Carb Loading, Does It Work For You?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gundamzaku, Dec 19, 2012.

1. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    just wondering if carb loading works for badminton in terms of training and endurance.

last night before i played for the first time this week, i had vietnamese noodles with spring rolls for lunch. then dinner i had a small size (not personal size) combination round table pizza. after dinner i waited for about 1.5hrs before i started playing.

after 3.5hrs of playing, i feel that i still have energy to spend, but the problem was my body was completely sore and can't move anymore. how did i feel, i felt that i am not out of breath, meaning i can still run...if my body wasn't sore :)

anyone else had experience with carb loading before a badminton workout or even a badminton tournament??? please feel free to share because i'm curious to know whether carb loading is good/bad for the sport?

2. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

i always make a load of yummi noodles on training days

i used to do it back when i was boxing, badminton training is a goodnightsleep compared to boxing but if you play a lot of singles or really train hard footwork etc. over a couple of hours badminton also is very very tiring for the body

so to not lose energy in the 3rd hour of training i like to eat a looot of carbs some hours before training :)

i think nutrition is very important..im a bad eater...i can get a long with very low foodincome without getting hungry but when i do sports i must prepare to be full of energy :)

3. visor

visor Regular Member

For sure! I always load up on pasta, sweet yams, Vietnamese rice noodles, etc at least the day before. Then 1 hour before, I take a power bar. Now I don't run out of steam until perhaps the 3rd hour. But by then my muscles ache too much. :p

4. gundamzaku

working professional
    ever since i trained for a half marathon but gave up since i couldn't handle brown rice, i've noticed that on the days that i eat pizza during lunch or dinner, i tend to hit be able to play for a much longer period of time. i also eat pastas and noodles but they just don't give me as much increase in energy as pizza specifically! maybe it's just mental and placebo effect.

any other foods that you guys use to load with prior to training in sports?

5. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Pizza is not a bad one but it does break down quicker and doesn't sit in your stomach as heavy, whereas dense carbs like potato pasta and rice tend to send your body into food recovery mode, making your muscles not as efficient. Carb loading should be done well in advance of playing, or your body doesn't have time to digest it properly. ;)

The general rule with carb loading is that it is done the night before the day you play. But you need several hours of digestion

#5 AimUk, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

Pizza, sweet yam, muffin, bagel, white bread, etc. These are all medium high GI foods that easily digested and absorbed and good taken several hours before activity. For examples check out the Glycemic Index of some other foods. http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

7. visor

visor Regular Member

8. gundamzaku

working professional
    Thank you guys for the precious info! Hopefully I don't overdose and turn into a fatass!!!I guess carb load at lunch time then play around 7pm is ok?

9. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Talking about carb loading. Try Ultimate Nutrition Muscle Juice Revolution 2600. Time released carb with Whey protein. You wont gain weight if you take half the recommended dosage and exercise hard.
    Only side effect, you wont feel like eating after taking it since you will feel full mentally but the stomach will be grumbling :). The product is quite cheap for 11 pounds. I mainly use it for energy and recovery.

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Ultimate Nutrition Muscle Juice Revolution 2600 is the ultimate weight gainer on the market. It features 56 grams of protein in the exclusive Octo-Pro Protein blend that combines 8 key proteins. It contains 170 grams of time release carbohydrates to aid in carbohydrate digestion time to minimize bloating. In addition to the precursors to glutamine present in this protein, you get 1000 mg of glutamine per serving which includes the breakthrough L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine. This powerful dipeptide may protect against muscle degradation and provides fuel for exercise to help you go the distance. When you take 2 servings a day, as directed, with milk, you will receive 2600 more calories and 148 more grams of protein to help you exceed your weight gaining goals.
    A protein blend consisting of multiple sources of protein is superior to any single-protein source for sustained time-release nutritional support. Whey proteins such as hydrolysate, isolate and concentrate give your body a surge of amino acids immediately after you consume them. These proteins are great for lean muscle growth. Then the mid-release proteins take over. Egg protein is considered the most perfect source of protein because it is complete in essential amino acids, branch chain amino acids and glutamic acid. It is completely and easily absorbed by the body. Protein such as micellar casein, calcium caseinate and milk protein concentrate take much longer to digest and can be considered the extended release proteins, giving the body more time to fully digest and absorb their nutrients.
    This new formula also offers an exciting new addition to the carbs world; Karbo-lyn. This product was invented for the sole purpose of carbohydrate loading. It was designed for elite athletes looking for a fast, easy, and high performance way to load the muscle with accessible muscle glycogen. This high-tech carbohydrate passes through the stomach very quickly; 80% faster than dextrose or sugar, acting like a pump and pulling water and nutrients along with it.
    Not all fats are created equal. Muscle Juice Revolution 2600 has a Health Fatty Acid Blend with the healthiest of all commonly-used oils. They are low in saturated fat, high in cholesterol-lowering monounsaturated fat and among the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids and energy. MCT's mimic carbohydrates in energy, but unlike carbohydrates they do not typically get stored as fat.

[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

10. visor

visor Regular Member

if playing at 7pm, at lunch on that day:

- no greasy/meaty foods, like fried chicken, burger
    - no low GI foods, like pasta, legumes,
    - both of above will take too long to digest and will still be digesting and not be absorbed by the time you play

- take lots of medium high GI foods, like potato, yam, low fat muffin, bagel, pancake, white rice, white bread, etc

11. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

i made very bad experience with pizza
    i NEVER eat pizza on day of playing

12. visor

visor Regular Member

yah... gotta watch out for the cheese

13. 98745

98745 Regular Member

good son
    isn't it more cost effective and convenient to eat bananas? i eat one every hour during game/training session.. works for me..

14. visor

visor Regular Member

it is more convenient, but bananas and fruits have low GI values around 40-50, whereas potato and rice is higher at mid 70's

15. gundamzaku

working professional
    it's gotta be mental then, since a long time ago whenever i eat pizza for lunch, when i hit the gym at night that same day, i feel more energized. i would run 4 miles before lifting weights as warm up. and i haven't eaten any pizza for a long time, but this past monday i felt the same way after eating the pizza. so weird.

by the way, when you carb load, what is the quantity to load with? i try not to overeat in case i don't burn off all the energy :)

16. visor

visor Regular Member

^ you're not mental... :p... you probably had pizza with not too much cheese. if you had lots of cheese, your experience would be different.

how much to carbo load is in that article link... for 150lb male, 600-800g carbs per day ...which is actually quite a lot

17. gundamzaku

working professional
    this is what i get for speed reading while english as a second language, missed all the numbers, LOL! thank you for the clarification!!!

18. nariman

nariman Regular Member

banaana really works for me especially whn i play singles. You get the feel of instant energy :)