Reassembling a fixed clamp?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by nutty, Dec 10, 2012.

1. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    Hi guys,

So I've been looking long and hard (and hopefully not in the wrong places) but I haven't been able to find anything about putting back together a fixed clamp after completely disassembling it.

I took it apart in order to clean the gripper jaws and was just curious about how it worked so I took apart the entire thing and... I can't put it back together in working condition anymore.

I've taken two pictures: one of the clamp in its disassembled form and the other between the working clamp and the non-working one.

Here is the first:

Clamp 1.jpg

And here is the second:

Clamp 2.jpg

In the second picture, the right clamp is the non-working one. You can see that the bottom of the clamp head where the bar is protrudes when it's not supposed to. I haven't quite figured out what the problem is but I have spent a good hour on this and I am definitely not the handyman... As reference, I did not have any problems whatsoever with the clamp before my operation on it.

I don't need to fix this urgently as the second-hand machine that I got (an Exthree EX2600) came with 4 fixed clamps for badminton and the previous owner upgraded to the set which I just dismantled. However, these definitely seem to be the better ones so I would love to get this fixed. If not though, I guess I can revert to the other ones and make sure that I no longer mess with things that I am not comfortable with.

In any case, suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to tell you about the brand of the clamps as I didn't personally purchase them but looking at pictures on the Internet, they seem to be quite generic compared to the OEM manufacturers (Eagnas, Pro's Pro, etc).

Thanks again, guys!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    why not take apart another one, paying FULL attention to where all the parts go?

3. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    You'd probably also want to take video of disassembling the other fixed clamp (so that you can view it multiple times), just in case you missed something when you put it back together.

4. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    Thought I'd try to ask around first before I disassemble another one in case it also breaks down. I'm sure that the parts go where they're supposed to. The only difference is that when I initially took it apart, there was a sudden snap before all the pieces fell apart. The problem now is that when I try to screw it back together, the clamp jaw refuses to stay apart because of the spring pressure.

The video is a good idea though, will probably do that when I disassemble the other one. Didn't know it'd be so hard to put back together, otherwise I would have never done it :rolleyes:

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That's what the world's first surgeon said. But he didn't give up -- and now we have face transplants and butt-lifts! So keep plugging away and you too can achieve great things! Keep us posted. :)

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Can you send it to someone in US to put it back together for you? Because that person will tell you the spring is in wrong place?

7. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    I wish I could send it to the US to put it back together but I'm not sure the cost will be worth it. As for the spring... if only that were the case, then it'd be much easier to fix.

I put the parts according to how they were when it was dismantled. The other clamp also shows the spring and that small cylindrical piece in the same places that I put it. Now, I'm just wondering if that spring was compressed at certain angles to achieve the clamping effect but I also don't see how that would work.

Maybe a short clip is in order?

8. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

I think you might have mixed up metal pin and the spring in the handle. See photo of my Pro's pro universal clamp. Also notice there are two springs in the toothed part in the back, I haven't seen those springs in your photo...
    clamp.JPG
    Hope that helped :)

9. stradrider

Actually, after looking again, I think you are missing those two springs...

10. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    Thank you, stradrider! That makes a LOT more sense now, given that I couldn't get the clamp jaws to stay open. I will look around the area where the clamp jaws suddenly snapped and hope they are still around.

11. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    ... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand FIXED!!! Thanks again to everyone for giving ideas, suggestions, and pointing out missing pieces! Guess it really wasn't so hard after all, after figuring out there was a missing piece or two.

12. stradrider

Glad to hear you could find the missing pieces! :)

I am still collecting missing pieces in my stringing technique though... :rolleyes:

13. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    I'm sure you'll find those missing pieces in no time at all. Practice definitely makes perfect!