
    ou can also find the mirror stroke for this which is the backhand pulled dropshot in the youtube.
    Last edited by neavalmi0421; 12-04-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: add comments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iT is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by neavalmi0421 View Post
    i would say this is a forehand pulled shot.

It can be a drop shot, net shot, clear, drive or any other shot but basically it is a pulled-shot.

Here's a video from BWF of a forehand pulled dropshot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFLV6zKtI4s

y
    ou can also find the mirror stroke for this which is the backhand pulled dropshot in the youtube.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks aban. I tried it today and it works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm glad that i can be of help. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rudky View Post
    iT is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most people get this shot wrong by panicing and snatching at the shot. you have to keep relaxed and use your shoulder, arm and elbow as the controllers in the shot and allow the wrist to speed up at the end for the power and deception. move directly to the shuttle with your feet, dont go backwards then sideways but directly to it. another important thing to consider is u must move ur racket first (as with almost every shot) this will stop u over runnin and crampin urself up which will limit power and variety of shot. try to strike the shuttle and land with ur foot at the same time. this keeps fluidity in the shot and a more consistent hittin point.

so in summary:-

1/ rackets moves first (prepare racket to give yourself time)
    2/ move towards the shuttle directly and not "around" it.
    3/ keep your shoulder and arm and elbow steady and allow a natural swing.(this can be swung quite slow depending on how out of position you are)
    4/ wrist power at the end and direction for what shot you wish to play.
    5/ strike the shuttle before recovering.
    6/ recovery is key, come back into court quite open if playing the downwards one to make the court seem smaller to your opponent. try not to cross your feet cos easier for ur opponent to send u the wrong way again.

i hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember to point your foot in the direction of where you are going, otherwise you'll end up like Lee Chong Wei did during the Thomas Cup...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to contribute some tips that worked for me :-

1) Always look at the shuttle
    2) Get your racket up and ready early
    3) Hit the shuttle exactly at the point the right leg lands on the ground to get the most power
    4) For best results be behind or parallel to the shuttle when hitting it.
    5) When taking the shuttle very late and low, hit as hard as you can because your opponent will be waiting at the net.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast