User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Why Did the string Broke in first Shot.

    Hi got this racket for stringing yesterday I strung that racket using Yonex NBG95 With Tension of 23lbs Mains & 25lbs Cross. Today After playing one shot the string broke. What might be the reason for this. Name:  2012-12-21 18.44.46.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  58.3 KBName:  2012-12-21 18.45.44.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  41.0 KBName:  2012-12-21 18.46.41.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  20.4 KB I am Re-stringing the same racket with same guts with same tension What can be the chances of breaking the string.

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Check to see if your grommets are sharp because sometimes old grommets or exposed graphite can cut into the string.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,084
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aqua26 View Post
    Hi got this racket for stringing yesterday I strung that racket using Yonex NBG95 With Tension of 23lbs Mains & 25lbs Cross. Today After playing one shot the string broke. What might be the reason for this. Name:  2012-12-21 18.44.46.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  58.3 KBName:  2012-12-21 18.45.44.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  41.0 KBName:  2012-12-21 18.46.41.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  20.4 KB I am Re-stringing the same racket with same guts with same tension What can be the chances of breaking the string.
    The relative lengths of the broken ends suggests the string snapped at the fourth or fifth main from the edge; had it broken at the frame, the strands would be more equal in length, so I doubt the grommets are at fault.

    That area is not normally clamped, so it could be that the string got twisted while you were weaving the crosses, but sometimes it just happens.
    Last edited by Mark A; 12-21-2012 at 09:21 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The racket is very New just 6-8 months back when I strung it had the original guts on it. I checked the grommets none of them are broken, damaged or has a cut in it. That's what is surprising me. I am very sure that it was not twisted at the time of stringing coz I use this crossway stringer. I could not find any scratches which might suggest damage at the time of carrying the racket or getting brushed at the time of picking shuttles. Is there any other reason why it broke or it is just a bad luck of the player.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It coulde be a various of factors:

    1. String twisted durng string
    2. String "burned" when pulling cross, usually due to "Turbo stringing"
    3. Damaged string to begin with, due to manufacture defect
    4. String damaged due to gripper / clamp edge / tightness
    5. String damaged due to broken / splitted gromment (not necessarily the ones next to it). Since the stringer needs to pull the whole piece of string when waving / going through gromments, it can be damaged elsewhere before being tensioned here.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Toronto & Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    682
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You all seem to be looking at the string, stringer and technique.... um... what about the player:

    I'd say the string broke because that's an off centre hit. Typical off centre string breaks are at the top two or bottom two corners. This just seems to be a rare case.

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    It coulde be a various of factors:

    1. String twisted durng string
    2. String "burned" when pulling cross, usually due to "Turbo stringing"
    3. Damaged string to begin with, due to manufacture defect
    4. String damaged due to gripper / clamp edge / tightness
    5. String damaged due to broken / splitted gromment (not necessarily the ones next to it). Since the stringer needs to pull the whole piece of string when waving / going through gromments, it can be damaged elsewhere before being tensioned here.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthHowie View Post
    You all seem to be looking at the string, stringer and technique.... um... what about the player:

    I'd say the string broke because that's an off centre hit. Typical off centre string breaks are at the top two or bottom two corners. This just seems to be a rare case.
    This was the result of a not so off center hit (4-5th main from the side), that's why people are excluding that theory.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,652
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Check the clamp. The string most likely broke on 3rd main. I see a small indent (or could be) on the 2nd cross on the right.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthHowie View Post
    You all seem to be looking at the string, stringer and technique.... um... what about the player:

    I'd say the string broke because that's an off centre hit. Typical off centre string breaks are at the top two or bottom two corners. This just seems to be a rare case.
    If off center hit, there should not be this much difference in length for the 2 broken pieces.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •