Yonex BG66 Ultimax

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Sandstorm, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Regular Member

I've read about a lot of people pointing out how the BG66 Ultimax is less durable than many other strings. Roughly, how long would this string last if strung @21-22 lbs, and the racket being used ~4 hours a week? I know everyone's playing style is different, but could someone just very generally estimate it? Thanks!

2. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

@21 lbs? A long time

3. Robin Chong

Robin Chong Regular Member

Air BalancingTechnician
    I string @ 26lbs only last for abt 7-9 game(2day)

4. maxout

maxout Regular Member

It is not the durability that is a concern, it is the MASSIVE LOSS OF TENSION and PLAYABILITY over a 2-3 weeks period that makes BG66U a "crap" string :rolleyes: ... It is the BEST string for 10 hours after that ...... downhill faster than a kamikaze pilot ...

Personally, I have moved away from Yonex strings and found great fun and joy with Gosen esp R4x100 ...

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    21lbs 4hrs a week, probably 2-3mos, cos usually that's how long yonex strings lasts. playing 4hrs a week is like playing once a week. but if you hit hard, 1-1.5mo, if you're just playing around for fun and not competitive during the games, probably 2-3mo. but that's generalization goes with every other yonex string i've used.

6. RazerCutter

RazerCutter Regular Member

Media Consultant
    thats y u need to tie with 4 knots instead of 2

7. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Regular Member

Regarding the loss of tension, I'm not planning to string it very tight. Most stores from where I live don't stock BG66UM, and shipping is pretty expensive (almost as expensive as one length of string usually), so that's why I asked about durability. Would the loss of tension be much less noticeable if I were to string it at around 21 lbs, or would it lose tension at the same rate?

8. Danze

Danze Regular Member

Why the new thread?... could have posted in the ultimax 66 thread you posted in just a while ago.

Anyway, for your ~4 hours p/w 21-22lb, probably about 1-2months, 3 months is pushing it. IF YOU DON'T PLAY HARD, as in smashing and clearing like a boss. if you do that, even if you are strung at 21lb, the string will go crap after 5 hours, and will be terrible to use after 10-15 hours. maybe a bit more since it is strung at 21lb.
    if it were like 27lb, it would last about 3-4 weeks or 10-20 hours, max, lasting only about 4 hours of good play, and 10 hours of acceptable condition.

its less of the tension loss, but the freshness and material of the string.
    whenever I get my rackets strung it always feels best first and second time playing with it when it is fresh. after all the hits, the materials loosen and the integrity fades away. the tension only drop 1lb -2lb which isn't really that substantial.

#8 Danze, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  9. gundamzaku

working professional
    I think the lost of tension might not be as noticeable because ur desired tension is pretty low already, and durability really spends on the way u play so it's hard for us to say, but with my experience its way more durable than say... Victor vs850

10. SteveLJW

SteveLJW Regular Member

I've been using this string for a few months since switching over from BG66. I'm not a hard hitter and the Ultimax loses tension quicker and typically lasts for about 1.5mth. I play 6hrs/wk and string @ 24lbs.

11. gundamzaku

working professional
    that's actually quite durable, and you're probably a consistent player that hit the sweet spot most of the time, if not all the time :)

12. SteveLJW

SteveLJW Regular Member

Still working on my timings actually. I don't mind replacing strings more often if I can hit harder with better consistency.:)

13. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    actually having 2 more knots makes the stringjob more prone to tension loss... Most people prefer 4 knots just because you dont have to carry the entire length of the string the whole time and because you dont have to predict how long you need on each side