Why is Wise 2086 in Australia so expensive?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by markgab, Dec 10, 2012.

1. markgab

markgab Regular Member

So i was looking to get a Wise 2086...

Unfortunately after contacting Wise America they didn't want to send to Australia claiming they already have a distributor here and refereed me to tenniswarehouse Australia.
    Email also stated tenniswarehouse has comparable prices as the US...........

So i checked their prices and am shocked to see its selling for $750 without shipping.
    As a last resort i am thinking of using US forwarding services which would mean i'll have to pay is 10% of total value + shipping which is no less than $150. That said i would be able to save an estimate of $100.

Would anyone in badmintoncentral know ways of purchasing a Wise 2086 else where? instead of using forwarding services?

Thanks

2. raistian

raistian Regular Member

I too am shocked with the aus price. I guess it's the classic "because they can" excuse :mad:. I'm interested to hear others' experience too since I've been wanting the WISE but not willing to pay THAT much more compared to our geographically advantaged friends.

3. expert-stringer

expert-stringer Regular Member

Prices are always ridiculous here. Think it might partly be the import duty and taxes as although we have $1000 duty free, it gets pretty pricey for anything above that. I got my Wise from the UK for about $630 (AUD) with delivery.

4. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

I too wanted to get one, asked if they would ship from US, referred me to the NZ distributor: $1.5kNZD :(

5. markgab

markgab Regular Member

I believe it's all about profits!There's still no way to justify their price similarities "claimed by wise usa" as the price difference is $200-$250 when compared to euro/Asian countries.... Even UK has high tax rates and still cost $550 aud.Final outcome, I got mine from UK and saved at least $100.I could have gone with a cheaper alternative from HK and would have saved $200, but bought my machine from UK, hence bulk shipping.

6. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Not being rude to tenniswarehouseAustralia but IMO their goods are seriously overpriced.

Being in Oz I am afraid there are no economically better ways than using a mail forwarding service - unless you have a friend coming down under from the states:pr.

I believe even with extra $150 shipping it is worth the hassle to have it shipped from the states. I am thinking of upgrading my stringing machine and am planning to have it shipped from the states (darn, things are so expensive here)

7. expert-stringer

expert-stringer Regular Member

Not sure if Mark and myself both bought the Wise 2086 at the same place but there's the link if anyone needs it or may be of use to them,

Found it too much of a hassle to organise a freight forwarder from the US when the price is virtually the same anyway, so got it from the UK with direct shipping.

8. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I priced one from the UK, but then shipping to Australia would mean pricing similar to tenniswarehouse, so I think I will just buy it locally from them. Shipping is only $20 to Sydney from Melbourne, so if any problems - better than $100-200 to send back to the US.

9. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    how much is it from HK? what's the lowest price in States? what's the total prices arrive to Toronto, Can?

10. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Best way to order from Canada is directly from their web site or one of their distributors in the US. If you're lucky, you could get them to mark the package as a low value gift to avoid custom fees, but rarely do they agree to do so.

11. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    If you order from HKD it would be approximately $30-$40 than the US retail price. Mine at the time ended up being around $575 with the exchange rate. I had someone bring it back from HK since they were coming back for a wedding. If you're going to ship it from HK it will another additional $20 dollars.

Another Asian distributor was willing to mark down the price when shipping but I ended up getting it from HK.

This was all because the main US guy had no stock or else I would have got it when I was in California.

12. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

I spoke with Herb (before his passing) :( and he mentioned the pricing of the Wise 2086 went up to $650 for the adapter. The latest version of this adapter includes the ability to silence the beeping sound as well as reach extremely low tensions.

13. ninja801

ninja801 Regular Member