User Tag List

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the SSF this year is very unique. maybe almost half of the contender didn't play to after the prestigious title, but play just to after the USD$5,000fines-free state. and this is what BWF want to show the world? with such performance by players that tired, caring injuries and not ready to fight but have to, and BWF hoping they can attract more fans? why don't they invite players that are more ready, really want to give their best to take the title, and by so maybe we can have better show to attract new fans if that's their goal.

2. Likes yamsyams, London_Player liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    the silly thing is, as LD_rules mentioned there are about 6000 points and 3000 USD on offer if they finish last rather than withdrawn.
    similar as LCW, turn up play 1 match and pick up 3000 USD instead of -5000 USD!

so, bwf tried the carrots and stick both didn't work, what to do next?
    Yeah, as the saying goes, you can pull a horse to the water but you cannot make it drink. I feel BWF and all the member associations should sit down together and have an open-hearted talk to try their best to work out a win-win solution to the situation.

The BWF's main goal is to promote and popularise the sport worldwide and make money at the same time, the sponsors have their interests to protect and reap, but it is the players who have to play and risk injury and do the balancing act among BWF,the sponsors and their own obligations and careers - so all parties must be sincere and willing to work together to fulfil each other's needs and wants; instead of just hoping the problem will go away expecting the member associations and players concerned to be the party that do the accommodating and adjustment to the BWF 's and the sponsors' demands.

Ultimately,it is the players who have to perform for the spectators' and viewers' enjoyment and satisfaction. If the players affected are not happy,well and motivated to give of their best, then everyone including the BWF and sponsors lose in the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Japanese who declined the invitation, Sho Sasaki, the doubles players? They preferred or are obliged to play for their sponsors in the All-Japan National Championship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad's fan View Post
    i think the SSF this year is very unique. maybe almost half of the contender didn't play to after the prestigious title, but play just to after the USD$5,000fines-free state. and this is what BWF want to show the world? with such performance by players that tired, caring injuries and not ready to fight but have to, and BWF hoping they can attract more fans? why don't they invite players that are more ready, really want to give their best to take the title, and by so maybe we can have better show to attract new fans if that's their goal.
    I think BWF can be critized for lots of things. But blaming BWF for a select few players who currently have their priorities set outside the badminton-court rather than inside is a bit lame..

The fine could rightly be questioned.. But keep in mind some of the same people complaing about this now, are the same people who "demanded" that BWF should show power and not accept people (LD come's to mind) withdrawing late from some tournaments, dissapointing fans.

I also seriously doubt you get a BWF fine if you are being unable to compete due to injury, illness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fu Haifeng said, according to some expert studies, badminton is a more demanding sport than tennis, not to mention the prize money is world's apart.

The nature of the game and the rules indeed are different. Badminton today involves a lot of fast running, stretching, straining,lunging, and jumping, as well as twisting and turning. Play during competition has to be continual with a short two-minute break at point 11 mid-game interval. If the two opponents match each other point for point, that means a total of 21 points would have been played before the break at mid-game interval. No wonder,after a long,grueling rally, players are not only panting for breath but would often resort to delaying tactics such as requesting for floor-mopping,ask for towel break, shuttle change or just walking around the court.

Also it seems to me, badminton players are more prone to injury than tennis players. Doesn't this tell us something?

7. Likes tbgoh288, London_Player liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've to admit the tournament tight or overcrowded schedule problem only affects a few top players , esp those who play back-to-back tournaments and each time playing the full 4(until semi-final) to 5(the final) rounds as they seldom get eliminated in the early rounds. But these top players are the crowd pullers, the stars of the show, they are what the spectators and TV or media viewers pay money to see.

Personally, to be frank, I'd like to watch two SS plus one GPG tournaments every month but if a number of the top players are missing due to injury or something, then it takes away much of the fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    I also seriously doubt you get a BWF fine if you are being unable to compete due to injury, illness.
    but i read it somewhere that as long as a player can still walk, then he/she must show up. if not, they're still fined, even if they're injured/ill.
    but please feel free to correct if i understand this whole thing wrongly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but i read it somewhere that as long as a player can still walk, then he/she must show up. if not, they're still fined, even if they're injured/ill.
    I read this as well, it goes something along the lines off:

"Even if withdrawing injured, players must attend tournament for BWF Promotional activities and interviews"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Fu Haifeng said, according to some expert studies, badminton is a more demanding sport than tennis, not to mention the prize money is world's apart.

The nature of the game and the rules indeed are different. Badminton today involves a lot of fast running, stretching, straining,lunging, and jumping, as well as twisting and turning. Play during competition has to be continual with a short two-minute break at point 11 mid-game interval. If the two opponents match each other point for point, that means a total of 21 points would have been played before the break at mid-game interval. No wonder,after a long,grueling rally, players are not only panting for breath but would often resort to delaying tactics such as requesting for floor-mopping,ask for towel break, shuttle change or just walking around the court.

Also it seems to me, badminton players are more prone to injury than tennis players. Doesn't this tell us something?
    tell us that comparing LD and LCW to Nadal and Federer of tennis is really unfair?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    I read this as well, it goes something along the lines off:

"Even if withdrawing injured, players must attend tournament for BWF Promotional activities and interviews"
    But that is not really the same as being fined for injury.. That just states that you should help with promotional activities if you are injured and it allows you to do that.. Isn't that fair enough? Signing authographs, commenting matches and talking to fans, vip:s etc. should be possible even with a sprained ankle or thigh injury, or???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for the BWF USD5K penalty, my understanding is that a top 10 player, even if he is injured, as long as he can walk (with assistance?) , has to be present at the tournament venue to carry out promotional activities for BWF if he is to be exempted from paying the fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my humble opinion, BWF should realise that not only the Superseries tournaments are important , the players are valuable assets too. What is a grand spectacular contest without the best players competing due to injury or other reasons? Shouldn't BWF be taking good care of the players too in order that the Superseries can live up to its reputation and status deserving of its top billing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    that's the prize money for the 8th place i assume that should be what he is getting
    I thought if they withdraw & didnt finish the group matches, no prize $$$ but avoid the USD5,000 fine. Didnt check the BWF rules on that though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    I've to admit the tournament tight or overcrowded schedule problem only affects a few top players , esp those who play back-to-back tournaments and each time playing the full 4(until semi-final) to 5(the final) rounds as they seldom get eliminated in the early rounds. But these top players are the crowd pullers, the stars of the show, they are what the spectators and TV or media viewers pay money to see.

Personally, to be frank, I'd like to watch two SS plus one GPG tournaments every month but if a number of the top players are missing due to injury or something, then it takes away much of the fun.
    I am a fan of facts and statistics..

Lets look at LCWs schedule from OG leading up to SSF:

Japan Open = on-court-time = 2 hours 38 minutes
    Denmark Open = on-court-time = 3 hours 29 minutes
    Hong Kong Open = on-court-time = 3 hours 24 minutes

So all in all 9 and a half hours of hard competion-play on between 2012-08-05 and 2012-12-12.

Thats about 3 hours of matchplay / month on average..

Can we really argue that this schedule is unreasonably hard on the players?? I imagine that the volume training and preparation time put in are far more demanding than the actual tournament-schedule itself for the top pros?!?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is supposed to be the cream of super seriers tournaments but nothing near it. What a bloody joke. I am just waiting for AE next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CBA and their main sponsor,Li Ning, understand the star players are valuable assets, particularly Lin Dan. That's why CBA approved of Lin Dan's six-month leave post-Olympics, and allowed him to select or skip certain tournaments in the past, and are willing to accede to his request for a special training regime that suits his needs if he is to carry on playing in future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, this is also my understanding. The injured player must attend promotional activities organised by BWF. Sit down & sign autographs, answer interviews, present gifts/prizes also can I think. Saina was injured last SS Finals & had to pay the fine since she didnt turn up.

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast