What difference does the weight of the shaft make?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by gerald1994, Dec 19, 2012.

1. gerald1994

gerald1994 Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys! Thank you for stopping by!I only know some basics such as the weight of the head of the racket contributes to the the stability and type of play its used for, eg heavier head is better for smashing etc..But what about the shaft? Does the weight of the shaft make a big difference? Additionally there's also flexibility of the shaft I want to about too! Can anybody share their experiences with me? Many thanks!! :)

2. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Usually we talk about the weight of the racket and not the weight of the shaft.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i guess you can relate the weight of the shaft to the density of the shaft. unfortunately, there are some materials out there that is light weight and very strong, so just because it's light does not always indicate that the shaft is flexible.

4. maryinbulb

maryinbulb New Member

manager
    yeah,i think so, just because it's light does not always indicate that the shaft is flexible.[​IMG]

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    sorry, my brain farted yesterday and forgot to answer your question :)

in general, and it's really general.....the more flexible the shaft, the more power you'll get. unfortunately, some people get more power from a stiffer shaft because of their swing. from my personal experience, since i'm not a fast swinger (LOL), and tends to whip my racket, i enjoy playing with flexible to medium flex rackets. i'm not saying i can't use stiff rackets since i have a few of those as well, but it took considerable training to adapt to them. i had to train myself to just swing faster.

if you want control, a stiffer shaft will help you, given every other variable stays the same. for front court playing, i find stiff rackets give me better control especially quick drives :)

hope this helps.