Looking for a Racquet...picking up badminton again

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by gti303, Dec 19, 2012.

1. gti303

gti303 Regular Member

Hi Folks,

I'll be as detailed here as possible. I'm 33 now. I used to play competitively when I was 14-18. At 19, I stopped, and never played again. Lately I've been playing 2x a week...I'm still waaaaay far from where I used to be, and will probably never be there again. I will be taking lessons again in the new year.

Anyways, my old game was all attack. I played Singles more than doubles. And I'm still using the same racquet right now...an Yonex Aerotus 110 (Which I bought on a whim back then...I really didn't know anything about racquets).

Now, I should be playing 1/2 singles 1/2 doubles. I am laying back from hard smashing all day long cause my shoulder isn't what it used to be (I sound like an old man). I would like to build an all around game now. I have NO problems with strenth on my for hand side. My back hand side has always struggled a bit with timing and may sometimes be short.

I'll be looking to purchase in the next couple of months once my skill is up to "acceptable" again. For now, the Aerotus will suffice.

Any reccomendations?

2. decoy

decoy Regular Member

It depends on your budget really. From what you said probably a mid balanced racket would be what you're after. Yonex is pretty easy to come by so anything from the arcsaber series would be something you could look at. Other brands have more bang for your buck though if you don't mind looking a little harder for them. Stiffness would be harder to recommend since you said that your forehand is plenty strong but your backhand isn't that sounds more like a technical problem then racket.

3. gti303

gti303 Regular Member

Thanks Decoy!

Yea I definately favor my forehand once I'm in the back court...I need to work on that for a while...

Would u reccomend something like the ArcSaber 10? Is there a comparable racquet from Victor since they are cheaper...The Z-slash sounds great too, but I think with me being so rusty, and will probably never be as I once was...the smaller head is probably not a good idea.

4. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Your current racket is oval isn't it? I've never seen it before so I don't know. The arcsaber 10 is nice, however the 8dx is IMO better if you like the extra stiffness it's also cheaper. You can look at victors meteor series they have loads of reviews on the forum and almost all are positive keeping in mind that the mx80 is EXTRA stiff.

5. RazerCutter

RazerCutter Regular Member

Media Consultant
    something less demanding like the mx60, bs11 12, sw37 would be good to get you back into the game

6. gti303

gti303 Regular Member

decoy: Yea my current racquet is oval. I'll take a look into the 8dx...I'm not sure if extra stiff is great for me right now...something in the realm of 7-8/10 stiffness should be right for me...

razer: Thanks. I'll take a look into those too!

7. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Z slash should be bigger than oval but razer is right a less demanding racket's probably a way to go for the start.

8. gti303

gti303 Regular Member

hmm...looking like the BS11 or the MX70 might be ok...

9. RazerCutter

RazerCutter Regular Member

Media Consultant
    yup, the yonex voltric70 too.
    look up on that as well

10. gti303

gti303 Regular Member

Just realized my racquet is 2U as well...man my shoulder is sore today after 3 hours...

11. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

This are your current important stats:

- An all round player (1/2 single and 1/2 double)
    - Decent arm strength
    - Playing 2x / week
    - Your having shoulder pain since your using a 2U racket

This are my opinion:

IMHO, the preferred racket spec that you must look into in regards with your current physical and playing style regardless of what brand it might be should be:

- An even balance racket for your current all round playing style
    - A 4U racket to ease your swings and shoulder load
    - Either a mid flex to stiff racket to balance that racket flexibility with your arm swing speed.

There are many rackets that can fit this type of spec and the list can be lengthy but then, its you will ultimately will make that vital decision which will ideally fit well with you as a player. Yonex Arc 10 will be one suitable choice that you can try. Victor BS 11 also can be your next candidate and if budget is your concern then Apacs Tantrum 200/300 fit the bill nicely as well.

Not playing for 14 years completely is a long time if that's the case and regardless of your past playing history, your current physical and playing style is what concern more and don't strain hard your shoulder that much at this stage. The racket that you will decide to wield later should be very friendly enough to prevent you from sustaining injuries especially if you decide to dedicate yourself back to long hours of training and at the same time, it also must facilitate your confidence to build back your technique of play.......and this is also the most important criteria that you must look as well. Good luck hunting.

SS

12. gti303

gti303 Regular Member

oh wow...I was fixated on Yonex and Victor...didn't even notice APACS...they seem to be of great value. I'll need to do more research now :)

13. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    I would suggest u spend a few months catching up on ur skills with the aerotus110 until u gain a more detail perspective of what ur weaknesses are and what ur needs are from a newer racket that the aerotus110 is not providing! And if u can wait, wait till you've gotten a few lessons under ur belt so you'll be advancing way further in you skills and be even more accurate on ur own evaluation :). That is if the aerotus110 is not broken :)

14. maxout

maxout Regular Member

... agreed and then WHEN YOU REALLY WANT TO CHANGE TO A NEW RACQUET ... go buy a Yonex CARBONEX 20 - it is THE ULTIMATE ALL-ROUNDER for both singles and doubles. It sits smack in the middle of all Yonex racquet chart and it is the benchmark reference (YARDSTICK) by which all the other "tweaks" and "add-ons" (aka other series like Voltrics, Nanorays, Arcsabers, etc ) are made from and measured against ... so think about it ...

Despite all the new racquet hype and marketing promotions by Yonex, Victor etc ... NOTHING on this post-Mayan calendar Earth still comes to close to it ... Don't take my word for it, I AM BIAS, but go and get one and play with it ... then come back and tell me ... ;) (PS: Just don't clear out the store of Cab20 like I did !! :p , let others have a chance to buy it too !!)

PPS: If you can find, Cab20 is "cheaper" than the others too !!

#14 maxout, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    bear in mind you may want to experiment with different strings and tensions.

16. gti303

gti303 Regular Member

Thanks guys.

Yea I'm going to be using my 1994 racquet until it breaks.

I value everyone's opinion on here, and as some suggested, I'm starting some lessons in the next few weeks. It'd just be nice to be "familiar" with what racquets I'd be looking at when the time comes. Theres so many pieces missing off my racquet I'm amazed its still held together...especially since it was in storage for 10 years.

Merry Christmas everyone!

17. gundamzaku

working professional
    i swear if i get a yen for every time you mentioned the cab20 i'll be rich in europe! LOL

18. gundamzaku

working professional
    to be honest, i've been looking for an aerotus110 for a while (3+ years) and i haven't come across a decent condition one except the one sold at racket supply near my home and the person wanted $100usd for it. it might be old, but it's a great racket. i used to use an aerotus 70, but it was cracked at 2/10 oclock so i restrung it hoping it would be ok, after one clear, it was gone :( then i bought an aerotus44 way later and it's not the same anymore. if you have a good condition aerotus110, it's should still fit your needs. from my personal experience, the victor bravesword11 is the closest to an even balance racket from victor because it seems like most if not all their rackets are somewhat head heavy. plus the bs11 is not too stiff, at least for me.

please keep us updated on your progress, i would love to hear about the racket you finally decided on purchasing...cos i know once you get yourself back into badminton full force, you'll be dying to buy a new racket...we all do!!! best of luck to you on your training!

Happy New Year to you!

P.S. just for your information, i wanted you to know that i DON'T think a racket can solve everything, and that i DO want to see you succeed in getting better and that i am NOT trying to keep you from getting better by tell you not to buy a racket but improve on your skills. i say this not because of you but because some members feel that when we put more emphasis on training than equipment, we're trying to keep you down, which is NOT the case at all. from your description, you're probably a better player than i am to begin with :)

#18 gundamzaku, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  19. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Sounds exactly like the situation i was in back in late july :)

20. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Hahaha ... and when you are RICH don't forget to buy a few extra Cab20 and sent them to me FOC ... then it will be the THE ULTIMATE BEST RACQUET coz it is a Cab20 and it is FREE for me !! :D

Seriously, when you read the questions, specs, type of play etc asked by most of the forumers seeking racquet recommendations, honestly, there is ONLY ONE racquet that fits their requirements PERFECTLY ... like it or not, that is a FACT :D ... which is why I happy to read in another thread that you are planning to get one for yourself too in mid-Jan in HK - COOL !! :cool:

If you love OVAL racquets, you will LOVE THE CAB20 (or CAB21 for those who want it a wee bit head-heavier ... ) but for well even-balance all rounder, there is no substitue for Cab20 .... it is just PERFECT !!

But for BEAST POWER players, I do recommend VTZF or N90 (not the "wimpy" N90II) ... I cannot handle them for full matches - too draining andd straining for my old shoulders but they are SUPERB weapons too ... The only Bravesword I would recommend is BS-11.

The one that MY LIFE (during a competitive badminton match) DEPENDS ON .... CAB20 ... :)

#20 maxout, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012