User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would drop beach volleyball. The truely competitive version of volleyball is already there. I don't think a typical leisure sport should occupy another slot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what you are saying. Trampoline, Artistic Gymnastic, and Rhythmic Gymnastic are considered the one sport under Gymnastic. Maybe they should combine badminton, tennis, table tennis, and squash as part of one "racket sport".

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fauci View Post
    I would drop beach volleyball. The truely competitive version of volleyball is already there. I don't think a typical leisure sport should occupy another slot.
    See above: both are disciplines of Volleyball, not separate Olympic sports (and as such bvb doesn't take up another slot unlike that without doubt seen as the ultimate leisure sport: badminton ). And beach volleyball is more demanding than the so called "truly competitive" version. Not that I am advocating beach soccer for example to also get on the program or replace this junior football called Olympic football. Have that reserved for futsal ...
    Last edited by demolidor; 12-23-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But in the end the number of participants is finite so you go on and combine several more federations [if the ones in charge are willing to give up their independence in the first place, besides having all sorts of implications on a national level] and technically open up spots for more sports but that would probably mean less athletes allowed per discipline. Not sure why they are hellbent on having a maximum of 28 "sports" otherwise trimming disciplines and events is the way to go for sure ...

For me tennis, golf should be dropped but I'm sure they are moneymakers for the IOC [I mean the financial gap with the rest of the sports/athletes is just enormous, so much it is almost embarrassing]. Although: making tennis Olympic has caused the increased focus on/popularity of it in (Eastern/mainland) Europe and helped make it what it is today.
    Technically Golf also meets the requirements for inclusion but rather than the pinnacle isn't it nothing more than another Major? But in turn, like in tennis, it could help it make the sport even more popular in other regions. After all Olympic status usually means funding as well ...
    But with Nicklaus, Sorenstam having led the bid and it having been Olympic in the past, in time it might grow to become a pinnacle [and some money will trickle down via IOC to other sports, well whatever doesn't disappear in certain pockets first ].
    This article sees some hickups in the Golf format and participation already http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/...be-boring-2016]

This explains the how to become an Olympic sport pretty clear: http://inlineskating.about.com/od/co...mpic_sport.htm]

And this is how an Olympic bid is promoted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Badminton's future in the Olympics

I was browsing the BBC website this morning and came across this article. Of relevence to us Badminton fans:

The decision about which sport could be left out of the schedule for the 2020 Summer Games will be made at an executive board meeting.

Taekwondo, wrestling, badminton and table tennis are believed to be the other sports at risk of being dropped.
    According to the article this board meeting is taking place on Tuesday (tomorrow!). The criteria they are using is quoted as including a multitude of different factors

The report analyses more than 30 criteria, including television ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity.
    With this many criteria any decision can be reasonably defended. This then opens up the possibility for the decision being decided by politics rather than merit. Without knowing the makeup of the board I'm not sure if this is of benefit to Badminton or not.

Has anyone else heard anything about this, how under threat are we from having our sport dropped?

PS: Doubt the match fixing has helped our cause
    PSS: The BBC has changed the article slightly so my quote is no a longer word for word quote of the article
    Last edited by HappySachs; 02-11-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

just drop a few swimming and track and field medals. those are unnecessarily inflating medal count for some countries/athletes.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    just drop a few swimming and track and field medals. those are unnecessarily inflating medal count for some countries/athletes.
    In the context of a medal table for ranking countries, the number of swimming medals is a joke. Even viewing that discipline outside of that scope there are far far too many medals; inclusion of pointless strokes (debatable), similar distances, team events. They give the medals out like confetti.

However reducing the number of swimming events won't decrease the number of venues required to host the Olympics, this being an important financial consideration for those hosting the games. Also politically I can't see it happening, a certain sponsor rich country wouldn't allow it .

Personally I think it's a nonsense that a sport such as Squash is excluded but you have unathletic sports like Equestrian, Shooting and Archery included. Of those mentioned in the BBC article I would be happy to see Modern Pentathlon booted. I've watched it the last couple of olympics and it's basically a naff version of the triathlon (no cycling) with some shooting, fencing and a horse jumping section that appears to be a total lottery.
    Last edited by HappySachs; 02-11-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12/02/2013

The Executive Board (EB) of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) today agreed on the 25 sports it will propose to the 125th IOC Session for approval as the core sports for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games.

The 25 sports are: athletics, rowing, badminton, basketball, boxing, canoeing, cycling, equestrian, fencing, football, gymnastics, weightlifting, handball, hockey, judo, swimming, modern pentathlon, taekwondo, tennis, table tennis, shooting, archery, triathlon, sailing and volleyball.

The EB recommended that wrestling, governed by the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA), not be included on the list of core sports. Wrestling will now join the seven shortlisted sports – baseball/softball, karate, roller sports, sport climbing, squash, wakeboarding and wushu – vying for inclusion in the 2020 Olympic programme as an additional sport.

The eight sports are scheduled to make presentations to the Executive Board at its meeting in St Petersburg, Russia, in May. The EB will select which of the eight sports to recommend to the 125th IOC Session for inclusion as an additional sport on the 2020 programme.

In an effort to ensure the Olympic Games remain relevant to sports fans of all generations, the Olympic Programme Commission systematically reviews every sport following each edition of the Games.

Golf and rugby sevens were added in 2009 as additional sports to the 2016 Olympic programme.

The 125th IOC Session will take place from 7 to 10 September in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    ###

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough break for wrestling. I suppose modern Pentathlon's advantage is that its events used facilities built for other events, so it is cheap to host.

Golf lol. I think the golfers are going to stick out a little bit in the athletes village in 2016 .

Good to see Badminton is safe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOOOO badmintons safe!!!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

from http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...mpics/related/

IOC members reviewed 39 criteria including worldwide audience, TV ratings, anti-doping policy, and ticket sales for all 26 sports from the London Olympics and then voted multiple times by secret ballot to whittle the list down to a final group that included wrestling, modern pentathlon, taekwondo, and field hockey.
    However, the decision isn’t quite final. Wrestling, which includes both Greco-Roman and freestyle disciplines, will now be thrown in against the other seven sports vying for a single spot in the 2020 Games schedule: baseball/softball, squash, wushu, roller sports, karate, sport climbing, and wakeboarding. A final vote will happen among the full IOC leadership at a meeting in Buenos Aires this September.

badminton didn't even make it to the final cut list group. we are pretty safe for now.

the list of potential new sport is interesting. i would vote for squash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    from http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...mpics/related/

badminton didn't even make it to the final cut list group. we are pretty safe for now.

the list of potential new sport is interesting. i would vote for squash.

I would probably put Wrestling back in, failing that I'd like to see squash. I'm kinda surprised that wrestling was dropped, it has a long history in the Olympics and is both physically and technically demanding. If I was a professional wrestler I'd be more than a little annoyed to find my sport had been passed over for horsy dancing and fat golfer's.

Guess it's money that's been calling the shots at the Olympics for a while now

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HappySachs View Post
    I would probably put Wrestling back in, failing that I'd like to see squash. I'm kinda surprised that wrestling was dropped, it has a long history in the Olympics and is both physically and technically demanding. If I was a professional wrestler I'd be more than a little annoyed to find my sport had been passed over for horsy dancing and fat golfer's.

Guess it's money that's been calling the shots at the Olympics for a while now
    cannot agree more.

i hope they ban caddies and golf carts in Rio. then those golfers will finally be doing some exercise.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

carts aren't allowed on tour (unless it's the senior's tour). Caddies are a different story.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I love all those (gold) medals, baseball is a more deserving sport than field hockey to be included (still, surprised they were on the final list). Taekwondo is only in because Karate wasn't organized back when, having multiple federations iirc. Seeing as Taekwondo still hasn't been dropped (), as good as no chance for Karate.
    As obvious a choice as Modern Pentathlon is, can you really drop the sport invented for the modern Olympics by the man himself . If anything each NOC should be forced to send an entry for it .
    Wrestling a surprise up for elimination sport for me as well, didn't see that coming although perhaps those more involved might have. Don't think there are any professional Olympic wrestlers, hope you are not thinking of WWE .
    I think Golf and Rugby 7's are a one off for Rio, with 28 sports there and back down to only 26 in 2020.
    I think Squash should be in if table tennis was dropped, seeing as that isn't the case i'd be surprised they will make it and if the Games go to Tokyo, I'm sure the Japanese will be strongly lobbying for Baseball (although those decision are made/announced at the same meeting).
    Personally I'd like to see Roller Sports included (but Squash as well) ...
    Last edited by demolidor; 02-12-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care. the olympics has outlived its usefulness. Badminton is big enough that it doesn't need an artificial platform to project itself.

world cup and the superbowl is bigger than the olympics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast