Training to use stiff racket

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by samir12, Dec 15, 2012.

1. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Hey guys, I'm a singles player, I'm sort of between offensive and defensive. I currently have an Yones Arcsaber 009dx racket, but feel that it is too stiff for me and so at times I find it quite difficult to clear to the back of the court. I also I feel a bit of pain on my shoulder when I finish playing.

I don't intend on purchasing another racket but rather I want to train myself to use a stiffer racket more effectively. I want to ask what exercises I could do to achieve this.

Thanks

2. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Forgot to mention I'm quite a skinny guy :p

3. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

From what I've heard is do shadow swings with a racket cover on and make sure you are using the proper technique. Proper technique will prevent injury and a bit of strength will allow you to draw maximum power from that technique.

4. ChongHL

ChongHL Regular Member

Try to use high relulsive string e.g. Bg66um and ngy95.Lower the tension 22 to 24.I try it with 25 lbs. Its a good powerful racket.

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

If the racket is fundamentally too stiff for a player, then it is better to change racket or 'fix' technique rather than change strings which wont help much imo.

6. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Thanks for the replies guys, yeah I think I will try to practice my technique with the cover on. I do know the correct technique, its just sometimes in a match I don't really do it correctly (especially when smashing) so I guess have to get it drilled into me.

I probably will purchase another racket sometime soon but in the mean time I'll do the above,

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i think it's a great idea that you are thinking more about the drills and your technique more than your equipment :) i think if you get enough training you won't need to "think" about hitting/swinging the correct way, and that's when muscle memory just kicks in as something normal :)

from my experience with stiff racket, it's always my own expectations that pushes me to hurt myself, like i expect to smash as hard with a stiff racket as i do with a flexible racket, so when i don't smash as hard, i push myself harder why the same kind of swing.

just give yourself some time to get used to the racket with the correct training and gradually build your strength.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

As Chong points out, try a more repulsive string like bg66um or Zymax 62.

If you're finding your racket too stiff and your technique is correct, and you don't want to change the racket, your only option left is to change string and tension to ameliorate the stiffness.

You'd be surprised how significant the string and tension is as part of the racket system.

#8 visor, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  9. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

What tension would you suggest?

10. visor

visor Regular Member

what string and tension are you using now? and I'm assuming you're using feathers?

11. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

I'm using a BG65 ti string, tension 24lbs. I mainly use plastic for a knock about but use feathers for serious matches.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Then Zymax 65 or 62 would be good at 24-23 lbs for you. 65 for durability, 62 for repulsion.

13. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Thanks ! Will give it a try.

14. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

The key to using stiff racquets is generate power with your fingers and use proper forearm pronation technique. Never "snap" your wrist while clearing/smashng and also never try to generate power from the shoulders, and thirdly never overextend your elbow (ouch)

15. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    That is a very very important fact, thank u for clarifying! Since I tend to whip my racket I can't generate much power with a stiff racket, but at the moment right before I hit a smash if I tighten my grip just a bit I get more out of it than if I use my wrist or shoulder :)

16. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

How exactly do you use your fingers in a smash? I'm a bit confused

17. visor

visor Regular Member

From loose grip to tight grip at strike

18. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

I know about the forearm pronation technique but I don't feel confident in using it, I'm more used to using the wrist, I read somewhere forearm pronation requires good footwork where as using the wrist you can get away with not getting behind the shuttle, my footwork is not particularly great (it is something I am working on) but if its a real "must" then I will probably try adopt this technique.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Pronation is quite simple and is a must for power. Check out thejym's pronation video on YouTube and you'll see how simple it is.

20. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Yh, I've watched it a few times but after a few tries I tend to go back into "wrist mode" lol. Ill give it a shot, thanks :D