Do you guys remove original grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by dollargood, Dec 13, 2012.

1. dollargood

dollargood Regular Member

Just got Arc10, should I replace another grip or just use the original? Any pro or con using original grip?

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I keep the original grip as well as the plastic that's over it and add an overgrip :)

3. dollargood

Can we use the original grip? any pro n cons?

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Of course you can use the original grip, thats what its there for. I personally don't use it, like yan.v I leave the cellophane on it and put an overgrip on top. Some people don't like to have a big grip so would use the original grip until its worn and then replace the original with a replacement grip.

5. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Original griips are usually of very good quality, especially with Yonex's high end models. So I don't see why you wouldn't use it if you want to :)

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    the cushioning comes mostly from the original grip or a replacement grip if you want to replace the original grip with something else. the tacky feel comes mostly from overgrips.

i usually just keep the original grip, and wrap an overgrip over the original grip with 1/3 overlap so there's a ridge feel to it. for a more comfortable feeling, do 1/2 overlap which means you get to increase the thickness of your grip by two layers of overgrip :)

7. Danze

Danze Regular Member

I personally would never remove original grip. It ruins the value of the racket, a yonex racket with a yang yang grip or whatever would be weird. I always just put non sticky overgrip over mine, i have never played with my original grip, it is white (VTZF) and it is still 99.9% white If I were to resell it, people would be happy to buy it at a reasonable price as it seems like brand new.

8. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Do you plan to RESELL later ? If not, then do as you please ... but if you do plan to resell in the future then having the original grip in pristine condition is a PLUS point ...

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i am just wondering, if you leave the cellophane on when u put an overgrip on top, what happen after a month or two of using the overgrip and when it's time to replace the overgrip? Would the cellophane be all torn and worn?

10. shosasakigamba

shosasakigamba Regular Member

Buyer
    Take it off like a band-aid, just commit, then put towel grip on, perfect.

11. dollargood

Quite true, will use it then change after worn off. thks

12. dollargood

Nope. Thks

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The original grip is not going to stay clean forever and if you don't want a thicker handle you will have to remove it anyway, either immediately when it is still clean or after it has been worn out/dirty.
    As for "re-sale" value: only for recreational players do they care if the original grip is still on :rolleyes: ... :p [not completely true of course but some are led to believe it mysteriously might be newer than one with equal use without the original grip]
    They are tools to be used and abused :D ...

Also original ARC10 grips are available like here http://www.mybadmintonstore.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_29_51&products_id=515#.UMsrBOlVDJ0

#13 demolidor, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  14. dollargood

Sp i just carry on using the original grip first?

15. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Just enjoy yourself and use whichever grip you like best ...

16. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I never keep the plastic on...it makes the overgrip move around too much when playing.

As for removing the overgrip, it depends on the grip size. Usually I try an overgrip first and if it makes the grip too big then I remove the original grip and use a replacement grip instead.

17. Porky

Porky Regular Member

It's really about wat grip size u want....with original grip + overgrip, it's still thicker overall than a replacement grip without original grip....so personally i go for replacement grip without original grip and on the wood, i juz wrap a layer of electrical tape to protect the wood...if i want more spongy feel, i'll wrap another layer of the thin sponge (dunno wat's the actual name of the sponge)

18. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Before wrapping my RKEP Ultimate Grip I usually take the plastic and wrap it on top of the original grip so when I remove it in the future, it won't leave a sticky residue mess. And yes I may be different by wrapping a replacement grip on top of the original grip, but hey it's all down to personal preference. I used to use regular overgrips, but that caused blisters :/

Since a replacement is obviously thicker, and I wrap it on top of the original grip, would this affect the overall weight/balance of the racket?

19. kadafi39

kadafi39 Regular Member

what do you do if the original grip is stitched on? is it easy to remove cleanly?

20. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

It's not really easy to remove. When I did it, some part stayed on and I couldn't remove it completely... but for me it's ok, as you don't really feel it, when you're done with wrapping.
    Moreover, I noticed that my headlight racket felt more "headheavy" than before (with the original and the additional grip)...