User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tensions

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

the comparison is hard to make, as string tension drops dramatically at the first few plays and then gradually after that.

your old string, strung at 22lbs, will have lost a lot of tension the time you broke it. it will probably be around 18lbs or so if not less. when you get a fresh string at 23lbs, you are talking about quite a lot of difference in real tension. and not the 1lb difference that you may think it was.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kwun is perfectly right imho!

whereas you may (or may not) feel the difference of 1lbs, it will not make THAT MUCH of a difference. 5 lbs will make a huge difference and that's probably what we're talking about!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    the comparison is hard to make, as string tension drops dramatically at the first few plays and then gradually after that.
    My string jobs do not lose tension that fast, but I use small diameter string too. If you are running into that, one thing I would suggest overtensing the string before you clamp it.

To do this, pull it with weight higher than your desired weight then back up. If you have a drop weight, simply give the weight a little bit of pressure to make a slight bounce on the arm. If you have a crank or electronic, give the string itself a little pull downward with your finger in front of the clamp.

This helps to take some of the slack out between grommets around the frame and flatten the string a bit around the grommet itself. I would say it takes a couple extra seconds per string, and you will loose a mild degree of durability in the string because there is more tension between the grommets (you run a higher risk of center-main breaks).

your old string, strung at 22lbs, will have lost a lot of tension the time you broke it. it will probably be around 18lbs or so if not less. when you get a fresh string at 23lbs, you are talking about quite a lot of difference in real tension. and not the 1lb difference that you may think it was.
    Agreed.

Much of the loss of tension in strings is simply from the string cutting into itself as the mains and crosses impact each other causing the string to stretch and fray. If you have a large diameter string, this can be much more noticeable and you will notice a loss of tension faster.

For tension around 20lbs, I would go with a lower diameter unless you smash like a madman. :P Pick up something cheap to experiment with first like Ashaway Zymax 67. Once you've got the right weight dialed in for your racket, then go for a BG 66 Ultimax or Nanogy 98.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The comparison was made, in relation to 23 lbs, after I restrung at 22 lbs, not before my tension dropped significantly. Additionally, I only used 23 lbs for a few sessions after I decided I didn't enjoy it. Anyways, this topic is rather subjective; I'm only providing my experience

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doxdox13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    My string jobs do not lose tension that fast, but I use small diameter string too. If you are running into that, one thing I would suggest overtensing the string before you clamp it.

To do this...
    Good suggestions, but can't help but think the saying "teaching your granny to suck eggs" comes to mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You lost me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You lost me.
    Have you read the stringing technique forum at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borbor View Post
    Have you read the stringing technique forum at all?
    Yes, but what does my grandmother sucking eggs have to do with this. 0_o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a nice article about string tension overall.
    Maybe it can helps.

http://badminton-coach.co.uk/272/why...arm-than-good/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i was just going to ask the same thing today, but i was hoping to leave it overnight and see if someone else would do that job for me, hahaha

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by doxdox13
    i was just going to ask the same thing today, but i was hoping to leave it overnight and see if someone else would do that job for me, hahaha
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teachin...r_to_suck_eggs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am familiar with the phrase, I just dont understand the application in this instance. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,

Are there any relation to the thickness of the string to tension?
    For example,

I use to play with 0.66mm string at 24lbs. Now i am switching to use 0.62mm string, do i increase or decrease the tension so that it plays like the 0.66mm string at 24lbs? Or do i stick to the 24lbs in any string that i use?

or if i use to play with 0.62mm string at 24 lbs, if i switch to a thicker string say 0.7, do i increase the tension so that it plays like the 0.62? Since the 0.7 will stretch during stringing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucsy View Post
    Hi all,

For example,

I use to play with 0.66mm string at 24lbs. Now i am switching to use 0.62mm string, do i increase or decrease the tension so that it plays like the 0.66mm string at 24lbs? Or do i stick to the 24lbs in any string that i use?

or if i use to play with 0.62mm string at 24 lbs, if i switch to a thicker string say 0.7, do i increase the tension so that it plays like the 0.62? Since the 0.7 will stretch during stringing?
    Any Help on this?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucsy View Post
    Hi all,

For example,

Normally you would want to lower your tension slightly as you switch to thinner strings to maintain the same feel and power which also helps with durability. However again, you're the best person to tell what is right for you. Each string is different and some may prefer to play with high tensions on some thin strings but low tensions for some thick strings.

The amount of "stretch" during and after stringing is a function of many things such as stringer technique, equipment, string type, racquet properties etc... not just the gauge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would require 26lbs or more usually. Can hit harder and accurately. Easier to control the shuttle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2