European Games

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Littlejohn, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    Recently been announced that Europe is going to have its own games, on a par with the Asian and Pan American Games, Azerbaijan being touted as the first host, Athletics bodies have not been exactly enthusiastic about the idea but how will Badminton react, will this fit in with what is already a crowded programme?

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    if it brings in more revenue for the sport and raises its popularity, why not.

3. phili

phili Regular Member

Fyi Badminton is one of the few sports that will be part of the European Games. I think it's a good thing especially for the not top European Badminton players.

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I think they would probably scrap the current (badminton)European championships and play them at the European games instead. This would mean it would not over crowd the calendar and maybe boost the European championships status.

5. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    That is only relevant if the dates corresponded, if the new Games were held on the dates that the European Championships are held. It will be interesting to see which sports can arrange their world class events to accomodate the proposed games. Would Europes top ranked badminton players miss out on a super series event and the ranking points they carry, simply to partake in an event that would most probably, like the Olympics, not carry any ranking points

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i am new to professional tournament games and i am wondering why any tournament would not provides points for standing like the olympics?

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

They are talking about having it in spring so the dates might match up, but by not over crowding i meant the amount of tourneys they play in the season as a whole. I think they will work together to make sure it does not clash with another major tournament as it will surely be a BWF sanctioned. By the way you get many ranking points for the Olympics.

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

They do provide points at olympics more than any other tournament except World Champs.

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The Olympics does indeed give you ranking points actually, equivalent to a World Championship iirc which it more or less replaces on the calendar. Other continental games also give points (Pan-Am in any case).

The Games appear to be planned for June 2015, which for swimming is scheduled to the fullest already with no doubt the tv deals in place already. Something I did read for athletics which will have their World Championship in 2015 and well summer is their regular season (Diamond League).
    The good thing if these two sports wouldn't participate is: more tv time for other sports :). The possible bad thing about that: is tv interested at all without them? But it will probably be a "public interest" thing and the national broadcasters forced to show it anyway :D

The other targeted sports can use all the publicity they can get so I'm sure they'll make room with or without sacrificing participation. Badminton also has a World Championship in 2015 and a Premier SS in June so I can imagine the top players to skip this event although in light of Olympic Qualifying it might be easier points to pick up. Thinking about this, they might indeed replace the European Championships, which is held before the start of the Olympic cycle, with this so the points count for qualifying.

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Interesting, can't see how these games would ever work to a European audience without Athletics and Swimming. I read an article that said spring which is March/April/May(Europe), Arranging it within these months would make more sense given what you said about these main events.

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Read the Opening Ceremony was scheduled for June ...
    As far as swimming is concerned, iirc the European Championship was in May, some regular swim meets "grand prix" are held in June and the World Championship is in July. For athletics, iirc European and World Championship are never held in the same year so it replacing an EC is already off the table. Plus the outdoor season only starts in April ...
    But this first one is supposedly more or less a test event for the 2019 one so whether or not these two sports are included might not be as big a deal yet, however strange a Continental Games without athletics will appear ...