Life of Packaged String

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by vctrku, Dec 10, 2012.

1. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Hi, I am planning on buying a few packages of BG 80 online instead of paying for it from the stringer, so just paying for the labour cost, as that would end up much cheaper. I would just like to ask how long do unused strings sitting in their packaging, or reels last? Does the string actually degrade just from age, or is it completely fine sitting in the sealed package? Then, would there be a difference between separately packaged strings, and reels? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

2. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Good questions, I also want to know the answers too !! :)

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Most stringers who buy reels tend to use the strings often enough to justify buying reels. I personally don't string enough of a particular string to justify buying 200m reels. I do have single packets of BG70Pro which are over 20 years old now. I can't see any degradation of the strings but it's hard to tell without stringing.

However, some people do say that single 10m packets are better as the string stay crisper since the string is not expose to humidity. So I guess, if I had a choice of either strings from a 200m reel thats been open for a long time and a fresh packet of 10m strings, I would most likely choose the single 10m packet.

4. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Vacuum pack it and put it in a safe. The strings will not be exposed to air, UV, and risk of physical harm. Should last a life time. :p

5. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

I am also using Gosen GS88 n Roots Aermet BS. They should be over 10 years old and yet they play fine at tensions 25-26 digital.

6. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    I'm looking at the packaging on my string, and the expiry date says: NEVER, YOU FOOL!
    what does yours say?

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    you guys are funny, very entertaining!!!!

what i would do if i get a reel is probably the same thing i do with shuttles. since i'm a big fan of cigars and i don't have an electric humidifier, i usually buy packages of gels which releases a certain chemical to make a particular confined space more humid, i.e. a humidor, or...a tube of feather shuttles. because these packages last about 3mos once you opened it, i can pull it from tube to tube till three months later. this way the shuttles are kept at a constant humidity as oppose to using steam or soaked in water where the shuttle will get dried again. i think you can do the same with strings as well if you want. but i've never done it and i don't know if an environment that's TOO humid can be bad for strings but i haven't had any problems with my shuttles :)