I got hit on my Head yesterday

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by mms6a, Dec 20, 2012.

1. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Yesterday we were warming up with rallying at a badminton place, we were playin doubles.my usual partner was not there today so i settle for someone elseThe guy looked like a advance player somewhat on par with me,But after a few rally clears, the guy was getting aggressive and hoggin all the birds.One of the birds was coming to me, he appeared behind me attempting to smash, rather than smashing the bird, he smashed my head on my right side with his Yonex NS9000 12 o'clock frame.I could hear ringing in my right ear and slight pain on my skullIt has been a day and half now and i only woke up this morning with minor headaches, and i feel bruised on my skull where thr guy smashed meNo blood or fainting or anything else, just brusing and slight headaches.I might have just lost some memory abilities and IQ points, way to go dumb partner, especially during then last few days of Final Exams t my universityAnyone else had a carbon badminton racket that gave a hard blow to your head?Any long term effects? Memory/IQ problem? I am a bit freaked out at the moment, but he did hit my head with the 12 o'clock frame area, so the surface of contact is quite small, but damn the area on my right side of my head is very bruised, hurts when my blood flow changes and when i touch it..

2. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

probably not so much problems if you still can post on BC.. unless you have forgotten how to paragraph your typing.... :p

just kidding.

do watch out of symptoms such as dis-orientation, nausea, vomitting, dizzi-ness etc. your skull probably absorbed most of the shock, but there is still a chance of internal bleeding, hemorrhages. see a doctor if you experience any of these.

i've never been hit so hard on the head by a racquet but i've had my shin suffer the back lash of someone's swinging. mild laceration and the bruise took a few weeks to heal completely.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Your skull should be stronger than his racket frame. :) Anyways ice it lots to reduce swelling.

4. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    I see, and i though badminton racket frames are strong (carbon nanotube and graphite)My head this morning is no longer dizzy, but still bruised.My Head is probably a little disoriented since my speech is a little slurred, other than that, i feel fine

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ice is a good method reduce swelling. If you are really concerned, then visit a doctor is the saftest solution. And get a good lawyer, just in case the result is not favorable... :)

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    what i noticed is that whenever a blood vessel is pressurized, if it's one near the head or on the head the pain always amplifies 2-3x. with that said, the pain is mostly from the bruise and it'll be around for a few day. if you actually feel that you have a huge bump on your head and it doesn't go away after a couple weeks, you might want to see a doctor to release the clogged blood from the bruise before it affects you permanently. my mom used to boil an egg, and when it's cooked she rolls the egg on my bruised area and the bruise goes away, i think it has to do with the heat unclogging the blood vessel...and the pain disappear.

on a side note, if you see that you're playing with someone who is good with executing shots, but not with rotation, then maybe you should step back just in case. because one way or another, he will hurt you either hit you or run into you.

the way i see it, if he/she hurts my body, it will recover, if he/she breaks my racket, it won't recover automatically, which will hurt me more :)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Did the racquet break?

8. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Update: my head is still bruise and hurts when I sleep sideways or put pressure on it with my palm. I do not have any bumps on my head thoughNope, the guys Nanospeed did not crack, my scalp and cerebral fluid probably cushioned his racket. If his racket hit a raw bone with no skin or anything, I am pretty sure it would have cracked.I went to my family doctor and he says is okay, no serious injuries.Buy my family doctor is not very serious, he jokes around and only saw me for literally 5 min after I swiped my health card.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    In absolute terms, loss of brain cells should be a very small number. In percentage terms, it's really small. If you have few brain cells to start off with, the percentage change will be larger.

You should be OK. Boxers have it far worse. Very annoying to have it happen!

10. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Sorry to hear about this situation of yours. It's a bummer! I haven't heard of such cases happening in badminton, much less seen it. However, I would say that your partner that day was a bit 'over the top'. To be so eager until you literally whack your partner's skull is really careless though unwanted. I'd stay away from partnering him in future. I hope it did not conjure up a phobia.

11. gundamzaku

working professional
    Denmark womens doubles player Christinna Pedersen hit a backhand and the shuttle hit her partner Camilla directly into her left eye, she till went on to finished the match. You'll be alright!

12. airy emirul

airy emirul Regular Member

student
    seriously ??? :eek: hahaha :D

13. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

unfortunate and unnecessary incident but pls stop whining and get over it

nth. happened and your doctor probably is indeed laughing that you came to him because of an everydaybump..
    imagine his work if every homemaker and cook visits the doctor if he/she has banged his/her head :eek::D

14. gundamzaku

working professional

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

15. gundamzaku

working professional
    didn't someone once said "pain is weakness leaving the body"? LOL

16. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    thats a marines quote, but urameatball said it like a week ago

17. gundamzaku

working professional
    thank you! i knew i read it somewhere on here, i think it was one of the threads i started too now that i thought about it :)