User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Grip for backhand clear

which is correct? where should i place my thumb??

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing my backhand with the same technique as that shown by LJB for as long as I can remember and it's served me quite well. When I'm out of position, say the shuttle has gone a little behind me, I would use the pan handle grip as shown in the first video. The grip shown in the first video allows for more variation/touch shots but I think LJBs more conventional way is the easier one to generate power, though I don't think he's shown the whole stroke in that video.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have completely gave out on bevel grip on backhand. It is all thumb grip on the side (like the Jimmy Lin's video, on the past body back hand). I find myself doing overhead if I can reach it. The only time I use backhand is when I am tricked, or caught off guard at the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting topic

Backhand is the most interesting stroke to learn + most easy way to bully a beginner. But also can give you a tremendous boost of cool looking and lot lot of respect from other people if you can clear and smash crosscourt with it

Picture speaks a thousand words

Name:  thbackhandgrip.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  127.6 KB

Above : Backhand God speak for himself. it may look like half bevel half thumb. But more biased to the thumb grip if you watch closely

And..

Name:  sasakipanhandle.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  32.2 KB

Above : Sasaki using panhandle ( or more likely a normal forehand grip if you see his thumb )grip to extremely bend that racket of him
    Last edited by -Berg; 02-02-2013 at 09:52 AM.