Removing overgrip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Nevetstreblig, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Nevetstreblig

Nevetstreblig New Member

Student
    Hello one and all,

I recently removed my overgrip with the intention of playing with just the normal grip again. How do you remove the sticky residue from the adhesive side of the overgrip, which has been deposited on the normal grip?? I didn't forsee this issue before peeling it off *facepalm*

2. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Overgrip should not have any adhesive residue (except for the little bit at the start) ... you must have used a REPLACEMENT grip by mistake ... IF that is the case, it will be very difficult without damaging the original factory grip. Happened to me too many many moons ago.

In hindsight, the only thing that can be done is to slowly remove by hand - tedious and not 100% successful from my own bad experience :( .... SO should the worst case happen, please be mentally prepared to rip-off the original grip and changed it with a replacement grip.

3. JoshuaCYS

JoshuaCYS Regular Member

Even if you remove them by hand, the sticky feel remains on the grip. I don't think it would be nice playing with a sticky grip.

So, the best solution is replacing the original grip with a new replacement grip :)

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    in my experience, the reason that overgrip leave a sticky feeling on your original grip is because 1. you stretched it when you gripped it, 2. you sweat (which is normal), and 3. it's been there for a while. the sticky residue is not adhesive per se, but it is sticky. i've done the slowest degripping i've ever known and still it leaves something on the original grip mainly because the reasons i've mentioned above.

if you really want to just play with an original grip, then i suggest you buy a new replacement grip, those generally has more cushioning and gives you more grip than the original grip. but if you must play with the grip that came with the racket, you can always try removing the stuff with alcohol, and if that doesn't work, engine parts cleaner (father is a mechanic). but make sure you wear goggles. that stuff with burn your eyes out in a second if you're not careful!!!

5. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

I find the factory grip which comes with the racket is very lasting. Over grip is the way to go since it slightly cheaper, easier to wrap and more tidy. I try to refrain from using powder grip since it will ruin the overgrip faster. Another suggestion to minimise wetty palm is to wear a wrist guard. After games and training, I will clean the grip and let it to dry.