Stiffness Vs. Tension

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by wning, Dec 4, 2012.

1. wning

wning Regular Member

Looking for a 2nd racket for my recovery from my golfer's elbow and shoulder pain. Currently using a AT-700 (1st gen.) BG-65 22lbs. need advise on which direction to go....interm. double/mix player, has played with rackets @ 25lbs.

1) Get a less stiff racket like the AT-900P/MX 60 @23lbs., maybe less effort to get the bird to the base line.

2) lowing the tension to 20lbs. with a stiffer racket like AT-900T/Li-Ning N55 II..by lowering the tension, less effort needed to swing and with the stiffer shaft...will not lose control.

Hope to hear your advise on this, especially those who had similar injury as me.:(

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Out of curiosity whats the bp of your at700? If you have shoulder problems, you have to go lower bp.

3. wning

wning Regular Member

I am guessing 300-305.. you could be right, one of the reason I am looking at a less head heavy racket....

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I had to stop for the best part of 7 years due to a shoulder injury. So I know how you feel.

When I came back to playing again about 18months ago now, I found that I could no longer use my favourite Ti-10 without my shoulder hurting again. So I switched to the even balanced arc saber series and now my shoulder doesn't hurt so much.

In terms of tension I've reduced my tension by about 1-2 lbs but I love stiff racquets so will be sticking to them. I find that string bed stiffness has more weighting than racquet stiffness when it comes to alleviating shoulder pain - although there's nothing stopping you from reducing both.

5. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I had similar issues with my VT80.

It was elbow pains to start off. I used a sport bandage that wraps around the forearm. That helped alot and let me continue playing. After a few weeks, I didn't need it anymore. Then I got shoulder pains. So I began a warm up routine for my shoulders. Just rotating the shoulders by swinging my arm like a windmill (forwards and backwards). After a few weeks...no more problem.

So basically...I just worked through the pain.

6. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

it isn't the tension. The racket might have an effect, but my suggestion is have someone qualified to look at your form. Then work on strengthening your shoulder. Go buy some resistance bands and start doing exercises that will strengthen your rotator cuff. Make sure you warm up gradually. Try to avoid walking onto the court and start doing line to line high clears with your partner the first thing in warmup and the pain should subside.

That was my experience in the past 4 months since restarting badminton from a very long hiatus. I had to stop because of my shoulder pain. Even after I started again the shoulder was hurting after that first day, and then I started a diet of lessons and workout. Been able to increase the string tension w/o suffering any physical discomfort.

7. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Not only racquet stiffness and string tension, string type has a lot to do with it too. Don't know what string you prefer but a softer choice may go a long way.

Cheers

Ted

8. wning

wning Regular Member

I had my first shoulder injury over 10 years ago and did not play again till two months ago...hum! maybe I should try my other rackets that are in my bag.

9. wning

wning Regular Member

got some R.bands and starting to use them and warm up like no tomorrow now (15-20mins.) Hope it will help

10. wning

wning Regular Member

I am using BG-65 and BG-80

11. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Coming from my personal experience of having both tennis elbow and shoulder issue, luckily my tennis elbow is fully recovered, but shoulder issue is still apparent; I totally understand your frustrations.

I too was played with similar racquet and string choice of yours (900P, BG80 @25x27lb with 20% prestretch), as the shoulder issue starts, these are what I did in my attempted to help the situation. But before you jump and get a new racquet, ask yourself what’s in your game is more important to you?

Do you prefer to have quicker response on racquet speed with directness or rather more feel and control in mid/front court shots or simple power; as to me this makes a big separation of your future racquet and string/tension choices. I’ve been there and learned it the hard way. If you prefer the directness and quick exchange ability in a racquet, then a relatively stiff racquet with lower tension would likely meet your requirement. A softer string bed to give the kick on power but you may lose some shuttle control in delicate shots.

I personal prefer the feel and control; very much enjoy the feel of a tight string bed, so my setup is gear differently. I currently use a head balance to light racquet TI10 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gen, but use a very soft string (BG66UM) which give a good absorption of shock, that allow me to keep the tension respectively high for net shot control and rely on the solver shaft to generate power for me. In occasions, a solver shaft does have lag in heated rally exchange which I certain missed from a stiff racquet. I have also enlarged the grip size with extra cushion which also helps a lot. In general, head light racquet and flexier shaft also induce less torque which takes less tension and effort from the join/tendon/muscle to produce a swing.

At the end, it is that much of trial and error process until it works for you, I personal have tried a wide range of racquets with different flex to string choices of half a dozen and tension range from 20lb to 25lb until I settled with my current choices. Hope this will give you some insight and help you find your sweet spot quicker.

Hope it help, cheers

Ted

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

How can you even play with BG65 @ 22lbs??? :p

But I would definitely look at a less headheavy rather than less stiff or strings ...

In the mean time checking out Ted's advice, that just popped up out of nowhere, is not a bad idea [​IMG].

#12 demolidor, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  13. wning

wning Regular Member

Thanks Ted, I prefer to have more control especially in a fast exchange and drive it down the line. At the same time, because of my injury. I can not smash hard and clear of long way with my back hand unless I swing harder than I like to. AT-700 does help me in these cases when I need more power though it's hard on my arm...by switching to a lighter head and more flexier racket, will I lose the ability to clear a backhand from baseline to baseline like I can do right now (with a bit of an effort)? Is the BG66UM as soft as BG-65? I am thinking of try a lighter headed racket first...

14. wning

wning Regular Member

22lbs.? too high???:(

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D No, is okay if you are playing with nylon shuttles. But maybe if you are changing to more headlight racket you can try the BG66UM ...

For me I received a racket with BG65 @ 26lbs once but was far too soft [for me].

16. wning

wning Regular Member

I used to play @25 lbs. with different racket:) down to 22lbs. now...hope it will help...now much feeling (sound) when hitting the bird.

17. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Less power seems to be the number one problem for me as well; it does took me a few months to get used to generate the same output as a head heavy racquet with something flexier and lighter. Although there is not match of raw power behind mass; but in most cases, you will find your power is compensated by the speed you get from the lighter racquet.

A thinner gauge string like BG66UM give considerable more power given the same tension compare to their thicker counterpart. BG66UM is one of the solvest string I come across given the feel and performance in such a high level, but it does give up some durability. If you play mostly with feather, it is worth to try.

Ted

18. TimothyHsu

TimothyHsu Regular Member

high schooler
    I had shoulder pains too but I went to see a doctor about it and he said that it is due to some weak muscles of mine. So what I did was work out my shoulder muscles by doing shoulder shrugs while holding weights to build some muscles. After doing it for a while, my shoulder stopped hurting and was back to normal. Hope this may help!

19. wning

wning Regular Member

Will work harder on the shoulder exercise, only working on it once a week now..thanks

20. thunderracket

thunderracket Regular Member

None
    I'll go with tension,I don't have much trouble with the stiffness.I've used Flexible to Ultra stiff rackets and it didn't change much of my performance.The tension made a really great impact at how I play.I had trouble using lower tension because it has limited control.I then switched to 27lbs. and i feel freakin great!!