User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gti303 View Post
    Thanks guys.

Yea I'm going to be using my 1994 racquet until it breaks.

I value everyone's opinion on here, and as some suggested, I'm starting some lessons in the next few weeks. It'd just be nice to be "familiar" with what racquets I'd be looking at when the time comes. Theres so many pieces missing off my racquet I'm amazed its still held together...especially since it was in storage for 10 years.

Merry Christmas everyone!
    to be honest, i've been looking for an aerotus110 for a while (3+ years) and i haven't come across a decent condition one except the one sold at racket supply near my home and the person wanted $100usd for it. it might be old, but it's a great racket. i used to use an aerotus 70, but it was cracked at 2/10 oclock so i restrung it hoping it would be ok, after one clear, it was gone then i bought an aerotus44 way later and it's not the same anymore. if you have a good condition aerotus110, it's should still fit your needs. from my personal experience, the victor bravesword11 is the closest to an even balance racket from victor because it seems like most if not all their rackets are somewhat head heavy. plus the bs11 is not too stiff, at least for me.

please keep us updated on your progress, i would love to hear about the racket you finally decided on purchasing...cos i know once you get yourself back into badminton full force, you'll be dying to buy a new racket...we all do!!! best of luck to you on your training!

Happy New Year to you!

P.S. just for your information, i wanted you to know that i DON'T think a racket can solve everything, and that i DO want to see you succeed in getting better and that i am NOT trying to keep you from getting better by tell you not to buy a racket but improve on your skills. i say this not because of you but because some members feel that when we put more emphasis on training than equipment, we're trying to keep you down, which is NOT the case at all. from your description, you're probably a better player than i am to begin with
    Last edited by gundamzaku; 12-26-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: disclaimer needed

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds exactly like the situation i was in back in late july

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    i swear if i get a yen for every time you mentioned the cab20 i'll be rich in europe! LOL
    Hahaha ... and when you are RICH don't forget to buy a few extra Cab20 and sent them to me FOC ... then it will be the THE ULTIMATE BEST RACQUET coz it is a Cab20 and it is FREE for me !!

Seriously, when you read the questions, specs, type of play etc asked by most of the forumers seeking racquet recommendations, honestly, there is ONLY ONE racquet that fits their requirements PERFECTLY ... like it or not, that is a FACT ... which is why I happy to read in another thread that you are planning to get one for yourself too in mid-Jan in HK - COOL !!

If you love OVAL racquets, you will LOVE THE CAB20 (or CAB21 for those who want it a wee bit head-heavier ... ) but for well even-balance all rounder, there is no substitue for Cab20 .... it is just PERFECT !!

But for BEAST POWER players, I do recommend VTZF or N90 (not the "wimpy" N90II) ... I cannot handle them for full matches - too draining andd straining for my old shoulders but they are SUPERB weapons too ... The only Bravesword I would recommend is BS-11.

The one that MY LIFE (during a competitive badminton match) DEPENDS ON .... CAB20 ...
    Last edited by maxout; 12-26-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got back into badminton 4 years ago after a much longer hiatus than you, and what I've learned from the dozens of rackets I've tried, is that there is one out there that suits YOU and YOUR STYLE - and this has nothing to do with fashion. You'll be able to play with almost any racket and you'll get used to it, but you'll never get to a point where the racket just 'disappears' and doesn't cause you any hassles or grief.

If you want to work on an 'all-rounder' style, and want a racket that works well for doubles as well as singles, then you should start with an 'all-rounder' racket. Every brand has a couple in their ranges, and although the may not be fashionable, you'll enjoy getting to know them as I have.

YONEX - ArcSaber 10, ArcSaber 7, Voltric 70 (quite head heavy though)
    VICTOR - Meteor MX60, Bravesword 11 (old TW spec, current US/CDN spec), Superwaves 37, Superwaves 30
    KASON - Twister C7 (quite head heavy), Twister F9, TSF500, TSF300Ti

(These are the main brands I've had extensive experience with, I'll leave others fill in the blanks with the other brands. My recommendations are in Blue.)
    If you have any aspirations, I'd highly recommend getting a new racket with fresh strings. Whilst technology hasn't come leaps and bounds since the Cab20, rackets under 10 years old (or less) are generally better than anything before that.
    Last edited by Maklike Tier; 12-27-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    I got back into badminton 4 years ago after a much longer hiatus than you, and what I've learned from the dozens of rackets I've tried, is that there is one out there that suits YOU and YOUR STYLE - and this has nothing to do with fashion. You'll be able to play with almost any racket and you'll get used to it, but you'll never get to a point where the racket just 'disappears' and doesn't cause you any hassles or grief.

If you want to work on an 'all-rounder' style, and want a racket that works well for doubles as well as singles, then you should start with an 'all-rounder' racket. Every brand has a couple in their ranges, and although the may not be fashionable, you'll enjoy getting to know them as I have.

YONEX - ArcSaber 10, ArcSaber 7, Voltric 70 (quite head heavy though)
    VICTOR - Meteor MX60, Bravesword 11 (old TW spec, current US/CDN spec), Superwaves 37, Superwaves 30
    KASON - Twister C7 (quite head heavy), Twister F9, TSF500, TSF300Ti

(These are the main brands I've had extensive experience with, I'll leave others fill in the blanks with the other brands. My recommendations are in Blue.)
    If you have any aspirations, I'd highly recommend getting a new racket with fresh strings. Whilst technology hasn't come leaps and bounds since the Cab20, rackets under 10 years old (or less) are generally better than anything before that.
    on snap! i can't wait to see what maxout had to say about that, but generally i do agree with what you've mentioned. i am that all rounder type, not really great at any specific part of the game of badminton, that's why i still use the muscle power tour. while no one knows what it is or care to find out, it suits my game. i am happy when i play with it and it feels good in my hand! plus, it's not the best looking racket, with the paint color in between bright orange and bright yellow.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a guy who loves his MP Tours and actually sold off his Arc10 and Arc8DX so he could make it his go-to racket, so never say never! If you want some back court punch and you don't want to break the bank, it's a pretty solid option. If you've got a bit more cash I think a 4U VT70 might be better though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahahaa ... I agree with every statement except the BOLDED part - a bit sweeping isn't it ... why ? Just like saying, most of today's scientists are smarter than Einstein while none has make any major revolutionary progress .... hmmmm .... (analogy time: Einstein - Cab20; Isaac Newton - T-joint ... VTZF - Hawking ... )

Well, if you COOK (as in the kitchen) esp Chinese/Japanese cuisines, you will notice that the HARDEST and BEST DISHES are the ones with the LEAST ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS - i.e. you must use ONLY the FRESHEST and BEST produce ... namely for the Chinese - "steam fish" and Japanese - "sashimi" or "soba"

Likewise, I will say, in the Cab20/21, Yonex has reached an unintentional APEX (I don't think they planned too !!) in making an almost "perfect" FULL CARBON RACQUET (no added ingredients) ....

Since then, all they can do are "tweaks" in terms of materials and frame design ... agree or not, IMHO, isometric head design are better suited for tennis than badminton. Hence, despite my earnest desire (to get somethinge "NEW", I also suffer from NEW mentality ) and having tested all the latest and current iso racquets (including those listed by MT) by YVL (Yonex, Victor and Li-Ning), I still ended up with a "newly purchased" Cab20sp .

You have to try the Cab20 to know its "AGELESS" ALL-ROUND FEEL, BALANCE and POWER ... but the biggest hurdle and challenge you must first overcome is the "OLD" design mental block (Cab 20 is a 28 years old design) - btw, the latest Gosen Ryoga Shiden (cost 3X more) is an oval-design albeit with "better" materials, Carlton is slowing moving its frame design back to "oval" albeit with different names ... even VTZF is considered an iso-oval hybrid ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However if you really insist on an iso (new) racquets my best recommendations are:

Yonex - VTZF (if you can handle it - I can't due to my old shoulders but for those 30-odd minutes that I played with it, it was GREAT!!)

Victor - Bravesword 11 (this is most probably the racquet I will use should the world runs out of Cab20/21 ... )

Apacs - Tantrum 200 (cheapest of all the racquets I like and pretty good too !!)

Li-Ning - too over-priced to even consider .... and better alternatives available ...

... but ... the BEST (IMHO) is still Cab20sp ... and some more cheaper than any other above hahahaha ....

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, not a lot has happened since the full-graphite racket was first introduced, but as you yourself mentioned, there has been incremental 'tweaks' and that's a good thing.

The world certainly did not stand still when the Cab20 was released. Things have moved on.

The oval head is not the holy grail of racket design. What we're seeing is not companies 'resorting' back to something resembling oval, but rationalising the string pattern. There's a few things driving design, but string pattern is one of the major ones. The other major factor is that the less racket there is, the more aerodynamic it is by default.

I wouldn't mind trying a Cab20 though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... I wouldn't mind trying a Cab20 though.
    WHAT !!! You mean you have NEVER tried a Cab20 before ??????

No wonder you failed to "appreciate" the finer points I was trying to make about the Cab20, now I understand ....

It is OK, it is NEVER TOO LATE ... better late than never !! GO AND GET YOURSELF A CAB20 and give it a good go !!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxout View Post
    WHAT !!! You mean you have NEVER tried a Cab20 before ??????

No wonder you failed to "appreciate" the finer points I was trying to make about the Cab20, now I understand ....

It is OK, it is NEVER TOO LATE ... better late than never !! GO AND GET YOURSELF A CAB20 and give it a good go !!
    shoot, i've never tried one before either, no biggy, LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2