FYI: Shipping Cost for buying a stringing machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by mg27, Oct 16, 2003.

1. mg27

mg27 Regular Member

Hi fellow-baddies:

Is this the true cost of ordering a stringing machine? Has anybody been charged the postage cost of $ 50? I'm hoping for a lower US$ too - makes my purchase cheaper.

How about other companies like Eagnas (Maxline) - same charge?

thnx
    mg27

Thanks for your e-mail. Actually, we usually ship to Canada via USPS. Not only will you save brokerage fees, but there will be no duty since our products are made in the USA. The only additional charge you'll have is the GST Tax that the Canadian government will collect once the package crosses the border.

The postage cost for a Klippermate to Canada is $50.00.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
    Klipper USA

******************8:D :D

2. wickeddrop

wickeddrop Regular Member

Just ask them how much the weight is and enter the info on the www.usps.com webstie yourself, most times, the stringing machine is very heavy.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Shipping from US to Canada is quite expensive. Of course, the heavier the stuff is, the more u have to pay. String machine is not very big, but kinda heavy in term. My estimation about M140 package is around 20lb?

Also, shipping is one thing, and many company does charge handling as well. Therefore, that $50 (assume USD?) should the sum of both.

4. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I think Eagnas charged me US$25 for shipping via UPS. However, UPS then charged me almost Cdn$50 for taxes, duties, and brokage fees. Sucks big time...

-Rick

5. BobbyGeneric

BobbyGeneric Regular Member

IT professional
    i just got an M140 in canada quite recently and yeah, there's $50US shipping and also duties, but in the end it's worth it! quite a good machine and from what i hear better than similarly priced eagnas models

6. mg27

mg27 Regular Member

Hey BobbyG:

How much were the duties when you bought your machine?

thnx
    MG27

7. BobbyGeneric

BobbyGeneric Regular Member

IT professional
    i bought the machine w/ a few other things like their strings, grips (these are decent and cheap!), and duties were ~$40CAD

8. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Shipping a Klippermate to you should cost $44.25USD by USPS and you won't be charged brokerage fees. Klippermate or USPS might be charging you a $5 handling fee to bring the total shipping cost to approx. $50. The advantage with USPS is that they have a flat rate of $44.25USD to ship a package under 30lbs. anywhere in Canada.

Here is another option that you might want to look into:

Because USPS charges a flat rate, you could also look into shipping by UPS as it might actually be cheaper, depending on where you live. However, make sure you tell the company that you want to clear the package through customs yourself. You'll have to drive out to the nearest customs office-UPS depot, most likely your local airport, and sign some papers to clear it yourself. This is what a friend did recently to save himself the insane UPS brokerage fees. I'm not 100% on the exact methodology of this process so you'll have to confirm the details for yourself.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

9. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Why did you have to pay duty on an item made in the USA? Klippermate even stated that you shouldn't have to pay duty. Unless you're referring to the 7%GST? But even then how did that add up to $40CAD in duties? Could you clarify that for us? I've been told by some friends that it almost seems random/luck whether they've had to pay duty on goods purchased and shipped from the US. Sometimes they get charged and sometimes they don't. And to confirm your shipping method, did you get your machine shipped via UPS or USPS?

10. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

UPS has one of the highest brokerage fees i've ever heard of... i think triple that of fedex...? :eek: