Why is the "lowest rib" not marked on the T-shirt?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BadKitty, Dec 21, 2012.

1. BadKitty

BadKitty New Member

I was just playing casual games with a friend, we are both intermediate level. At some point, he started to serve with a backhand short serve motion but with a lot of force, so the shuttle flys very fast and flat, which makes it hard to receive. After a few of those serves I started to suspect that the serve was illegal in terms of standard rules, because I never see any professional players do it. Then out of curiosity, I looked up the rules and found the "lowest rib" rule, so why is the "lowest rib" not marked externally on the T-shirt by like a horizontal sticker or something? That would make judgement really easy for the judges right? I know the T-shirt probably moves around a bit and is not accurate all the time, but isn't it better than nothing? Because I watched a doubles game just now, almost everytime the receiving player of an unexpected flick serve stares at the service judge for a long time, as if to question that the serve was illegal...

2. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

good question..

3. rattos

rattos Regular Member

That's true but the tshirt moves around a lot like when you lift your arm so it would be really hard to assess the.serve. imagine in women's singles li xuerui starts with her shuttle hand very high so the line on the t shirt would not be at the level of the ribs, during the serve as well the t shirt moved around. It would be extremely confusing for the service judge, that's why they prefer using other references maybe seats... which don't move around.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    That is called a drive serve. It is easy to play legally. It is also easy to get it wrong and serve illegally. The reason it is not used at a high level is that a good receiver (as they are at that level) will not have a problem with this serve, and it will actually be a huge disadvantage to the serving side, rather than a problem for the receiver.

When professionals get flicked, they often look to the service judge, not because they think it was high (remember that they should be ready for anything) but because they know that many players raise their rackets when playing flick serves, which would take them above the legal height. The player that "got flicked" is hence checking to see whether it was legal - many players will slip into an illegal serve without realising it. They are also trying to influence the service judge, and make him declare the next one as illegal. They are trying to influence the line judge, regardless of whether it was legal or not. Remember: the pro should have been ready to receive the short lift! But they weren't.

However - it is still very easy to play a good flick serve without doing anything illegal. The best servers, like Lars Paaske, can serve anywhere legally, deceptively, and brilliantly.

Why is it not marked on the t shirt? Well, you would have to change the rules. The rules would have to reference the t shirt, not the ribs. Because there is no way the t shirt represents the ribs - raising your arms would raise the t shirt, so where should the line go? And with every player being a different height, you couldn't produce an accurate t shirt with the line already on it. It would be impossible to regulate, unless the rule changes to accommodate a decision based on the shirt, not the ribs. And then someone somewhere would find a way to wear their shirt even higher somehow.

In summary: They don't use shirt markings because they are not needed. The best way to catch them is just to look. If the shuttle is about the height of their belly button, thats ok, if its 6 inches above that, then thats high. If its 2 inches above the belly button, then its fine. There really is nothing to gain by serving "slightly illegally", as you can still play all the best serves legally with practice. Obviously you can't achieve the same trajectory, but you can achieve the same result i.e. the shuttle going past you quickly (for the drive serve). Even if the shuttle goes upwards (which is another rule), then you can still hit the shuttle for a drive serve trajectory.

Good luck!

5. visor

visor Regular Member

I would suggest to BWF that all players including women should play with crop top half shirt that exposes the lower ribs and down. :p That should make it easier for the service judges, not to mention increase viewership. :D

6. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    or players could take responsibility themselves and stop cheating :D