User Tag List

View Poll Results: how long does your string last you?

Voters
1601. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 2 weeks.

99 6.18%
  • 2 weeks - 1 month

242 15.12%
  • 1-2 months

306 19.11%
  • 2-3 months

279 17.43%
  • 3-6 months

276 17.24%
  • more than 6 months

399 24.92%
Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does choosing strings also include how head heavy or head light a racket is? I planning on using BG80 on a head light racket..is it suitable?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moore_shady View Post
    does choosing strings also include how head heavy or head light a racket is? I planning on using BG80 on a head light racket..is it suitable?
    Not for me, i dont know about others

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to break strings quite regularly, then I bought a stringing machine to do my own restrings and I stopped breaking strings. They fray in the middle and in the end I usually restring them when they start getting worn halfway through. I guess this means that I stopped mis-hitting, or that my stringing has an even tension. With uneven tension, one string will slide across another, and then eventually break. Could also be that I use quite a low tension, but have a new racquet, strung at 22lb so will see how this goes, as I am now mis-hitting a lot (changing from oval to iso and different weight).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just snapped some within 6hours of getting them done strung lower aswell, grr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a recreation player so i'm finding string tension that suitable for me. I've tried a lots 20,22,23 lbs and 25lbs for my head heavy racket.

when I play at 23 lbs about 2 months (some one told me that's I'm good at technique and footwork but string tension is too high for me and I should play about 16 lbs, but I played ok for own estimation), then I play at 20 lbs I play bad on drops and error placement expected.

So now I don't know what is my problem. Is it string tension or other problem?
    Does some one guide me which tension is suitable for me. It's should be good for me next string

Thanks
    Last edited by Tealor; 02-07-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tealor View Post
    I'm a recreation player so i'm finding string tension that suitable for me. I've tried a lots 20,22,23 lbs and 25lbs for my head heavy racket.

when I play at 23 lbs about 2 months (some one told me that's I'm good at technique and footwork but string tension is too high for me and I should play about 16 lbs, but I played ok for own estimation), then I play at 20 lbs I play bad on drops and error placement expected.

So now I don't know what is my problem. Is it string tension or other problem?
    Does some one guide me which tension is suitable for me. It's should be good for me next string

Thanks

I would definitely say that if your technique and footwork is decent, 21-23 is not a problem at all. String tensions of 21-23 is ideal for starters. That "someone" did not give the correct advice because I have never seen strings under 18 lbs (the 18 lbs came from old-no name brands that costs like 20 dollars). It shouldn't be a technique problem, try 22 lbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by erictung View Post
    I would definitely say that if your technique and footwork is decent, 21-23 is not a problem at all. String tensions of 21-23 is ideal for starters. That "someone" did not give the correct advice because I have never seen strings under 18 lbs (the 18 lbs came from old-no name brands that costs like 20 dollars). It shouldn't be a technique problem, try 22 lbs.
    Thank you, erictung. That's good reason I should try next string.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tealor, you can not just consider the tension without consider string. If you use thinner string, then you can go higher on tension.
    String makes lot of different.
    I would suggest you to lower 1lb on your current string tension. If the string tension is right, you should not feel your arm is hurt when you swing from back court to back court.
    drop and placement can be adjusted once you get used to the tension.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sepang View Post
    Tealor, you can not just consider the tension without consider string. If you use thinner string, then you can go higher on tension.
    String makes lot of different.
    I would suggest you to lower 1lb on your current string tension. If the string tension is right, you should not feel your arm is hurt when you swing from back court to back court.
    drop and placement can be adjusted once you get used to the tension.
    Just to clarify this statement, are you saying that thin strings should be strung at higher tensions to get the same feel as thick strings at a lower tension? If you are than you have things back to front. Thick strings will feel "softer" at the same tension as a thin string.

For example Ashaway zymax 62 (string thickness 0.62mm) strung at 24lbs feels about the same (to me) as Ashaway zymax 70 (string thickness 0.70mm) at 28 lbs. Zymax 70 strung at 24lbs is very soft compared to the zymax 62 at a tension of 24lbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that you will feel thickness string is softer as compare to thinner string at the same tension level. As you continue to increase the tension to a certain level, you will feel that it is required more muscle power to handle thickness string than thinner string.

Higher tension generates stronger smash power. At the same time, it is required stronger arm to handle higher tension. I play comfortably with NBG98 at 25lb and play BG65 at 23lb. If I play BG65 at 25lb, I need extra muscle strength to handle it. Same muscle strength, I can go higher tension on thinner string. That's what I mean.
    Last edited by sepang; 06-03-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1hr VS850 @ 28lbs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you post the broken string? My guess that the person who strings the racket is not doing the proper job.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am fairly confident that it was strung correctly, seeing as the national team use the same stringer so i have full confidence in the stringers ability. The thing is i hadnt mishit so far...

I cut the strings immediately anyway to prevent stress on the frame. So no picks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is hard to see the string strung properly or not from eyes but it can be judge by looking at the string break point. If string cross-connect is not handle properly, every stroke will result of string collision at cross-connect point and break within short duration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I guess it depends on the strings.. I've broken BG85 in 1 - 3 sessions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sepang View Post
    I agree that you will feel thickness string is softer as compare to thinner string at the same tension level. As you continue to increase the tension to a certain level, you will feel that it is required more muscle power to handle thickness string than thinner string.

Higher tension generates stronger smash power. At the same time, it is required stronger arm to handle higher tension. I play comfortably with NBG98 at 25lb and play BG65 at 23lb. If I play BG65 at 25lb, I need extra muscle strength to handle it. Same muscle strength, I can go higher tension on thinner string. That's what I mean.
    I don't know if it's just me but I play BG 65 @ 27 lbs and BG 80 @ 27 lbs as well (I use the BG 65 on my training racket) and I feel no problems using BG 65 but when I use BG 80 I feel slight pain in my arm the first couple of days I strung the racket. Whereas, when I use BG 65, it didn't hurt at all whenever I restrung it. On the BG 80 package, it says recommended stringing tension 1-2 lower than what you usually play. BG 80 is a thinner string in comparison to BG 65.

Just posting my own experiences out there ^_^

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 months so far (since April) with BG80 @ 25lbs on my VT80. Hasn't snapped yet but I can see it fraying. So I will get it re-strung soon. Think I will give BG66UM a try and see the difference. Maybe up it to 26lbs.

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast